collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dog, mistaken for wolf, shot and killed by teenager in North Idaho  (Read 35641 times)

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
Re: Dog, mistaken for wolf, shot and killed by teenager in North Idaho
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2015, 04:18:19 PM »
I gotta jump.  I need to go get in better shape so my beagles never let a rabbit get more than a few feet in front of me and my black and tan coonhound can't get away from me either.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline AspenBud

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2015, 04:22:02 PM »
Yes once upon a time there were reasons for your hunting dog to be 500 to 1000 yards away,but sadly not anymore.There is no good reason that you can come up with(you dont even like it yourself you posted)to be over 1/4 to over a 1/2 mile away from your hunting dog.  :dunno:

I don't like those ranges because it is outside my comfort zone with my dogs. That doesn't mean those ranges don't work here.

Whether you think there is a legitimate reason or not, people are running dogs like that. So what? It works for them.

People need to be mindful of that before they pull the trigger...and they can be out there any time between August 1 and the start of April doing anything from hunting to training on wild birds.

Offline stevemiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2015, 04:47:06 PM »
yep and interfering with other hunters as well.if your hunting and your dog is out 1000 yards in any direction on public land  then you must believe that you are entitled to hunt over 500 acres of land that everyone else must stay off of,is this correct?
You must first be honest with yourself,Until then your just lying to everyone.

"The only one arguing is the one that is wrong"

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2015, 05:02:50 PM »
yep and interfering with other hunters as well.if your hunting and your dog is out 1000 yards in any direction on public land  then you must believe that you are entitled to hunt over 500 acres of land that everyone else must stay off of,is this correct?

Or are you interfering with my hunt? hmmm

Public land is public land, I have a right to be there with my dogs as much as you and I generally try not to park where someone else obviously has so as to limit such encounters.

I did have a guy roll up in his truck last year and tell me that it was the first day of bow season, effectively telling me to leave even though I was parked there first, geared up, and had the dog out of the box. We had a stare down and then he asked if we could share the space and declared that I might be helpful in getting the deer to move around and not hunker down (really, he thought of that all on his own). I had no problem with that.

Offline stevemiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2015, 05:10:26 PM »
I believe that you have every right that i do yes.Your dog no.Your dog In my op needs to be within a reasonable distance from his owner even in the wild.If its public land that is.You are not entitled to public land with your dog,If this was the case there would be no leash laws but yet there are.  :twocents:

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2015, 05:17:15 PM »
I believe that you have every right that i do yes.Your dog no.Your dog In my op needs to be within a reasonable distance from his owner even in the wild.If its public land that is.You are not entitled to public land with your dog,If this was the case there would be no leash laws but yet there are.  :twocents:

Leash laws do not apply to dogs used to hunt or being trained to hunt.

Are you going to push for legislation on the maximum distance a dog can be from the handler too?    :chuckle:

Are you against hunting with hounds as well? Would you vote against bringing it back?

Offline stevemiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2015, 05:23:39 PM »
maybe I should.Push for limits from dog to owner on public land yes maybe I should.I would vote to bring back hunting with dogs for bear and cougar.Thats for me not the dog.I dont like seeing dogs everywhere with owners thinkling they have the same rights as people,Thats a peta thing and I dont agree with anything peta.Dogs do not belong in restraunts or shopping centers unless they are working dogs.  :twocents:

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2015, 05:26:10 PM »
Steve, it's obvious that you don't know how pointers work. Are you just arguing for fun?
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline stevemiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2015, 05:28:48 PM »
Steve, it's obvious that you don't know how pointers work. Are you just arguing for fun?
No I am not.  :bash:  :bash: what are pointers for?Birds. OK can you see your dog point at over a half mile away no can you shoot a bird at over a half mile away ? No you can not. so who is arguing?

Offline stevemiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2015, 05:54:53 PM »
Why do you put me out here?Why am I the one arguing and not the other way around?It doesnt take a genius to know that a bird dog does you no good at these distances.How long does it take you to walk 1000 yards in the field?

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2015, 06:16:42 PM »
No I am not.  :bash:  :bash: what are pointers for?Birds. OK can you see your dog point at over a half mile away no can you shoot a bird at over a half mile away ? No you can not. so who is arguing?

If your dog can find and point a bird at those distances you stand a chance of walking up and flushing the bird and shooting it. If it didn't work people wouldn't do it. But it does and people do.

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2015, 06:23:12 PM »
Look, 1000 yards is extreme and often just a long cast. The point is you don't want a dog wasting time on unproductive cover, you want the dog to move on into areas more likely to produce birds. Sometimes that means 50 yards, sometimes it means 200, 500, or in the extreme 1000. Can a shorter range dog produce? Yes, but you're doing a lot  more walking and taking a lot more time. You're also often guiding the dog to the birds instead of having the dog find the birds for you. Nothing wrong with that, they are just two different styles of hunting and require two different types of bird dog.

Offline deltaops

• Longhunter
  • “Heads” I win, “Tails” you lose!
« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2015, 06:56:39 PM »
Sport Dog Tech 2.0

GPS Tracking and lets you know when your dog is on point!

One of the reasons why someone may let a dog get out a ways from them.  :dunno: Just Sayin!
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln

Offline stevemiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2015, 07:01:39 PM »
Sport Dog Tech 2.0

GPS Tracking and lets you know when your dog is on point!

One of the reasons why someone may let a dog get out a ways from them.  :dunno: Just Sayin!
I knew this might come up lol.Isnt it illegal to hunt with these gps trackers?If the dog is on point that tracker is being used for hunting right?

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2015, 07:03:57 PM »
steve you should step back from this thread, you're not accomplishing anything good for yourself or the thread.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal