collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: unexpected trophy from 2014 buck  (Read 4711 times)

Offline yorketransport

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
unexpected trophy from 2014 buck
« on: May 23, 2015, 11:35:39 AM »
While eating up some of the pepperoni from last years buck I bit into what I thought was a bone fragment.

Anyone know what it is? I figured it out as soon as I saw the color. :chuckle:

Andrew

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: unexpected trophy from 2014 buck
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 11:41:46 AM »
Tip of a Barnes bullet?
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 11:42:41 AM »
Tip of a Barnes bullet?

I was also thinking the tip of a bullet!

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 11:49:17 AM »
Tip of a Barnes bullet?

I was also thinking the tip of a bullet!

That's it! I hit that buck in the neck with a 130gr TTSX from the 30 Herret pistol. I'm going to save that tip and add it to my collection of recovered bullets.

Andrew

Offline Grizman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 08:06:59 AM »
Just an interesting side note to your "unexpected find". In the late 80's, I shot a very nice Mule Deer buck in N. Idaho.  When I skinned it at camp, I found the buck had two badly broken but healed ribs on his left side.  Totally healed but very noticeable.  In the ribs and meat around that area were several small pieces of yellow plastic.  At the time, I think one bullet maker used colors to ID different calibers of bullets.  I think yellow was .270.  Animals are pretty tough!!

Offline magnumb

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 08:20:46 AM »
I've seen that tip alot since the TTSX's were first introduced, but have never recovered one.  I've loaded a ton ,however, and sent more than a few through several bucks.  I load the 100gr. TTSX in my 25-06 and the 130gr. TTSX in my 270WSM.

I've never recovered either a TSX or any TTSX's out of several bulls and bucks, not even the slightest amount of any of those bullets.  But I did find each bull and buck either DRT or just a few steps away...... :).

Good find and a great choice in bullets........ :tup:.

Offline browney5er

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 09:26:40 PM »
Here's a couple TTSX's I've recovered from blacktail bucks. Both deer dropped in their tracks. Awesome bullets, 140 gr out of my .280. I scrubbed both bullets and weighed them on my powder scale and they both weighed just over 138 grains.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak.

Offline magnumb

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 08:34:32 PM »
Here's a couple TTSX's I've recovered from blacktail bucks. Both deer dropped in their tracks. Awesome bullets, 140 gr out of my .280. I scrubbed both bullets and weighed them on my powder scale and they both weighed just over 138 grains.

Great pics......I wish I could find some!

In all seriousness, it is possible that the bullets started out @ or right around 138grs (+/-).... ;) .   I totally am a 100% believer in Barnes bullets and their quality and terminal effectiveness, so I'm not questioning their dedication to QC, but it is possible.

I am interested to know if you experienced much blood lost meat around the entrance holes.  I ask because I have experienced the least blood shot meat using both the TSX's and TTSX's on both bulls and bucks as compared to what the results were for AB's, NP's, Scirocco's and others........by far!

Just wonderin' about your results......thanks!

Offline Old Man Yager

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, PRHAA
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 06:44:06 AM »
I had an unexpected find one year in a Blacktail buck. So I shoot my first decent Blacktail when I was about 21-22 years old. Pretty excited to say the least! So we get it home and hang him, and I realize I did a poor job when I gutted him, still got the heart and some other parts in there. I get everything out, and drop it on the garage floor, and I hear this wierd rattle sound. I picked up the heart and shake it , and my bullet falls out on the floor! Felt like a dumb ass for not cleaning him out better, but it was cool to find that bullet in there. I still have it  :chuckle:
My Dad always said, " Get a bigger hammer "

Offline browney5er

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 07:39:51 PM »

Great pics......I wish I could find some!

In all seriousness, it is possible that the bullets started out @ or right around 138grs (+/-).... ;) .   I totally am a 100% believer in Barnes bullets and their quality and terminal effectiveness, so I'm not questioning their dedication to QC, but it is possible.

I am interested to know if you experienced much blood lost meat around the entrance holes.  I ask because I have experienced the least blood shot meat using both the TSX's and TTSX's on both bulls and bucks as compared to what the results were for AB's, NP's, Scirocco's and others........by far!

Just wonderin' about your results......thanks!
My brother and I both used to shoot Nosler partitions, great bullet good results but way more bloodshot meat. You can't beat Barnes and I agree I don't think those bullets lost any weight other than the blue tip. My brother has only recovered one from his .300 win mag and it was within one grain and it was a tsx.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak.

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 08:14:28 PM »
Found these 2 Barnes Muzzy bullets in the bull I got this year. The first 1 is the 1 I killed it with. The second one was totally encapsulated in the forleg. Looked to be about a 250 grain bullet. I was shooting a 300 grain bullet.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]