collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: crap day to hunt  (Read 1404 times)

Offline Gobble Gobble

• Proud Daddy & Disabled Veteran
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • B.O.H.I.C.A.
crap day to hunt
« on: January 09, 2009, 01:59:24 PM »
Well I decided to skip work thismorning (it's nice being my own boss) and hit the river to see if I could down a bird or two. The wind has let up a bit, it was only blowing about 10 mph today but it has wormed up to the upper 40's or 50's not sure (I just know I was hot). Well I tried a new area and found a lot of coot a float so I threw a dozen decs out with no luck. Saw a few duck flocks flying across the river a half mile away and a half dozen geese over head (wish it was Saturday) but other than that nothing was up. I packed it in when a numb nut in a duck boat drove by and right through the coot that were resting scaring them all away.

So, I went to a blind I have had some luck at and it was the same there dead. I tossed my decs again and just watched the coots play out in the chop of the river. Not a thing flying other than a couple gulls and hawks. After an hour I packed it in when a Tidewater barge came by and pushed the coot down stream.

I know coot aren't worth shooting but I'd of shot at them today if I had had the chance just to please my itchy trigger finger.

I've learned something Wind + worm weather = a crap day of hunting

God Bless,
Scott

Offline NWTFhunter

• Sourdough
Re: crap day to hunt
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 02:09:03 PM »
sorry to hear you didnt score Gobble.  Were you on the Columbia, and where about ?  I have been seeing a lot of geese in the north section.  But with things warming up, the ducks sure have a lot more options for water now !!!

Offline Gobble Gobble

• Sourdough
  • B.O.H.I.C.A.
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 02:15:36 PM »
I was in the Finley area across from Boise Cascade. It sounded like the Peninsula Unit was doing good, it was also the direction I was glassing and could see the flocks flying. Would have made the 40 min drive over and tried the fields but I only have floating decs.
God Bless,
Scott

Offline NWTFhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 02:55:16 PM »
Last week I saw lots of birds accross from Boise, but the majority have been on the northern sections of the columbia.

Offline Gobble Gobble

• Sourdough
  • B.O.H.I.C.A.
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 04:04:37 PM »
Yah, the misses and I were in the blind and saw lots of birds Saturday and even had a dozen Mallards land in our decs. Now 2 weeks ago when we got the first rain after all the snow it was GREAT birds were flying like mosquito's.
God Bless,
Scott

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal