collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What kind of car should I get?  (Read 5446 times)

Offline raydog

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF
What kind of car should I get?
« on: May 25, 2015, 02:42:22 PM »
I'm in the market for a new to me car. I switching jobs and will be commuting about 50 miles a day. So around 30mpg or more would be great. I am having a tough time deciding on a car that I would like to drive. I'm more of a truck type of guy. My price range is around $6,000- $9,000. Maybe more in a couple of weeks. So far I like the Mazda 3 quite a bit. Sporty enough but good gas mileage too. They are just a little hard to get ahold of. The other day I test drove a 02 Audi A4. I had no plans to buy it, but the dealer though if he put me in it I would buy it. It was fun to drive and rod on it a little. Anyways Is there any cars that you guys would suggest checking out? Ones to avoid? Thanks-Ray

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Re: What kind of car should I get?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 02:51:13 PM »
Consider a 2wd ford ranger in 2wd with the 4 banger... still can haul something but decent mileage not quite 30mpg but darn close depending on the commute and drive.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline NW-GSP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 03:20:46 PM »
I have a VW tdi and I'm getting 43-53 mpg around 600 miles on a tank. I even took it to republic dear hunting last season and had no problems.

Offline Johnb317

• johnb317
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 03:21:47 PM »
tdi sounds fun!

Your question is a fairly open field..... until you get to 30mpg which narrows things a lot.
first things first...... how good a mechanic are you??

Audi's are fun to drive..... but parts and labor can add up.
If you're buying an older car.... is the timing belt due for a change?   Not a hard job if you know what you're doing, but if you have to pay to have it done add 1000.00 depending on the car.

Narrow your search, look at maintenance costs, and check with insurance rates too!

Good luck.
Old enough to know better.
Young enough to go for it.

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
  • R.I.P. Colockumelk 20130423. Semper Fi!
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 03:30:57 PM »
I'm driving just a bit more round trip work to home so it depends on what you want as a trade off. Car, SUV , truck...m.p.g., comfortability, off road...on my truck I was spending about 110-130 every 2weeks. SUV is was spending 90-110 and car is getting about 70.
If you can read thank a teacher, If you can read in English thank a Marine! 
Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother!

"Around this camp, there's only one Chief; the rest are Indians!"

"Give me 15 more minutes, I was dreaming of Beavers!"

Offline raydog

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 03:53:46 PM »
tdi sounds fun!

Your question is a fairly open field..... until you get to 30mpg which narrows things a lot.
first things first...... how good a mechanic are you??

Audi's are fun to drive..... but parts and labor can add up.
If you're buying an older car.... is the timing belt due for a change?   Not a hard job if you know what you're doing, but if you have to pay to have it done add 1000.00 depending on the car.

Narrow your search, look at maintenance costs, and check with insurance rates too!

Good luck.

I'm fairly mechanically inclined. I can get most thing done until we hit electrical issues. I'm glad you brought up insurance too. I'm 19 so they just nail me with insurance costs!

I will try to narrow it down a little. Already have a hunting rig so no need for Awd/4wd. I'm not big on hatchbacks. I would like something with a little get up and go. Can't go over board or else the insurance Co will lose there mind. As much as I tell myself looks aren't what is important, I still pass up on ugly cars :rolleyes:
So basically I'm looking for something that will get decent MPG, Insurance company can't mug for owning, Still be able to get up to speed reasonable, and not look awful. :chuckle:

These are the cars I have been looking at and will be researching:
Mazda 3
Ford Focus
Jetta TDI- worried about repair parts cost though?
Subaru legacy
Maybe a Subaru outback.
Just glanced at Scion Tc but the reviews were terrible
I have considered a 2wd truck like a Ranger or S-10 as Special T suggested

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 03:55:35 PM »
I have a VW tdi and I'm getting 43-53 mpg around 600 miles on a tank. I even took it to republic dear hunting last season and had no problems.

So you're the guy I saw driving it around in the woods..... :chuckle:
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline WA hunter14

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 04:37:37 PM »
what about a motorcycle?

Offline NW-GSP

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 04:39:25 PM »
Haha yes. We talked in the grocery store parking lot for a little while. Don't worry I now also have a 04 GMC 2500 diesel. Can't beat the mpg with my VW tdi though.

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 04:53:23 PM »
I drive a Sentra to work. About 70 miles round trip to my primary job. 33mpg, pretty good in the snow. A/C works. Wish it was a little roomier, but no problems with comfort 40 minutes each way. 
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 05:33:02 PM »
I have an 04 Jetta 1.8T that I used as my commuter until a few months ago. If you take care of your scheduled maintenance VWs are great. Used ones can be a little bit of a gamble if you can't get service records for them. The auto transmissions are the weak link in VWs, so try to find a manual. The TDI would be high on my list even if it's not as fun to drive as the 1.8T. :chuckle:

For me, fuel economy is good but not worth driving something that you don't like. If you drive 50 miles a day commuting (I'll call it 300 miles a week just to give a buffer) at 30 MPG, you'll use 10 gallons of fuel. At 25 MPG you're only using an extra 2 gallons per week. That's the cost of 1-2 Starbucks drinks per week @ $3 per gallon and about $300 per year. That's a fair chunk of change. Now factory in the amount of time that you're going to spend in the car. Sometimes that extra $6 in fuel savings per week to get a car with 30 mpg isn't worth compromising the pleasure or comfort of being in car that you like more, but gets lower MPG.

Sometimes it's worth it to just buy the car you want instead of the car you need. I went through this back in November when I was looking for a new daily driver. I already have a truck and planned to keep the Jetta to use as a spare (or for my wife in the even she ever decides to drive  :rolleyes:) I commute about 75 miles round trip each day; that's a lot of windshield time just commuting. Then I drive for work in a loud, rough riding step van. A car with good MPG would have the smart choice to cut down on fuel consumption. The reality though is that I spend so much time in the driver's seat that I just want to drive something that I enjoy. I went from looking at the 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrids (to cover the high MPG requirement) to driving home a 2015 Lexus IS 350 F-Sport because that's the car that gave me that warm fuzzy feeling. :tup: I ended up with a car that gets 25 MPG instead of 35 MPG and I don't regret it one bit. You shouldn't dread getting into your car.

Find the car that you like and will fit your budget and needs, not the car that fits your needs and that you just "don't hate". :twocents:

Andrew

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 06:38:42 PM »
A car in that price range       Japanese   I'd look for a low mile camera or a sub that's had head gaskets done
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline 2labs

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2015, 06:52:23 PM »
2002 ford ranger 4 cyl 5 speed. Great little truck!
Dino was robbed
Habitual Rock Poacher
Do these "attack" pants make my ass look big?

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2015, 07:31:30 PM »
My Vote for the Ranger  is that a 2wd PU provides a lot of versatility. My brother has had a couple of Rangers and he has abused the hell out of them and they just wont stop.Ive owned 3 S10s and currently own a 90's 2wd that i use for my run around work truck Both are everywhere and reasonable. If the 50 mile commute is stop and go I may lean on a S 10 auto, but the Ranger 5 speed sticks are the bomb. My Brother and I each have a light weight headache rack for all those little over length things. A few 12' boards, some PVC pipe etc.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline kirkl

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • USN Veteran- USS Nimitz CVN 68
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2015, 07:35:44 AM »
I've got two Hyundai elantras. Great cars for the money. Get about 33-35 on freeway.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]