collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Late Palouse info  (Read 18079 times)

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Late Palouse info
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2015, 12:04:44 PM »
 Yes it was bitterly cold last year ... I slept in the back of my truck for 6 days and I think the high on any given day was 23 the coldest I saw in the morning by the river was -2 but on average it was 4 to 7 in the morning!  :yike: I used two sleeping bags a 20 degree Northface cats meow inside of a 0 degree slumberjack everest elite and still felt it a bit!!!

Took this one the morning after JJ's
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2015, 12:08:20 PM »
Oh and find some land cause it's mostly private  ;)
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline zackmioli

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2015, 12:22:03 PM »
Hunt that area every year during general modern. Love that country. We have been hunting the same private property for years and it's always a blast. One of these years we will put in for the late tag as a group and hope to do that.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2015, 11:35:03 PM »
Biggest bucks on this tag will come from the northern boundary of the unit near spokane. Think mts and trees  :chuckle:

Offline TheHunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2015, 07:58:28 AM »
I thought the bigger bucks came from the Colfax area. 
275 down 2

Offline buckmaster_wa

• Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2015, 07:04:36 PM »
This can be a really fun hunt if you have permission on some land to hunt. But if you are one of those guys that is just going to drive over there and find a spot when the season is going then you will probably be disappointed. I run into guys over there every year that say to me " I have seen a bunch of bucks while I have been driving around, but they're all on private land." Well that's because the unit is 95% private land. Get permission this summer and then enjoy the hunt this fall.

I have been hunting this area for 15 years now, and since they went to the special permit late season, the quality of the hunt and the animals has gone way up. Good luck on your hunt.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2015, 09:24:18 PM »

nope..I can count on one hand in the last 20 years how many bucks I have heard of coming from the colfax area over 150" ..Its known for thin typical racks and most never exceed 140" We had a friend who owned 2,200 acres years ago and he controlled how many hunted it. When we saw the area it looked awesome, but I never saw a buck killed over 135" lots of 90-120" bucks tho. Problem with that area is its way to open and alot of hunter and it gets pounded.

I know of several bucks taken near spokane over 170" more than I could count.. I know of 3 just last year. Like I said think mts and timber...it creates escapement and in return creates older bucks. Not many hunt it either.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2015, 09:36:22 PM »
these are all Palouse bucks near spokane

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2015, 09:58:24 PM »

nope..I can count on one hand in the last 20 years how many bucks I have heard of coming from the colfax area over 150" ..Its known for thin typical racks and most never exceed 140" We had a friend who owned 2,200 acres years ago and he controlled how many hunted it. When we saw the area it looked awesome, but I never saw a buck killed over 135" lots of 90-120" bucks tho. Problem with that area is its way to open and alot of hunter and it gets pounded.

I know of several bucks taken near spokane over 170" more than I could count.. I know of 3 just last year. Like I said think mts and timber...it creates escapement and in return creates older bucks. Not many hunt it either.
  Thats a pretty accurate statement.  Few down towards the snake get enough age on them to become something but Colfax gets pretty shot out every year.  Not the best genetics either.  Short tine's.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Chesapeake

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2015, 08:20:34 AM »
I did that hunt a few years back down by Colfax. We primarily hunted the "feel free" to hunt stuff, but did some asking and looked over some of the reservation stuff.

I've never put in for that hunt since, if that says anything.

Its was a fun hunt, but it seemed most all of the land was locked up with "we already have guys we let hunt every year", "My neighbors kids hunt it, I don't let anyone else", "I'm all out of the cards I'm supposed to hand out", ect....
We had a fun time and saw a few legal deer on land we could hunt. Our inexperience with whitetails and that kind of terrain proved our downfall there.

The guys in the campgrounds that had permission on land seemed to do pretty well getting some decent bucks.

If I was going to do it again I'd secure access or scour the entire area north to south and figure out exactly what of the "public access" I wanted to concentrate on before I put in for the tag. There was some timber land up north we never got up there to look at. 

We saw bucks about every day, but most often they were on land we couldn't hunt. There were lots of folks pounding the "feel free to hunt" stuff. Many of them had permission on other property as well so had options when the weekend traffic got heavy on the "feel free to hunt stuff".

I think that "C" they put in the notes on that hunt is important. If you drew that tag and have no access, your well behind the power curve and will be playing catch up with the guys that already have relationships with the farmers who let folks hunt.

Offline Chesapeake

• Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2015, 09:31:48 AM »
I did that hunt a few years back down by Colfax. We primarily hunted the "feel free" to hunt stuff, but did some asking and looked over some of the reservation stuff.

I've never put in for that hunt since, if that says anything.

Its was a fun hunt, but it seemed most all of the land was locked up with "we already have guys we let hunt every year", "My neighbors kids hunt it, I don't let anyone else", "I'm all out of the cards I'm supposed to hand out", ect....
We had a fun time and saw a few legal deer on land we could hunt. Our inexperience with whitetails and that kind of terrain proved our downfall there.

The guys in the campgrounds that had permission on land seemed to do pretty well getting some decent bucks.

If I was going to do it again I'd secure access or scour the entire area north to south and figure out exactly what of the "public access" I wanted to concentrate on before I put in for the tag. There was some timber land up north we never got up there to look at. 

We saw bucks about every day, but most often they were on land we couldn't hunt. There were lots of folks pounding the "feel free to hunt" stuff. Many of them had permission on other property as well so had options when the weekend traffic got heavy on the "feel free to hunt stuff".

I think that "C" they put in the notes on that hunt is important. If you drew that tag and have no access, your well behind the power curve and will be playing catch up with the guys that already have relationships with the farmers who let folks hunt.
. There is a huge issue with landowners signing up for the hunt by permission only program and never giving permission to anyone but their buddies and families.  I could go on for hours about the abuse :bash:  the new reservation system is every bit as corrupt.  I've emailed and called about it for years.  Wdfw frankly don't care.  Great use of tax dollars for sure :bash:

I don't know why you quoted my post to start your rant.  :dunno: I wasn't complaining about the system, just saying a guy would be best suited to have alternatives and not to rely on the "access" system entirely and expect it to provide a good hunt.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2015, 09:39:07 AM »
I have taken 2 bucks over 140 on the palouse in the last 5 years. And helped friends take 3-4 more in the 135-145 range in that time. All north mear spokane because that is where i hunt most.
I also have seen the abuse of the yellow signs in this area... seems to be a good ol boys club on a lot of those pieces of land.  :twocents:

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2015, 09:42:35 AM »
This is a buck that i was hunting last year there. Sorry about sideways picture  :chuckle:

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2015, 09:53:29 AM »
This is a buck that i was hunting last year there. Sorry about sideways picture  :chuckle:
nice buck! 
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2015, 09:55:10 AM »
nice buck!
he was around my camera in daylight the first 3-4 days of archery... but i was down in mtn view getting my butt kicked!  :chuckle: hoping to see this buck again this year.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]