collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bears in the rain  (Read 2049 times)

Offline andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: RMEF
Bears in the rain
« on: May 06, 2015, 06:33:00 PM »
I'm just curious what bear activity is typically like when it's raining, probably a difference between the bears here in idaho and the ones in western WA. A buddy of mine who is a pretty successful bear hunter says they don't come out in the rain. What are all of you experts experiences with bear activity in the rain?

Offline Turner89

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
Re: Bears in the rain
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 06:56:14 PM »
I don't see them very often while raining.   :dunno:
" if your a 20 year old and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. If your a 40 year old and not a conservative,  you don't have a brain"

Offline Limhangerslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 07:01:59 PM »
I've seen them quite often during the spring bear hunts I've been on  in the blues.   And it can rain pretty good down there in the spring :chuckle: if it's not snowing!

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 08:06:47 AM »
Never seen a bear in the actual rain, however I do tend to go out less often on a rainy day.  I've seen bears when its an overcast day and looks like rain.... :dunno:

D-Rock and I have decided that bears hate rain... which is our excuse for not hunting in the rain.

Offline skagitsteel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
    • https://www.facebook.com/ryan.gaither.908
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 09:14:59 AM »
In the last three seasons I have seen around 50 bears, not a single one in the rain! (I shot one once in a very light sprinkle with a high cloud ceiling)  I have hunted in snow, rain, wind, sun.  I know some of the lack of sightings are because of limited visibility in rainy conditions, however based on my experience I would say with confidence bears are definitely less active in the rain, at least where I hunt.. :twocents:

Offline Longbowz

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 11:51:22 AM »
Interesting.

My experience is unless it's really down pouring I've seen as many bears in the rain as in the sun shine.  This is on the westside of the Cascades.  In fact a couple years ago I watched four bears eating berries on an open ridge.  They didn't appear until the clouds parted and I could see the ridge.  It was raining the whole time.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal