collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Toutle Quality  (Read 41948 times)

Offline duggyphresh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: Toutle Quality
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2015, 06:51:00 PM »
Any body have any input on where to enter the weyerhauser land at?  They were out of maps at the general store we stopped at.  We have a few options to get one on our 2nd trip though.

Offline Deer slayer

• Longhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2015, 07:19:09 PM »
I will dig through my maps. I may have one I can mail you. I will highlight some roads that use to always have elk.

Offline RallyDawg

• Tracker
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2015, 09:25:08 PM »
I took a drive into the northern area this afternoon and there is a lot of nice patches of timber in that country.  I am curious how soon WeyCo is going to shut the woods down.  I would like to get into that area to scout before they do.  My fear is that they will stay closed throughout September and limit hunter to the state land.   

Offline Deer slayer

• Longhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2015, 09:33:13 PM »
I don't believe the state land is landlocked by Weyco. It's not in the south. They won't let you in if you don't have the permit and what I understand is it isn't good until August 1st. Even with permit I have been told if the fire danger is high then it's still a no go.

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2015, 10:16:18 PM »
I drew a Toutle archery permit in 2001 and that year Weyerhaeuser was shut down for fire danger. The road into the block of state land in the north side of the Toutle unit was gated and they had a guard sitting there all day to make sure nobody parked at the gate so they could walk into the state land.   :bash:

Offline Deer slayer

• Longhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2015, 10:24:30 PM »
My bad. I don't know the north that great. I know the central and southern part.

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2015, 10:37:33 PM »
As far as I know, 2001 is the only year they didn't leave the access road open to the state land. Just my bad luck. Just saying, it could possibly happen again.

Offline Soady

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2015, 11:03:09 PM »
As far as I know, 2001 is the only year they didn't leave the access road open to the state land. Just my bad luck. Just saying, it could possibly happen again.

And it is shaping up for a closure as you speak with the recent closures due to unseasonably dry conditions. After the 4th of July carnage I feel the rest will shut down their holdings. That being said good luck to all that hold the tags come hunting season.
Whatever........

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2015, 11:08:53 PM »
Yeah, kind of glad for that reason that I decided to hunt elk with the muzzleloader this year instead of the bow. Just a little more chance of rain and cooler weather by the time October 3rd comes around.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2015, 12:07:54 AM »
Toutle is a great icebreaker tag. If you havent gotten an elk yet shoot the first legal one you see. You mite not get another.  If you are holding out for a nice 5x5 your odds drop - maybe down to 1:4 depending on how hard you hunt. 

Offline RallyDawg

• Tracker
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2015, 08:22:55 AM »
I am not picky and plan on taking the first branch bull I see.  At this point with the weather conditions I am assuming that WeyCo will be shut down and plan on learning the state area as much as possible.  It will be very frustrating if WeyCo doesn't allow access to the state land if that is the only way in and don't see how they would be allowed to if its landlocked by WeyCo.  Is there a chance that DNR can shut down the state land to the public because of fire risk?  Thanks for all the information, its been very helpful. 

Offline duggyphresh

• Tracker
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2015, 08:33:53 AM »
Hopefully around the November time frame the fire danger is non existent.  They shut down the north road to the state land access?  That's kind of BS.

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2015, 08:39:55 AM »
Weyerhaeuser can shut down that road anytime they want. It's on their land and there is no public easement through there.

Offline fireweed

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2015, 09:15:01 AM »

Weyco  has closed the access to state land (Toutle Block) many times over the years.  For awhile the WDFW had a deal with Weyco and volunteers were manning the gate and opening if for Toutle tag holders through to the state land.  That program was discontinued, so if fire danger is bad, that gate is traditionally locked --state land or not, and permit or not.  A legal easement is desperately needed and we in Cowlitz Co. have been pushing for one for years.  help us out, if you get locked out, write your state reps and Cowlitz Co. commissioners and WDFW and urge support an easements.  Every little bit of squeak will help.

Offline swwaoutdoorsman

• Scout
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2015, 12:40:09 PM »
That is a very old picture. The gate was relocated and is past the state access corridor now so no worries.  Good luck to all you tag holders.
Team Squeaker pro staff

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal