collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: .257 Roberts ammo recommendation  (Read 7028 times)

Offline westside103147

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Hunter
.257 Roberts ammo recommendation
« on: May 26, 2015, 05:48:49 PM »
I was recently given a Ruger M77 in .257 Roberts that belonged to  my late uncle. I'm very unfamiliar with the cartridge and was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for factory ammo. I cant find much for sale online beside hornady and nosler. Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Offline superdown

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: .257 Roberts ammo recommendation
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 06:11:27 PM »
here's the link for midway usa they have federal,remington,hsm,winchester,double tap along with the nosler and hornady you already mentioned.I would read the reviews and pick what i thought was the best.I wish i could give some first hand knowledge but i don't own a rifle in that cartridge   :tup: http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=1&itemsperpage=20&newcategorydimensionid=9828

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 09:02:22 PM »
Old school Ruger red pad, tang safety? Purchased a .257 Roberts from a friend of mine when he retired from driving  Aircraft Carriers.  Classy rifle!, for factory stuff. The Federal Premium 120gr Partition is hard to beat.

Offline westside103147

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 09:14:02 PM »
Yes sir! It's a classic, I received it in the facotry box with the plastic sleeve still on the gun.

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 09:29:14 PM »
I've been trying to track down ammo for my .257 Roberts for the past year and a half.  Found 3 boxes in that time period!  Good luck getting some.  Buy several boxes if you do.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 09:32:03 PM »
Big r/north 40 carries it  I found the federal premium 120 np  shoot well .
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 09:33:02 PM »
Little gun/pawn shop in river side has it too.
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 10:04:57 PM »
 :yeah:
Old school Ruger red pad, tang safety? Purchased a .257 Roberts from a friend of mine when he retired from driving  Aircraft Carriers.  Classy rifle!, for factory stuff. The Federal Premium 120gr Partition is hard to beat.

I own a '72 model year with factory adjustable trigger, great gun. :tup:

Save your brass and load your own, I too use the partitions.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline salmonchaser

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 11:14:50 PM »
Probably one of the most overlooked and undervalued cartridges out there. Dad got stationed at Ft. WAINWRIGHT Alaska in 1959 bought a Remington 722 for Mom then. She killed moose and caribou with that little cartridge. When we returned to Oregon she regularly killed mule deer and a couple elk as well. She packed that rifle for about 40 years. Never lost an animal she shot with it.
Either Hornady or Nosler will serve you well, I load partitions or ballistic tips.

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 11:20:05 PM »
:yeah:

I own a '72 model year with factory adjustable trigger, great gun. :tup:

Save your brass and load your own, I too use the partitions.

I just run 6mm Remington brass through my full length .257 Bob die, load and shoot.

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 11:42:05 PM »
We run the Ultra Light version of that gun you have.  Both great shooters.  Most of the factory ammo is disappointing.  Heavy bullets almost ruin the benefit of the little cartridge.  Small diameter bullets need speed to perform their best.  While the Partition works well at nearly all velocities the 120 grain doesn't optimize the cartridge unless shooting elk.  Even the 117 Inner-Lok Hornady in Light Magnum (best factory load so far) has given us 50 to 100 yard recoveries on deer when impacts have been reaching 200 yards.  Never lost an animal with the 117HIL, but was always lacking in fast kills at medium range.

After a lot of research and an inability to find factory ammo I started loading my own.  Both the Hornady SST and the 100 grain Partition have been extremely impressive on bear and deer.  Giving the accuracy advantage to the 117 SST and the quick kill advantage to the 100 grain Partition.  After seeing the results of those two I'd guess if the wife decided to tackle elk with her Bob I'd split the difference and load the 115 Partition for that.

I'm loading both Nosler and Remington brass with Norma powders at darn near max velocities.  We are getting .5" and .75" groups with the two guns using the Nosler brass, Norma URP and 117 SST.  .75" and 1" groups with the Remington Brass, Norma 204 and 100 Partition.  If the wife would let me put pillars in her gun I'd expect she would get the same groups my gun gets.  Though I guess within the range limitations of the Bob 1/4" difference doesn't really matter all that much.

Crazy thing about these little Bob's is they seem to kill bear much faster than they do deer.  I assume that is due to resistance giving better expansion at the Bob velocity limits.  Penetration has never been a factor and always left us impressed!
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline one shot kill

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: IBEW 77
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 07:02:23 AM »
I have 65 rounds of once fired 257 bob brass if you want to buy those and load your own

Offline Bwana Bob

• Scout
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 08:17:12 AM »
We run the Ultra Light version of that gun you have.  Both great shooters.  Most of the factory ammo is disappointing.  Heavy bullets almost ruin the benefit of the little cartridge.  Small diameter bullets need speed to perform their best.  While the Partition works well at nearly all velocities the 120 grain doesn't optimize the cartridge unless shooting elk.  Even the 117 Inner-Lok Hornady in Light Magnum (best factory load so far) has given us 50 to 100 yard recoveries on deer when impacts have been reaching 200 yards.  Never lost an animal with the 117HIL, but was always lacking in fast kills at medium range.

After a lot of research and an inability to find factory ammo I started loading my own.  Both the Hornady SST and the 100 grain Partition have been extremely impressive on bear and deer.  Giving the accuracy advantage to the 117 SST and the quick kill advantage to the 100 grain Partition.  After seeing the results of those two I'd guess if the wife decided to tackle elk with her Bob I'd split the difference and load the 115 Partition for that.

I'm loading both Nosler and Remington brass with Norma powders at darn near max velocities.  We are getting .5" and .75" groups with the two guns using the Nosler brass, Norma URP and 117 SST.  .75" and 1" groups with the Remington Brass, Norma 204 and 100 Partition.  If the wife would let me put pillars in her gun I'd expect she would get the same groups my gun gets.  Though I guess within the range limitations of the Bob 1/4" difference doesn't really matter all that much.

Crazy thing about these little Bob's is they seem to kill bear much faster than they do deer.  I assume that is due to resistance giving better expansion at the Bob velocity limits.  Penetration has never been a factor and always left us impressed!

Rad,
I have been shooting a Bob since the late 70's My first a Ruger M-77 that I sold to a friend out here. My current a Ruger #1 I bought in 1982.

my go to bullet was the 120gr Hornady Hp. It will open fast at Robert's vel's and deer never go more than 20 yd. My new go to bullet is the 100gr Barnes TS. Withs its 26in barrel and long throat I get 3200 fpr. I'm using close to roberts improved data in it. I may try it on a cow elk if I draw a tag this year. 
With IMR 4350 & 4831 you should be able to load the Bob in a modern rifle to 2800  fps using 120/117gr bullets.  I can't understand why you are having deer run so far with the bullets your using.

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 12:21:08 PM »
We've never had issues with deer running too far when shots are inside 150 yards.  And last year we had great results with both the SST and the 100 grain Partition at longer distances.  So those issues have been resolved to some degree both with the newer bullets and the hand loads.  OP was asking about factory ammo and I still contend that just about all the factory ammo is WAY under loaded.  And usually loaded with average at best bullets.  Nosler got the speeds up, but I can not get any accuracy out of their load.  Superformance loads were also less than perfect grouping with my wife's opening up to almost 2.5".

One thing to realize is that we are shooting the Ultra-Light "RL".  So compared to your 26" barrel we can not compete in velocity with our 20" barrels.  Although I am breaking 3000 with the 100 grain and Norma 204.  Coming dang close to it with the URP/SST combination.  I do have room to push them harder if I wanted to have bigger groups.  But after about 20 different loads with these two bullets I settled on the Sub-MOA instead of the 75-120 gain in speed.  Just didn't seem like a decent trade off to me.

Even with the old box ammo we have had zero recovery distances on animals killed inside 150 yards.  It's those 200 yard shots where travel after impact have been longer than we would like.  Low velocity combined with bullets designed for the 25-06 are my conclusion to the issues.  Although that 120 grain Partition that Federal loads is made specifically for the Bob.  That could be one of the reasons guys are having such good luck with that even if the velocity is rather anemic. 

I'm not a real Partition fan, but in the Bob it seems to be the perfect compromise so far.  And even with a low BC if the wind isn't blowing those poor coyotes are in some serious trouble if they stop inside 500 yards.  Well, 500 yards hasn't been proven in the field as our longest coyote with that 100 Partition was 448 yards. :chuckle:  We did have a blast trying to keep the Toutle 'yote population I check last year with these new loads.  Now if I could just get a Ballistic Tip varmint bullet load to shoot as accurately!  We will be working on that very soon :tup:
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline westside103147

• Hunter
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 04:15:20 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys!  It sounds like investing in a reloading set up will be the way to go.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal