collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Muzzie for the elk opinions  (Read 14404 times)

Offline Open-sights

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Hunter
Muzzie for the elk opinions
« on: May 24, 2015, 05:01:22 PM »
Hi folks. I posted something similar to this on the Elk Forum but I wanted your expert opinions from the muzxleloader section. I have hunted the Merrill ring pshyyt tree farm for many years. As many of you know they only sell 150 permits to the 60,000 acre land. Of those 150 permits three individuals are drawn to take a bull elk. After a long time of trying I have fortunately been drawn to take a bull elk this season. After much debate and thought I have decided to hunt with A muzzle loader during the first week of October.

I am not a complete rookie with Blackpowder and have taken 4 Blacktail deer in my life using a Thompson Center Black Diamond XR 50 caliber. However I sold it many years ago and now I am in the market for a new muzzleloader that is Northwest legal. I used to use the Blackdiamond with a 405 grain powerbelt and 110 g of Pyrodex and it was very accurate offhand up to 100 yards. However cleaning the thing was a real pain in the butt. What do you guys recommend now for a good quality accurate, and reliable muzzle that is easy to clean?  Thanks in advance.
JEFF

Offline RELV

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: Muzzie for the elk opinions
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 05:52:39 PM »
I have taken a few (6 ) with a Traditions Vortek Northwest 50 Cal.  Easy to clean.  Used Powerbelt Platinum 338 grain and 100 grains FFFg.  I also used some old buttered up lead ball ammo in 300 grain that worked ok.  The powerbelts flat out dropped the elk like I poleaxed'em.  All shots were within 80 yards max. 

I also like the way the Vortek has the cap exposed.  Like "barely exposed to the elements".  Hunted once in a downpour in Forks.  At the end of the day the rifle fired like i had just loaded it in a dry cabin.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 05:53:51 PM »
bobcat talked me into the CVA Optima 2. I've shot it and really like it. muzzle-loaders.com was great to deal with.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline MarkyMark

• Longhunter
  • Veteran Paramedic-Firefighter. Greenhorn Hunter
  • Groups: IAFF WSCFF
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 06:36:58 PM »
I got a Optima 2 from www.muzzle-loaders.com last summer. I love it. For all the reasons mentioned above. Are there better muzzleloaders? Probably. But I don't need one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tomfoolery Approved

Offline Open-sights

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 09:33:30 PM »
So the CVA Optima 2 and the vortek are two viable options.  What's the word on the Knight disc  extreme muzzies?  Anyone care to share their experience?
JEFF

Offline syoungs

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 09:44:19 PM »
Knight makes a fine rifle. But after comparing knights, and others to my cab optimus v2, I didnt see the extra money being worth it. I paid 269 on sale at sportsmans last summer, shooting 250g Hornsby sst's im comfortable to 150 yds offhand, though it was still holding decent groups at 200, the rifle is better then I can shoot. I can tag a 18x18 gong offhand at 300 yds, no chance id do thst with an animal though. This summer im going to through on a 2x7 scope and get a load really dialed in.
Big selling point for me was ease of cleaning, with a tool less removal breach plug.

Offline Open-sights

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 09:49:18 PM »
Thanks syoungs.   What would be your preferred load for a big roosevelt bull?
JEFF

Online grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 09:52:53 PM »
I use a CVA Elkhorn. I've been happy with it.
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline syoungs

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 10:12:15 PM »
Id probably up to a 300g sst, over 110g of 3f, and possibly lower my max yardage some, haven't played alot with the bigger bullets yet, the 250's are pretty flat for a front stuffer, hunting the desert/wheat stubble for deer it works great. Honestly the 250s could work for elk to, lots of elk killed with patched round balls, sst's make a bigger hole and carry more energy

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 10:17:18 PM »
I shoot 300 gr Barnes with 90gr of triple 7 works and shoots great!

Offline shorthair15

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 10:22:23 PM »
get a knight disc extreme and dont look back. i just got a knight disc extreme a week ago from sportsman warehouse. i will be getting another one. looked at the cva accura v2 nw edition looks like a good gun as well. if i did not own a knight i would buy the accura. there a pretty accurate gun i own a scoped version accura v2. i will get another knight a bighorn i will wait until they go on sale and then pick up a big horn with thumbhole stock.
Member of the NRA,GOA and Washington For Wildlife.NWTF member Disabled US NAVY Veteran 6/2/90 to 6/2/99 3 Good Conduct Medals, and 3 Honorable Discharges, 2 german shorthairs, tikka 6.5 creedmor,Remington 300 ULTRAMAG, GLOCK 22. Elk,Deer and upland birds and love Fishing

Offline LabChamp

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 10:34:11 PM »
I would go knight. I've never shot anything else and have never wanted to. Shoots like a dream, easy to clean, and had the same one for almost 15 years. Highly accurate, highly recommended

Offline usmc74

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA (Life), RMEF, SAF (Life), American Legion (Life), Master Hunter
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2015, 07:16:14 AM »
I shot my bull last year with a Knight Bighorn with Williams rear peep.  Used a 290 gr Barnes TMZ, 110 gr 777 3F, about a 4" group at 200 yds.

Shot was 68 yards, the copper bullet had AWESOME performance.  Don't think I'll ever hunt with a different bullet.  I will target shoot with a cheaper bullet though.

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2015, 08:33:07 AM »
So the CVA Optima 2 and the vortek are two viable options.  What's the word on the Knight disc  extreme muzzies?  Anyone care to share their experience?

I would certainly suggest a Knight over the other mentioned choices... plus you have several options.

For myself I have chosen the Knight Ultra-Lite basically for one reason IT IS LIGHT - 6 lbs light and in northern Idaho the terrain and my age make it the perfect rifle for me.

Not only do I hunt during the ML season here in Idaho but I hunt the regular season with a ML also so the versatility of the Knight makes it very easy for me.

It can be set up as a Western Legal rifle...

And in a flash be changed over to a Modern inline for regular hunting season

Of course the Mountaineer and the Knight DISC Extreme have the same versatility options.

Even the Knight Big Horn can be switched back and forth...  This is not a Big Horn it is a MK-85 a predecessor to the Big Horn.

One of the biggest factors of what to buy may and is often decided by price. Knights generally are more expensive and often that factor can motivate other choices.

If you are only going to use the rifle for a few days each year - then WHY spend the extra dollars.  In my case I shoot so much and use the rifles so often I went with I thought would be the best investment for me.

What ever you might choose - I hope you have a s much fun sing and hunting with a ML as I do...
Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline MountainDevil54

• Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2015, 10:10:39 AM »
I'd never buy another Knight period. When I get bored, I sell the rifles off for something different. I have a knight dealer friend and he agreed that they are the worse to sell as they just sit and collect dust. I have a guy on my forum with a like new Mountaineer for $450 shipped, listed on multiple forums and it hasnt even had a bite. A good gun if you keep it for life, but when it come times to sell it, you'll sell a $700 gun for less than what a used CVA goes for in order to unload it.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]