collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Interesting broadhead grouping problem  (Read 15604 times)

Offline Band

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Interesting broadhead grouping problem
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2015, 03:25:48 PM »
Great nock orientation explanation Rad, that should save a lot of effort with the helter-skelter method I was going to use! :)

Offline RadSav

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2015, 04:02:55 PM »
I really like this bow but with so many possible variables to broadhead grouping problems I may ultimately end up going back to my other bow that has no such problems. 

I really doubt it is the bow.  Sure the higher speed has a little something to do with it being less forgiving.  And one may be better tuned than the other.  The old Reflex may even be an easier bow to shoot.  But, repeatable shotgun scatter rarely has to do with the bow.  If impacts were consistently random than we could look at cam tune and draw length combined with possible breakdown in form.  But when results repeat with consistency like this it is rarely ever the bow.

Would sort of be like blaming the car for riding rough with out of balance tires.  The car is fine.  And the tires may be fine as well.  They just need a little attention.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 04:35:05 PM by RadSav »
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline LeviD1

• Scout
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery, Spokane Rifle Club, RMEF
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2015, 10:27:55 PM »
I recommend paying a good shop to tune your bow with you there not just let them do it and hand it back to you. I love the shop I go to. Got my bow all tuned up a few weeks ago and shoots like a dream. I was kind of having the same problems as you that's why I took it in. My arrow flight just was not very consistent at least as much as I would like it. They would be all over as yours are. Nothing crazy but noticeable. My cams needed shimmed and rest adjusted. I get my bow tuned every year. Things stretch over time and change. Also make sure you are knocking your arrows exactly the same and no fletch is hitting anywhere. As stated before if you dont have a good drop away rest I would pick one of those up to.

Offline bowhunterforever

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2015, 10:34:27 PM »
I recommend paying a good shop to tune your bow with you there not just let them do it and hand it back to you. I love the shop I go to. Got my bow all tuned up a few weeks ago and shoots like a dream. I was kind of having the same problems as you that's why I took it in. My arrow flight just was not very consistent at least as much as I would like it. They would be all over as yours are. Nothing crazy but noticeable. My cams needed shimmed and rest adjusted. I get my bow tuned every year. Things stretch over time and change. Also make sure you are knocking your arrows exactly the same and no fletch is hitting anywhere. As stated before if you dont have a good drop away rest I would pick one of those up to.
What shop do you use?
You sure you know how to skin griz pilgram

Offline LeviD1

• Scout
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2015, 10:48:32 PM »
What shop do you use?

Whitetail Plus in Deer Park, WA. Greg the owner is an awesome guy. Never tries to sell you something you dont need and knows a ton. I have been going there for 3-4 years now and wont tank my bow anywhere else. The first time I went there he spent probably an hour with me giving me tipsand showing me how to shoot my bow better at no charge just because he is a great guy. In turn I dont ever shop around and only buy my archery equipment from him cause he has fare prices anyways and I want him to stay in business forever!

Offline TriggerMike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2015, 10:50:45 PM »
You should do the modified French tune then broadhead tune it for the final. There's a really informative and descriptive thread on Archery Talk that explains the tuning process, I believed it's Stickied at the top as well. Once you tune it, your field tips and broadheads should be hitting in the same spot.

Offline TriggerMike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2015, 10:57:13 PM »
Found it. It's on page 3 (on my phone- tapatalk). Modified French Tune. Also take a look at Walk back tuning, which I believe is on the page before.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1334651

Offline LeviD1

• Scout
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2015, 10:58:28 PM »
Oh also, since Ive been tuned, my field tips, shuttle t's and schwacker heads all hit the exact same. Im glad cause I want to carry both broadheads in my quiver this year. Excited to try out my schwacker expandables!

Offline Webfoot

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2015, 12:31:12 PM »
If I marked my shafts and then rotated nock position to line up the shafts then the fletches would not be lined up to clear my rest. Am I correct?

John

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2015, 01:14:51 PM »
If I marked my shafts and then rotated nock position to line up the shafts then the fletches would not be lined up to clear my rest. Am I correct?

If you do not have a good fall away rest that would be correct.  I know some guys that will wax their shafts before applying heat shrink fletching.  That way they can rotate the vanes as well.  Then once the shafts are tuned they mark the shaft, strip the vanes and fletch properly.  I have never done this myself so I'm not sure how easy it is to rotate the shrink tubing. 

Of course you can always shoot Carbon Express or Easton ACC and never have to worry about rotating for groups ;) ;)

Offline swashington2128

• Hunter
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2015, 02:11:02 PM »
PD, I am a Kitsap county person also and have been shooting for about two years but with no luck on the hunting front yet. If you are interested in shooting send me a message. Always easier to learn in pairs.

As to the bow shop, there is one I have in mind but keep in mind their goal is to make money. The best thing is to spend time at the range and ask questions. I have learned a lot from guys at the range as most people are more than willing to give you some information. My first time shooting it took about three arrows before one guy stepped in and helped me out. I think it was more from disgust from my last of form than anything else. But it helped!

Offline Band

• Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2015, 09:19:21 PM »
turn the knocks and I bet that fixes the issue.

How much are you suppose to turn the knocks?

You are generally trying to get the odd arrows to move over to the arrow that is grouping closest to your field points.  So, say your field points and #1 broadhead arrow are shooting at 12:00, your #2 broadhead is at 3:00, #3 is at 6:00 and your #4 is at 9:00.  You would take your #2 arrow and place it on the string, then take a Sharpie and make a mark at 3:00 on the shaft.  Then rotate that mark so it is located at 12:00.  Similarly #3 you would rotate a 6:00 mark to 12:00 and #4 would rotate a 9:00 mark to 12:00.

There will be plenty of fine tuning to do after doing this, but it should get you very close.  Often times close enough for government work hunting ;)  Usually your field point arrows are exhibiting the same basic variations just to a much smaller degree.  If you are not a tournament class shooter you likely will not notice it with the field points.  But when the broadhead goes on and the spline orientation variances are magnified by the planning surface of the blades...then you notice it.
Finally got a chance to rotate nocks per Rad's directions and it worked!!  More fine tuning ahead of me but those directions do exactly as advertised.  Thanks, Rad! :IBCOOL:

Offline eastfork

• Hunter
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2015, 09:53:52 PM »
I kinda had this same problem a few years back. I was shooting some GT hunter, I couldn't get my broadheads to group at 80 yards, switched the carbon express select and away went my problems........ :twocents:

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2015, 11:00:32 PM »
Finally got a chance to rotate nocks per Rad's directions and it worked!!  More fine tuning ahead of me but those directions do exactly as advertised.

Good to hear :tup:

Offline Band

• Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2015, 07:48:59 AM »
I kinda had this same problem a few years back. I was shooting some GT hunter, I couldn't get my broadheads to group at 80 yards, switched the carbon express select and away went my problems........ :twocents:
At the price of those arrows I would hope they would do my dishes and laundry too. :)

Are there mid-priced arrows on the market that are known for spine consistency?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]