collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Coyote's top speed  (Read 7002 times)

Offline tgomez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • "IF IT BLEEDS, WE CAN KILL IT!"
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery Club, Spokane Rifle Club, NRA
Coyote's top speed
« on: May 24, 2015, 03:03:27 AM »
So I took my 8 year ols son coyote hunting today and got an opportunity at a couple coyotes. I used a Primos "still jackrabbit call" and called a couple coyotes in one in morning, one evening. The first was at 9am and my son spotted him about 75yards from us on the wheat field. I saw him running and got a shot of at 300 yards or so. I tried to lead it and still shot a good foot behind it.  :bash:  The secound was in same area but about six hours later, with same kind of situation. My questions for you experienced coyote callers are:#1 How far do you lead them when running? #2 How fast do they run top speed? (I swear these ones were running 45MPH!) #3 Is it normal to miss coyotes on the run?(Im usually a crack shot w my 30-06) #4 Should I just wait for them to stop completely? Any info helps, It was my first time calling coyotes, and NOW IM HOOKED. Son and I had a hoot! I WANT MORE!!!!!!!! :drool: :drool:
☠🫀 ULTIMATE PREDATOR 🫀☠

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
Re: Coyote's top speed
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 05:50:44 AM »
A coyotes top speed is about 35 mph.

I'd watch some videos or look to hire a guide to avoid years worth of mistakes that you'd have to learn not to do on your own.  As far as lead......its usually more than you think.  Most guys shoot over coyotes and shoot behind them (while running).
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline bowhunterforever

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 06:32:13 AM »

I'd watch some videos or look to hire a guide to avoid years worth of mistakes that you'd have to learn not to do on your own.  As far as lead......its usually more than you think.  Most guys shoot over coyotes and shoot behind them (while running).
:yeah:
You sure you know how to skin griz pilgram

Offline WA hunter14

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 07:27:10 AM »
have you tryed stopping them? get some of randy andersons videos he is a legend in the coyote calling world. He uses a long deeper howl to stop them alot of the times but it depends why they are running, if they saw you then you can stop them most of the time but if they smelled you then probably not going to get it to stop atleast within range. ive shot at a few running coyotes and never hit one that i can think of right now.

Offline Axle

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 07:36:45 AM »
#2 How fast do they run top speed?

Well, the thing about coyotes is - for each shot you miss - they kick it into another gear and run even faster.
Miss 3 times? you'll see a 3 speed transmission on that song dog.
Miss 5 times? you'll notice that dog has 5 gears in it's running operation  :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:
I am the man what runs with the football: Jerry Clower

Offline tgomez

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 08:31:21 AM »

Thanks for the advice. Watching videos, readind books and magazines I am all for. I think guides are too expensive! I dont have trouble finding coyotes, im just a rookie at calling them in, and I had my 8 year old with me. I shot one with a Hoyt Trykon 55 yards, but can't hit one at 300 w a Remington 700. :chuckle:
☠🫀 ULTIMATE PREDATOR 🫀☠

Offline tgomez

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 08:37:31 AM »
have you tryed stopping them? get some of randy andersons videos he is a legend in the coyote calling world. He uses a long deeper howl to stop them alot of the times but it depends why they are running, if they saw you then you can stop them most of the time but if they smelled you then probably not going to get it to stop atleast within range. ive shot at a few running coyotes and never hit one that i can think of right now.
Now this is outstanding advice. I usually like to wait for them to stop myself. I know both of these coyotes busted us moving, the wind was in our favor. These animals are fast!!!! I just read they can run up to 43MPH!!!! If they arnt stationary, Im not shooting anymore. Thanks for advice, I appreciate your hospitality. :tup:
☠🫀 ULTIMATE PREDATOR 🫀☠

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 08:44:32 AM »
We all know how tuff it is to hit anything running with a single bullet ..especially a running coyote ..I try not to follow animals when they are running when using a rifle ..I look a head of them and hold on the spot they are headed to ...then as they come threw the scope I squeeze off  as they are coming to the crosshairs ..but it takes a lot of concentration ..of course the further out they are the more you need to lead them ..Coyote is about the only animal when I miss I do not feel bad about  :chuckle: :chuckle: Can not count how many times I have been run over by them and miss them because I left my shotgun at home ...kinda tuff getting them in a scope on a dead run when they are inches from your barrel !

Offline Bofire

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 09:14:54 AM »
 :) :) Stop them, I bark LOUD and many times they stop, for a SECOND be ready. I seldom shoot at runners.
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline WA hunter14

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 09:29:05 AM »
the first couple coyotes i called in i was so excited i didnt even think to try and stop them i just shot.  :bash:

Offline Halo

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 09:48:34 AM »
I never pass up a running shot at a coyote, I see it as an opportunity to practice running shots. When hunting deer or elk I avoid running shots especially as a first shot but I have taken many running shots as a follow up to make sure I finish the job I started. I have usually elk hunted some extremely thick country and if an elk makes it even 50 yards after the shot it can take a long time to find, so if it's on its feet it's getting another round running or not. So I see coyotes as the best practice there is for those situations. Well, and its a lot of fun.  :chuckle:

Offline tgomez

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 11:30:27 AM »
the first couple coyotes i called in i was so excited i didnt even think to try and stop them i just shot.  :bash:
Exactly what I did on the first, tried to whistle to stop the other and he just ran faster. Oh well, its a great coyote area up in Lincoln County. I see coyotes everytime I go. Calling them in was pretty simple really. My son and I just moved a little too early. I sure do like Yoti hunting now, think i have Coyote fever! :chuckle:
☠🫀 ULTIMATE PREDATOR 🫀☠

Offline KenPCPilot

• Longhunter
    • KenPCPilot
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 06:21:02 AM »
Slower than 4000 fps. 
GO BUCKS

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 06:34:34 AM »
Theys can be purtty durn quick if'in theys sets thar minds to it!!
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline Kittman

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, US Navy
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 11:16:08 AM »
Back when I was younger, if I recall, in my trial and error with sideways running shots at varmints be it coyotes or fox was if they were running fast as they could was to lead them by at least 20 feet.  That is when I started to nail them on the fly.  I would use there nose as a reference point to my sights or crosshairs.  This was using a .222 Remington round.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]