collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Montana Mule Deer Hunt  (Read 10293 times)

Offline Ray

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1475043431
    • Hunting-Washington
Re: Montana Mule Deer Hunt
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 04:47:45 PM »
There are some pretty good opportunities out there for hunters that have there Bow Ed certificate.  Its a pain in the ass to do it but well worth it in the long run :twocents:

I should be certified by the end of April. I already took the easy online course.

Offline BC CHASER

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Si vis pacem para bellum
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 05:18:23 PM »
Hey Ray,  I have a great hunt for you if you draw.  PM me and I will give you the info. 
WA.MT.UT.AZ.KS.NM.CO.AK.NZ.
Lion Pride founding member

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 05:44:04 PM »
Let me ask you this. Unless it has changed but if you have proof that you hunted in another state via archery you don't need to get the Bow Hunters cert right? I have hunted Montana for several years in the past and al I do is show them my old archery permit and I can get another one. I have points from last years no draw so I am hoping to draw along with the rest of you.
The thing thats killing me is all the other states that I have to up front the money for.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 05:46:41 PM »
Some states don't have the exception rule for bow hunters Ed. Alaska does not for some hunts off the top of my head and there are others.
THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE SUCKS MORE THAN EVER..........

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2009, 05:52:13 PM »
you can find good bucks just about anywhere you go. But the best units are draw only.

I would have to disagree with that 270, yes you can find "good" bucks anywhere, "good" being relative, but the best units are 95% private, not draw only :twocents:

That being said, I suppose the best "public areas" are draw only.
Ya you are right but I consider a buck over 150 inches "good" :chuckle: :chuckle:. And yes you really need to get on privite land to get a really good chance at a nice buck.

I know that unit 270 is the most sought after tag in the state and they pull some hogs out of that unit :yike: :o

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2009, 07:38:43 PM »
Let me ask you this. Unless it has changed but if you have proof that you hunted in another state via archery you don't need to get the Bow Hunters cert right? I have hunted Montana for several years in the past and al I do is show them my old archery permit and I can get another one. I have points from last years no draw so I am hoping to draw along with the rest of you.
The thing thats killing me is all the other states that I have to up front the money for.

I guess you didn't see my post a few back. Yes, in Montana all you have to do is show your archery tag from the previous year from your state, they will give you a stamp over the counter.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Ray

• Old Salt
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1475043431
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2009, 07:40:08 PM »
I'm just going to do my field day part of the course and get my certificate. That way I have it if I need it anywhere else. It's not an inconvenience for me.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2009, 07:45:04 PM »
I know that unit 270 is the most sought after tag in the state and they pull some hogs out of that unit :yike:

And now you will be competing with 2700 additional applicants ;)
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline RPM

• Hunter
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2009, 07:55:04 PM »
i've been going since 1982 and draw a deer combo every 2 to 4 yrs, back to back twice. wish i was smarter in my younger yrs the first 10 yrs we had almost unlimited access. we hunt the 400 units and have little trouble with getting permission.you'll just die when you see all the deer. this year the rut kicked in nov.19. you shoul go for at least 1 antlerless tag too, where we hunt it helps because the ranchers alway want some gone, they strash the hay stacks. fresh apples help too (for the ranchers). i'm getting ready to send my money in. goodluck :tup:

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2009, 10:06:14 PM »
Finnman, don't underestimate the filling out of the app. Most don't believe that FW&P are that particular but I'm telling you they are.

I am going to second this.  No kidding.  Didn't get drawn for 'lope tags a couple of years ago because we did the application wrong.  And don't assume the #@$! on the phone at Fish and Game knows how to fill out the app either.  I wish I had gotten her name...
Good luck.
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal