collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dog, mistaken for wolf, shot and killed by teenager in North Idaho  (Read 35645 times)

Offline WA hunter14

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Dog, mistaken for wolf, shot and killed by teenager in North Idaho
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 06:34:04 PM »
i guess everyone in nampa has a different attitude then up here, if you want those wolves to go away you have to kill them whenever you can. you dont take a dog off leash in the woods in idaho that looks like a wolf.

Offline andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2015, 06:40:45 PM »
No there are plenty of would be poachers down here as well but blaming the dog owner for the actions of a poacher is about the dumbest thing I've read all week.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2015, 06:41:10 PM »
So far I have seen 3-4 dogs killed by people thinking them a wolf, but I've seen probably 100 dogs killed by wolves.

Far more likely to loose your dog to a wolf than a person mistaking it for a wolf.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2015, 06:47:07 PM »
Not everyone in the woods is hunting, or for that matter training, with a turtle. A vest on a fast moving pointing dog busting through brush is something of a bad joke. Trying to stop it on command when it's 500-1000 yards in front of you is even more problematic. They don't run close, that's not how they are wired or work most effectively.

If a person can't tell the difference between a hunting dog and a wolf, let alone a malamute and a wolf, they have no business hunting.

True, but most fast moving bird dogs busting brush look nothing like a wolf...and they're in the brush making them hard to shoot  :tung:

All the dogs shot (mistaking for a wolf) that I've seen are slow moving malamute/Husky/Shepard type dogs.  A vest wouldn't hurt a thing on those dogs, and could benefit it greatly since those types of dogs will likely try to protect the owner from a wolf even if the wolf is really just after the dog.  A bright hog dog type vest might save a malamutes life from both wolves and people.

Don't give people an opportunity to mess up, if you have a dog resembling a wolf and run it off leash put a bright vest on it.
Don't pick mushrooms during bear season in a black trench coat.

Offline WA hunter14

• Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2015, 07:09:45 PM »
No there are plenty of would be poachers down here as well but blaming the dog owner for the actions of a poacher is about the dumbest thing I've read all week.

i didnt blame the dog owner for the guy shooting what he thought was a wolf i blame the dog owner for taking a wolf looking dog into wolf country and letting it run ahead of them off leash.

Offline mfswallace

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2015, 07:23:32 PM »
I agree, this article is pathetic.  :')

The only thing pathetic about this is that a kid was told by his father to shoot without properly identifying their target and even worse out of season. I understand people don't like wolves but the guy who's dog was just shot is right too many people with blind hatred for the wolves and blatant disregard of the law. None of us has to like the wolves but at least idaho is doing the best they can to manage them, too many more stories like this just add fuel to the anti hunters fire

My point was this is completely one sided. I think what the dad and son were doing in the woods and what they thought when they saw a very wolf like animal in wolf country matter and should have been written into article, responsible journalism that's all...

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2015, 08:17:45 PM »
:yeah:

And if you don't know what you are shooting at you do not pull the trigger. EVER. 
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline Jarhead Chase

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NDA
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2015, 08:22:55 PM »
The poachers are at fault. Not cool at all.

With that being said, if there is a leash law in effect, follow it. I stopped taking my dog (mastiff/pyrenees mix) hiking with me on public trails after having other dogs want to try their luck with him. I swear, every time we went there was at least one or two people letting their dogs run free.
There is something just indescribably painful about being stuck behind a prius on the interstate.

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2015, 06:06:56 AM »
Pathetic.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2015/may/22/dog-mistaken-wolf-shot-and-killed-man-north-idaho/

A North Idaho man said his dog was shot on a Forest Service road last weekend by a teen who mistook the husky-malamute cross for a wolf.

The dog later died. The same bullet struck Jim Rosauer’s second dog, which survived.

“We saw both of our dogs drop to the ground. It was just shocking,” said Rosauer, who lives near Eastport, Idaho.

Rosauer said he and his wife, Lisa, were hiking Sunday afternoon on the snow-covered road to Spruce Lake, which is near the Montana border. The dogs had run ahead of them.

“We saw the people about 180 yards away with a gun,” said Rosauer, who described them as a couple with their 19-year-old son. “The man said to me, ‘Sorry. It’s my fault. I told him (the son) to shoot the wolf.’”

Boundary County Sheriff Greg Sprungl confirmed that the shooting is under investigation, but said no charges have been filed. The sheriff’s department is working with the Idaho Department of Fish and Game on the investigation.

Dogs are sometimes mistaken for wolves, said Chip Corsi, Fish and Game’s regional supervisor in Coeur d’Alene. Several years ago, a wolf hunter brought an animal to a check station that was actually a dog.

Corsi said he couldn’t comment on the recent incident, since it’s still under investigation. However, “people need to know what they’re shooting at, and they need to be hunting legally,” he said.

Idaho’s wolf season on federal lands closed March 31. Hunters face fines of up to $1,000 if convicted of attempting to take a game animal during a closed season.

Rosauer, a 50-year-old log furniture maker, said he feels compelled to speak out about the incident. He’s an elk hunter who supports public hunting of wolves, but said the “reckless disregard” for safety and flouting of hunting laws appalled him.

Kenai, the dog that was killed, weighed 65 pounds and had some wolf-like features. But unlike a wolf, she had an ear that flopped down and a curly tail, Rosauer said. She was with the couple’s other dog, a lab-malamute mix.

“He doesn’t look anything like a wolf,” Rosauer said, “but that’s not even the point. There is no gray area here. The season was closed.”

Shooting into a roadway also endangered him and his wife, Rosauer said. They were a short distance behind the dogs.

Rosauer said the couple and their son stopped to apologize and helped him load the dogs into his vehicle. Kenai died in a Sandpoint veternarian’s office; her shoulder was shattered. The bullet struck the other dog in the leg, but it’s recovering.

Anti-wolf feeling runs high in Boundary County, where vehicles sport bumperstickers that say “Canadian wolves, smoke a pack a day.” Rosauer said that type of sentiment encourages people to act lawlessly.

“We’re teaching people to have zero respect for the animals. I don’t remember growing up like that,” he said. “Where are our hunting ethics? You don’t have to like wolves, but I think they should be treated with respect as a game animal and a creature of this planet.”

Rosauer said he still feels raw over Kenai’s loss.

“This is a sad story, but I want it to be an educational one for people,” he said. “I’d like to see the culture change.”

“We’re teaching people to have zero respect for the animals."

I think the USFWS and state game agencies are first in line, they introduce a non-native wolf into the lower 48 and then protect it above all else. The message they have sent out, is it's natures way to have the wolves slaughter the ungulates and livestock. Hitler comes to mind.

Where I live many people don't take their dogs with them on walks anymore, and if they do they go armed with their dog on a leash, not from fear of their dog getting shot yet, dogs are like a wolf magnet.

Not everyone in the woods is hunting, or for that matter training, with a turtle. A vest on a fast moving pointing dog busting through brush is something of a bad joke. Trying to stop it on command when it's 500-1000 yards in front of you is even more problematic. They don't run close, that's not how they are wired or work most effectively.

If a person can't tell the difference between a hunting dog and a wolf, let alone a malamute and a wolf, they have no business hunting.

True, but most fast moving bird dogs busting brush look nothing like a wolf...and they're in the brush making them hard to shoot  :tung:

All the dogs shot (mistaking for a wolf) that I've seen are slow moving malamute/Husky/Shepard type dogs.  A vest wouldn't hurt a thing on those dogs, and could benefit it greatly since those types of dogs will likely try to protect the owner from a wolf even if the wolf is really just after the dog.  A bright hog dog type vest might save a malamutes life from both wolves and people.

Don't give people an opportunity to mess up, if you have a dog resembling a wolf and run it off leash put a bright vest on it.
Don't pick mushrooms during bear season in a black trench coat.

:yeah:

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2015, 06:32:20 AM »

i didnt blame the dog owner for the guy shooting what he thought was a wolf i blame the dog owner for taking a wolf looking dog into wolf country and letting it run ahead of them off leash.

Where else can you let your dog run off a leash than the woods?  That's the only place I feel safe letting my dogs be dogs run around off a leash.

Offline WA hunter14

• Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2015, 06:51:54 AM »
do they look like wolves?!

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2015, 07:03:21 AM »
I agree, this article is pathetic.  :')

The only thing pathetic about this is that a kid was told by his father to shoot without properly identifying their target and even worse out of season. I understand people don't like wolves but the guy who's dog was just shot is right too many people with blind hatred for the wolves and blatant disregard of the law. None of us has to like the wolves but at least idaho is doing the best they can to manage them, too many more stories like this just add fuel to the anti hunters fire

My point was this is completely one sided. I think what the dad and son were doing in the woods and what they thought when they saw a very wolf like animal in wolf country matter and should have been written into article, responsible journalism that's all...

They were knowingly poaching on the father's advice. Although, in retrospect, I'd agree that the dog owner may have saved his dog's life by putting an orange vest on him, he certainly had a reasonable expectation of being able to safely take his dogs out for a walk because the wolf season was closed. The article was factual. The "hunters" did none of the rest of us hunters a service. Part of our credibility as hunters died with that dog.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2015, 07:04:11 AM »
The shooter is probably lucky his target ended up being a dog instead of a wolf since the season was closed for wolves.  I imagine the charges he will face will be much lighter for shooting a dog instead of if he poached a wolf.

I do hope he gets some serious punishment though. Stories like this are going to make it impossible to get a wolf hunting season in this state.  It's all going to be ammunition for the pro-wolfers to use to keep the wolves protected.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2015, 07:16:53 AM »
do they look like wolves?!
No, that dog has floppy ears and curly tail. If looking through a scope or binos anybody could tell it was not a wolf. Its really irrelevant to the issue. The kid had intentions of poaching, thats the issue. Not the family taking their pets for a walk.

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2015, 07:27:36 AM »
The shooter is probably lucky his target ended up being a dog instead of a wolf since the season was closed for wolves.  I imagine the charges he will face will be much lighter for shooting a dog instead of if he poached a wolf.

I do hope he gets some serious punishment though. Stories like this are going to make it impossible to get a wolf hunting season in this state.  It's all going to be ammunition for the pro-wolfers to use to keep the wolves protected.

We wouldn't be hearing about it if he shot a wolf lol. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal