collapse

Advertisement

Poll

if you had to pick this season

west side deer
east side mule deer
east side white tail
high buck

Author Topic: washington deer tag choose ONE  (Read 35977 times)

Offline longwalker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
washington deer tag choose ONE
« on: May 13, 2015, 06:50:46 AM »
so ive been bitching about this for years. i believe you should have to choose your deer tag in Washington. much like you have to choose east or west for elk. now you don't have to tell me what the knee jerk reaction form 90% of you will be on this since most hunters cant see past there own desire for how they hunt and look to what will result in actual quality of hunting in this state. but here me out

this system if you will, would increase quality across the board almost instantly for every deer hunter in the state. it would also dramatically increase draw odds. some more than others but it would certainly affect the numbers no matter what your opinion is, that's just math.

ill use myself as an example. i am and have always been primarily a west side blacktail hunter. ive killed some really nice blacktail bucks and i love hunting them. however the way i hunt is as follows. i will start the season hunting alpine mule deer, either with my bow or rifle. if no buck i fall back to hunting west side general and late seasons where ive had the lions share of success in my hunting life. this would take me out of one of those hunts every year, making room and opportunity better for another guy. this year i would be out of both. i have enough points to pretty assuredly draw a poluse tag and access to hunt it. thats the hunt i want to do this year as ive never taken a white tail. so if i had to choose you guys wouldnt see me up high, or late on the west side or my name in the hat for a mule deer rut hunt. i can tell you now even though i want to hunt the poluse im still putting in for the mule deer hunts and if i draw both ill send the poluse tag back to fish ang game.

wouldn't you like to see my name out of that hat? wouldn't you east side guys like to see the west side hunter that hasn't seen a legal buck in 10 years of hunting mule deer but shoots a 2 point black tail every November out of your woods? how about you blacktail freaks that actually know what your doing, wouldnt you like to see the west side guy that uses blacktail as a fall back hunt from his first year trying the high hunt not crashing through your alder patch? i wont even start on the high hunt since ill end up derailing my own thread ranting about that one.

instead of the classic and pointless for or against poll i though a example of what the dispersion could be would be more interesting. so if you had to choose, it was already a done deal and bitching was pointless what would it be?

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
Re: washington deer tag choose ONE
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 06:56:38 AM »
Did Bigtex put you up to this?  :chuckle:   

Offline longwalker

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 06:58:05 AM »
one thing i forgot to add is this would make that multi season tag a whole lot more desirable. so i guess those odds would slip but in my opinion its well worth it

Offline longwalker

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 06:58:49 AM »
Did Bigtex put you up to this?  :chuckle:   

dont know who that is. like i said this has been my rant around the fire for years

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 07:09:28 AM »
Noo way.  Just limits opportunity and time in the field.  Seasons are short enough.
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Online CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 07:26:27 AM »
 :tdown:  :bdid:

Offline longwalker

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 07:31:31 AM »
Yup that's the knee jerk reaction. Now look at it from a management and quality stand point. I'd rather have quality than quantity

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 07:32:02 AM »
I understand your point and I was having a similar chat with a buddy last night. I like being able to hunt either side, yet I don't hunt westside. I wouldn't mind cutting back on what people can apply for each season instead of throwing their name in every hat. Maybe only be able to apply for deer or elk and also have to front the money for oil.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 07:37:04 AM »
I'm not sure about picking seasons or sides of the state, but I'm in favor of permit only mule deer hunting. Quality areas that remain hard to draw along with some more liberal permit areas given out to where folks could hunt or draw every other year or thereabouts.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 07:38:27 AM »
I will add that I'd be more likely to select the high hunt category if the seasons would be longer
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline flcracker

• Tracker
  • Groups: DU, TU
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 07:43:28 AM »
I will add that I'd be more likely to select the high hunt category if the seasons would be longer

I think they'd have to make all the seasons longer for most people to agree with it
Ain't nothing better than riding a fine horse through new country.
-Augustus McCrae

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 08:00:15 AM »
I don't like the quality over quantity argument...because what would happen in 20 years ? Next thing you know deer will be just like elk and people would want to do the entire state permit only......whose gona start hunting if you have to invest all this money to not get to hunt ? Hunter numbers would surely drop

There doesn't have to be a giant buck around every corner to make hunting fun...

Not saying that's what you wish longwalker but I can't help but think that's what it would trend into eventually

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 08:16:06 AM »
I like your idea longwalker.
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2015, 08:20:37 AM »
I actually have thought about this alot. I would be for a system where hunters had to choose say 4 GMU's that they will hunt for the general seasons. They would also be restricted to applying for special hunts within those same GMU's. If drawn for a permit, The permit is all you get, no general season.  :twocents:
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline emac

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 08:27:10 AM »
I actually have thought about this alot. I would be for a system where hunters had to choose say 4 GMU's that they will hunt for the general seasons. They would also be restricted to applying for special hunts within those same GMU's. If drawn for a permit, The permit is all you get, no general season.  :twocents:
That is an interesting twist and for some reason I like it

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by HntnFsh
[Today at 02:12:56 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw