collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: "Take what you can get" or "Go big or go home"?  (Read 4131 times)

Offline Pete112288

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
"Take what you can get" or "Go big or go home"?
« on: June 18, 2015, 09:47:01 PM »
So I have started thinking more about my goals for putting in for tags, mainly the quality category.
Just looking for opinions because I know everyone could vary here.
So I had been putting in for probably some of the very top tags when it comes to competition for the draw. Some of the most put in for tags. The ones that produce most of the "once in a lifetime" animals that you hear about.
I figured I will take the animals I can get and wait to target a trophy for the "someday" when I draw a tag.
Well I began to think about it, it could be a long time if I ever draw one of those tags, I know its always possible but still.
The best two examples I can think of that I go back and fourth with is the Toutle and Nooksack.
I have been exclusively putting in for Nooksack. But I have began to think about how much more likely it may be for me to draw a Toutle tag. I know quality of Toutle bulls are not what they used to be, at least that's what I hear a lot of.
But for someone who has yet to get a branched bull it seems like something to go after.
So what would your opinion be?
Go big or go home and keep chasing that once in a lifetime even though it may never happen?
or
Take what you are more likely to get and go for the easier, closer to home, easier to scout, more probable to draw?
Oh and if it makes a difference with any of it, I am Muzzy, Westside

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
Re: "Take what you can get" or "Go big or go home"?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 10:08:34 PM »
Go big and work hard on general tags !
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline haugenna

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 10:09:17 PM »
Go big while you have points then once you draw that one go for the other easier units.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 10:09:47 PM »
 You can hunt average critters during the general, "Go Big or Go Home" :twocents:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Mike450r

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 10:13:43 PM »
go big

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 10:23:55 PM »
It's all about how you handle the moment and what it means to you at the instant you pull the trigger. After all it is YOUR tag, and YOU set the perameters. :twocents: Actually, "big" to some, is avg to others. This is a prime example of what "to each their own" means. :tup:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 10:28:28 PM »
It's all about how you handle the moment and what it means to you at the instant you pull the trigger. After all it is YOUR tag, and YOU set the perameters. :twocents: Actually, "big" to some, is avg to others. This is a prime example of what "to each their own" means. :tup:

What this guy said.

With that said...its your hunt to hunt. Do what makes you happy.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline nwhunter

• Sourdough
  • nwhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 06:29:44 AM »
Keep building your points for a quality hunt like Nooksack. Westside elk muzzie hunts especially this year aren't far off of what a Toutle hunt would be like in a general hunt unit. Some giant Rosies will hit the ground this fall on the coast if fire season doesnt shut it down.

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 07:09:20 AM »
You can hunt average critters during the general, "Go Big or Go Home" :twocents:

:yeah:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline furbearer365

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 08:58:54 AM »
Since you haven't even shot a branched bull yet, I would pour my heart and soul into tagging one in a general season with an OTC tag, then call the draw a bonus and GO BIG!!! The only thing in your control is general season and an OTC tag, that would be my focus, because at least you sort of control your own destiny.  Draw tags are no sure thing, by no means.  There are plenty of general units and elk to be had, start your homework, and don't wait for the WDFW to help fulfill your dreams..   :tup: :tup:

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 09:00:42 AM »
There are plenty of general units and elk to be had, start your homework, and don't wait for the WDFW to help fulfill your dreams..   :tup: :tup:

:yeah: :yeah:

I mean ssshhhh.
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Ridgerunner

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 09:44:37 AM »
I'm in the camp go big on a special permit and hunt hard during general.

Offline furbearer365

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 10:29:47 AM »
There are plenty of general units and elk to be had, start your homework, and don't wait for the WDFW to help fulfill your dreams..   :tup: :tup:

:yeah: :yeah:

I mean ssshhhh.

:chuckle: :chuckle:   Just don't hunt in the ones that I hunt...   :chuckle: :chuckle:  Or Jonathan's

Offline xXLojackXx

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2015, 10:41:46 AM »
I made that decision this year. Continue to stack points for a coveted tag (370+ potential) or draw a tag with 5-7 points and have 300-360" potential. I decided I'd rather draw 3 tags and have chances at 300-360" bulls, 3-4 times before drawing a tag to have a chance at ONE 350+ bull.

Remember, drawing a Blues or Nook tag doesn't guarantee you'll fill it. I'd rather have 3 or 4 chances at a "good" unit and put 3-4 good bulls on my wall than to have one chance at a "great" unit and put 1 great bull on my wall. For me it's about being able to hunt. Not completely about the quality of bulls.

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2015, 10:57:07 AM »
When you say "go big" you need to define what big is to you. Trophy hunting is a different game in and of itself.  Because of the lack of choices on the Westside we are forced to look at draws like the Nooksack as OIL  opportunities.  Unfortunate!  With the pressure of oil tags you have to then start ranking what you personally consider success.  Is it all about big antlers?  Passing the biggest bull you've ever seen while hunting? Another often overlooked element is who is along for the ride?  The true go big or go home guys often come back empty, empty with some of the greatest hunts that ever happened.
On a side note, the Nooksack isn't what it used to be either!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal