collapse

Advertisement

Poll

Had to pick the most popular opinions, pick your options from most important to least.

Drop the choices in quality deer, elk to 1 choice. OIL tags as well.
3 year waiting period for succesful quality deer, elk with allowing ghost points
5 year waiting period for succesful quality deer, elk  with allowing ghost points
No wait period after drawing permit
limit non-residents to 10% of any special permits.
Pay for OIL tags in order to be in the drawing, still able to get points if not in drawing
50% of quality deer, elk and OIL go to max point holders, then everyone in the draw after that
25% of quality deer, elk and OIL tags go to max point holders, then all available
One tag per species, once you draw for elk your done, from quality to bull to cow. Same with other species, no more waisted tags.
Earlier permit deadlines and results
NO changes to system
Choosing between applying for quality deer, elk OR OIL tags. Not both in same year
If drawn for more than 1 special permit, be allowed to purchase an additional tag being able to fill each successful permit.

Author Topic: Poll for changes to draw system, only 3 votes not 12.  (Read 26767 times)

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: Poll for changes to draw system, only 3 votes not 12.
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2015, 10:09:48 PM »
Just because habitat "looks" the same as it was 20 years ago certainly doesn't mean that it is.

I would scrap the whole system.

Choose one deer and one elk category.
Choose one of moose, sheep, and goat.
No points.
OIL for moose, sheep, goat.
3 year wait for deer and elk.

Sounds similar to Idaho!   :tup:

Offline mfswallace

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2015, 10:37:27 PM »
I like the idea of buy a second tag if u draw antlered and antlerless in same year!!!!!!!!!!! Quotas have been set and hunter has paid his money.
I think this would drastically decrease draw odds.  Knowing that drawing two tags gets you a second elk would cause more people to apply who don't already and people that already do apply to apply for more or different units just so they can kill two elk.
[/]

And if u win the lottery twice the state should give your second winnings to some other schmuck because while he might have done the same thing he didn't draw anything???  Isn't the point of any draw system points or not, to make all results random and not leave it to human interpretation?

Offline stevemiller

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2015, 10:49:11 PM »
I like the idea of buy a second tag if u draw antlered and antlerless in same year!!!!!!!!!!! Quotas have been set and hunter has paid his money.
I think this would drastically decrease draw odds.  Knowing that drawing two tags gets you a second elk would cause more people to apply who don't already and people that already do apply to apply for more or different units just so they can kill two elk.
[/]

And if u win the lottery twice the state should give your second winnings to some other schmuck because while he might have done the same thing he didn't draw anything???  Isn't the point of any draw system points or not, to make all results random and not leave it to human interpretation?
Thats a good point  :yeah: Didnt really think of it like winning money but Still its a good point.
You must first be honest with yourself,Until then your just lying to everyone.

"The only one arguing is the one that is wrong"

Offline stevemiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2015, 09:02:04 AM »
Cool we should get a lot of pics then.I dont want to hear about these points I want to see them or they dont have them hows that?

Nobody needs to show you a thing and nobody cares what you want to hear about. Are you calling people liars here? Pretty clear you haven't been hunting long. Listen more, pop off less and you just may learn something.
I guess no one has as many points as they want everyone to believe.No your right no one needs to show,no one has to show.I think your off a little with the no one cares though,Plenty are tired of hearing the I have 20 points in this or that and I never get picked(Im gonna stop spending my money in WA.)  :cryriver:

Offline LabChamp

• Longhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2015, 09:12:55 AM »
Cool we should get a lot of pics then.I dont want to hear about these points I want to see them or they dont have them hows that?

Nobody needs to show you a thing and nobody cares what you want to hear about. Are you calling people liars here? Pretty clear you haven't been hunting long. Listen more, pop off less and you just may learn something.
I guess no one has as many points as they want everyone to believe.No your right no one needs to show,no one has to show.I think your off a little with the no one cares though,Plenty are tired of hearing the I have 20 points in this or that and I never get picked(Im gonna stop spending my money in WA.)  :cryriver:

I think it's hilarious some of you guys cry about reading someone's comments about the system and at the same time voice their point of view. Typical Washington style

Offline stevemiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2015, 09:25:07 AM »
I agree  :yeah: I also think it is hilarious that some members on here have so much to say about a subject and then when the question is asked how,when, or in this case how much earlier for the results to come out,No one responds just crickets every time.

Offline LabChamp

• Longhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2015, 09:27:16 AM »
I agree  :yeah: I also think it is hilarious that some members on here have so much to say about a subject and then when the question is asked how,when, or in this case how much earlier for the results to come out,No one responds just crickets every time.

Status quoe

Offline stevemiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2015, 09:28:47 AM »
Exactly.  :tup:

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2015, 09:37:34 AM »
how about scrap the whole points thing, equal chance every year, if drawn 3 year wait to redraw by animal type, of course keep OIL draws.

for those of us who served and were shuffled all over the country every 3 years, points building is not a good method for any state we are transferred too and from. We gain and loose residency for hunting and it becomes a dream to draw special tags..... I know dumping points will strike a sore nerve, but just my thought here...
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline LabChamp

• Longhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2015, 09:40:35 AM »
I like the wait idea after drawing

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2015, 10:35:02 AM »
I like the wait idea after drawing
i take it you mean a wait period after drawing successful?  If so, 3 or 5 years?
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2015, 11:25:15 AM »
First item on poll should have been one choice for all, not just quality elk or deer.  I'm assuming many like myself voted for it thinking it was for all, as I just focused on limiting to one choice.
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2015, 01:00:40 PM »
Just because habitat "looks" the same as it was 20 years ago certainly doesn't mean that it is.

I would scrap the whole system.

Choose one deer and one elk category.
Choose one of moose, sheep, and goat.
No points.
OIL for moose, sheep, goat.
3 year wait for deer and elk.

Sounds similar to Idaho!   :tup:

Im liking this idea but i think Idaho has it right when it comes to 1 oil or both deer and elk. With as few oil tags, really permits in general, as washington has and as many hunters as we have it would be nice to shrink the pool of people who put in for all tags not just oils. Most people I know who put in for Oils only do it because they dont have to choose.

I think this year I spent roughly $125 on applications if I had to choose I would rather spend that $125 on a single Goat or Sheep app where my odds were 1/50 or better. I would also rather spend $60 apiece on single elk or deer category where my odds are 1/20 or better.
Either way the state would be getting the same cash out of me (us) and I (we) would have better odds of drawing the permits I (we) really want.
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2015, 01:13:02 PM »
First item on poll should have been one choice for all, not just quality elk or deer.  I'm assuming many like myself voted for it thinking it was for all, as I just focused on limiting to one choice.
the option was meant for only having 1 choice for quality deer, elk, sheep, goat and moose.  I didn't think people would care too much about the others.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2015, 04:01:40 PM »
the option was meant for only having 1 choice for quality deer, elk, sheep, goat and moose.  I didn't think people would care too much about the others.

Respectively disagree.  I think people do care, that's why the high vote total.  If you look at the other thread, you will see that the focus of the discussions of one choice and the examples was across the board and not limited to quality.  My example of Blue Mtn. West is a Buck deer draw.  Antlerless permittees putting in for buck and quality was also discussed.
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]