collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Guide for Desert unit  (Read 7817 times)

Offline abe henderson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Guide for Desert unit
« on: May 16, 2015, 06:55:42 PM »
Are there any guides operating in the Desert unit?

Offline rb2506

• Longhunter
Re: Guide for Desert unit
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 09:17:43 PM »
You don't need a guide for the desert unit. Just a few pointers
tagged out and going to town

Offline Bullkllr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 03:05:32 PM »
I'm sure you could find a "guide" (lotta guys know the unit and would be a willing hand) or a real guide who would do the job. Obvious hard part is getting the tag first  :twocents:
"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 03:14:04 PM »

And to be lucky enough to draw a tag.  :tup:
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

Offline Kazekurt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • The trophy is in the hunt; the animal is a bonus!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 08:48:11 PM »

There is a lot of truth to this if you're just looking to shoot a solid buck.  The area is not really all that huge in comparison to other gmu's and much of it is farmed so a few aggressive days scouting should put you on some decent bucks.  The  area certainly has some diamond in the rough areas that many of us locals know as lots of us have either hunted it for other species  or work out there agriculturally.  The toughest part is drawing the tag, with the second toughest part being locating a spectacular buck without shooting a decent buck first.  The area does not hold dozens of world class bucks.  There are a few B&C bucks to be had but lots in the 140-170 range.  The buck to doe ratio is fantastic but it can be a much tougher hunt than most people think to get a real whopper.  Tons of thick brush, swamp, tall sage, rolling dunes, etc.  The late tag gives you your best shot but you can come out on the early hunt aswell if you do your homework.  It can get hot quick in the early seasons and if you're hunting the big state chunk get in shape because hunting in sand is different than other terrain. Lightweight boots and even tennis shoes will work in much of the unit. The archery tag is reasonably obtainable but a tough notch.  Don't expect to draw a rifle tag, but if you do you should come out ok.  Hope this helps.

Offline mfswallace

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 11:07:30 PM »

There is a lot of truth to this if you're just looking to shoot a solid buck.  The area is not really all that huge in comparison to other gmu's and much of it is farmed so a few aggressive days scouting should put you on some decent bucks.  The  area certainly has some diamond in the rough areas that many of us locals know as lots of us have either hunted it for other species  or work out there agriculturally.  The toughest part is drawing the tag, with the second toughest part being locating a spectacular buck without shooting a decent buck first.  The area does not hold dozens of world class bucks.  There are a few B&C bucks to be had but lots in the 140-170 range.  The buck to doe ratio is fantastic but it can be a much tougher hunt than most people think to get a real whopper.  Tons of thick brush, swamp, tall sage, rolling dunes, etc.  The late tag gives you your best shot but you can come out on the early hunt aswell if you do your homework.  It can get hot quick in the early seasons and if you're hunting the big state chunk get in shape because hunting in sand is different than other terrain. Lightweight boots and even tennis shoes will work in much of the unit. The archery tag is reasonably obtainable but a tough notch.  Don't expect to draw a rifle tag, but if you do you should come out ok.  Hope this helps.

:tup:

Offline FeatherFanatic

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 09:18:43 PM »
I duck hunt the area and I've seen some nice bucks.. I have 12 points this year so maybe I'll be there ( hopefully )
The important things in life.. My Son, my dog and huntin

Offline DeerThug

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 09:25:56 PM »
Ooh OOh Oohh let me be your guide.  no actually get drawn and if i am not already committed i will go with you and range the shot, take the pics and pack the meat back to your truck. 
Shoot straight Shoot often

Offline MLBowhunting

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 09:29:50 PM »
Kazekurt hit it square on the head.  He knows his stuff.   :tup: 
Copper John Pro Staff
R.A.D Broadheads
R.A.D Peeps
Hot Shot Pro Staff

Offline ribka

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 07:45:59 AM »
Pm me

No guides but I know a guy who helps with tags there. Nice guy

Offline Old Man Yager

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, PRHAA
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 08:46:13 AM »
Ya, if you can get hooked up with some locals , that will be a good idea. Spend as much time as you can over there. I had the tag in 2005, I didn't scout it as much as I should have. After I was there for a few days, I realized a few things I should have done differently that would have saved me quite a bit of walking. I shot a 27 wide 3x4, not the biggest buck in there, but I was stoked. Good luck on the draw!
My Dad always said, " Get a bigger hammer "

Offline polishstunner

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 11:11:52 AM »
I am familiar with the area and would be happy to guide ya. I'm not a pro, but know the area well.

Offline highside74

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2015, 03:07:47 PM »
Dick Hemore at Mardon resort is the guy you're looking for.  Works for tips.

Only hunt buck brush which is the bushy plant about 3-6 feet tall. That's what they eat and that's where they are. You will waste your time hunting anything else. Can you get lucky and find one somewhere else? Sure, but 90% of the deer will be in the buck brush.  :twocents:

Offline trytough

• Tracker
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2015, 10:17:21 AM »
I drew the new early season archery tag and im stoked!! Any ideas on how this hunt will be.  I think it will be an awesome hunt, early season scouting to pattern the bucks for an early september hunt.

Offline mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2015, 10:22:20 AM »
Should be a fun hunt. Going to be tough but you should see plenty of animals out there. Spot and stalk i would guess is going to be the name of your game since there is so much water and feed out there id imagine they would be tough to pattern.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal