collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: mynorthwest.com Wolf article  (Read 7642 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
mynorthwest.com Wolf article
« on: May 15, 2015, 03:04:23 PM »
http://mynorthwest.com/108/2761425/Video-evidence-wolf-has-crossed-west-over-Cascades

Something killed a lamb and several chickens on Heather and Mike Vincent's small cattle operation in Snoqualmie a few weeks ago. They called in the local game warden to take care of what they thought was a bear.

But Heather later came across a picture taken by one of their neighbors' wildlife cameras. It was a big, black animal, but didn't look like a bear, rather it looked remarkably like a wolf.

A few days after that, the Vincents received word that a wolf-like animal had been hit and killed just a few miles away on I-90.

There's now evidence a new predator may be moving in to Western Washington: the grey wolf.

"Of course it concerns us. We've seen what they've been doing in Idaho and what they will do when they want to kill for food or for fun," Heather said.

Still, some state and federal wildlife managers say there is no hard evidence of wolves living west of the Cascades. So they don't yet have a plan for managing them in this part of the state.

"It's more like passive management, if you will," said Eric Rickerson, State Supervisor for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in Washington. "We'll just have to see how wolves disperse here in Western Washington. There will be conflicts and we'll have to manage through those as those arise."

Others admit it is highly likely the wolves are already here.

"Absolutely," said Dave Ware, Wolf Policy Lead for the State Department of Fish and Wildlife. "A wolf can and will move hundreds of miles in search of finding a mate and setting up a territory. It would be expected, at this point, that we've got at least single wolves moving around in Western Washington."

Grey wolves are no longer considered an endangered species in Eastern Washington, but they are still protected elsewhere in the state. That makes lethal measures by individuals or state agencies a violation of federal law.

Ware said the state is currently working on a plan that would include a list of non-lethal measures they could take to deal with any wolves that might threaten people or livestock in Western Washington. He hopes to have that plan in place sometime this summer.

In the meantime, Ware has some advice for protecting yourself and your pets.

If you encounter a wolf, try to appear as large as possible. Don't run and don't look the wolf in the eye. Slowly back away from the animal.

Keep your pets as close to you as possible, especially at night as wolves are nocturnal hunters.

Dogs are a special concern because they are seen as a direct threat to a wolf's territory. Dog owners are advised to keep their pets on a leash.

For animals too big to be brought inside at night, keep them penned as close to your house as possible. Ware also advises electrifying the fencing around pens and pastures whenever possible.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: mynorthwest.com Wolf article
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 03:05:26 PM »
Trail cam video of the wolf if you click the link.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 03:37:05 PM »
Certainly looks like it could be a wolf. It doesn't look like the one in the trail cam pic that was posted recently from that area.
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 03:44:14 PM »
Grey wolves are no longer considered an endangered species in Eastern Washington, but they are still protected elsewhere in the state. That makes lethal measures by individuals or state agencies a violation of federal law.

The above quote from the article is not exactly correct.  It really should read that wolves are no longer considered endangered in the eastern 1/3 of the state.  :twocents:
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 03:46:37 PM »
If that is a wolf, it's got very short legs. The 6 wolves I've seen here, all had long legs and were a lot taller.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 10:11:27 PM »

The above quote from the article is not exactly correct.  It really should read that wolves are no longer considered endangered in the eastern 1/3 of the state.  :twocents:
Yea...and the last sentence you cite from the article is not right either. Lethal measures are far from a certain violation of federal law.  You always have a right to protect yourself/family etc...no matter how "endangered" the species is.
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 11:51:54 PM »
Looks more like fox than wolf, or coyote. :dunno:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 08:48:37 AM »
QUOTE :  Still state and federal officials say there is no hard evidence that wolves live in the Cascades ...Are we freakin stupid or what ???:bash: :bash: :bash: I need some better drugs !

Offline timberfaller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 12:47:44 PM »
 :chuckle: no, its "THEY need better drugs" then what they are ON!!
The only good tree, is a stump!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 12:54:06 PM »
That's a funny looking "wolf".  :chuckle:

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 01:36:45 PM »
I think the video was a different format than the youtube frame, meaning the frames were stretched side to side making the wolf appear shorter. Looks like a wolf on a wrongly formatted video to me.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline turkeyfeather

• Old Salt
  • Groups: NWTF
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 01:41:19 PM »
My first thought was.....wolf.  :dunno:
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is who you actually are while your reputation is merely who others think you are.

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 01:50:17 PM »
I think the video was a different format than the youtube frame, meaning the frames were stretched side to side making the wolf appear shorter. Looks like a wolf on a wrongly formatted video to me.

I think you're probably right bearpaw.  Head/ears seem like a wolf's but short legs scream somebody's pet hybrid that's gotten away.  Put some length on those legs, slim the body down, and you've got a wolf (proper screen/video forumat).  He/she is sure walking in throwing caution to the wind though which is curious.
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 01:57:10 PM »
I hate to be the hater but i cant wait till several elk or deer are taken down in the feild next to he Mount Si middle school. I dont want any kids hurt but a little reality check close to home I would like to see.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 05:48:56 PM »

I think you're probably right bearpaw.  Head/ears seem like a wolf's but short legs scream somebody's pet hybrid that's gotten away.  Put some length on those legs, slim the body down, and you've got a wolf (proper screen/video forumat).  He/she is sure walking in throwing caution to the wind though which is curious.

When in doubt, look at the tail. It's a wolf.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 08:43:32 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]