collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anyone have one? DeLorme InReach™ SE Satellite Communicator  (Read 18776 times)

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
Re: Anyone have one? DeLorme InReach™ SE Satellite Communicator
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2017, 07:40:15 AM »
Below is something i found while researching the differences...Because of the fact that I already have a GPS only unit for hunting purposes (Garmin rhino) I may look to pick up an older model to save some coin.  I don't want to carry two devices in reality, but I also dont like the idea of using my "oh crap" sos device daily, draining the battery

inReach+ versus current inReach: What’s the difference?
The new inReach+ and current inReach units have most things in common, like:

Satellite text messaging;
Earthmate app connectivity;
User interface;
Long-lasting battery life; and,
Service plan options and cost.
There are also a few obvious differences. The inReach+ units:

Cost more, by $70 to $100 at retail;
Weigh about a half-ounce (15 g) more;
Feature a bigger screen, though the size and resolution is hardly on par with even entry-level smartphones; and,
Better protect the S.O.S. button.
The new inReach SE+ is more similar to the current inReach Explorer than to the current SE. The current SE has no mapping functionality. The inReach SE+ has basic features: a feature-less grid map, and the ability to import and create waypoints, routes, and breadcrumbs. It’s like an old-school GPS unit, before they were spec’d with decent screens and maps.

The new inReach Explorer+ is best compared to a conventional handheld GPS unit, but with inReach functionality.

Should I upgrade?
If you already own an inReach SE or inReach Explorer, you may be wondering if there are compelling reasons to buy an inReach+.

It’s not a simple answer, and largely depends on your current and anticipated use, as well as your budget. If you only use the inReach for text messaging, and if you have another GPS solution (e.g. Gaia app) or don’t need one, then the current inReach SE will remain adequate. But if you would appreciate having a combined inReach/GPS, then the Explorer+ would be worth a look.

If you own a current Explorer, the Explorer+ offers only one benefit: it can be used as a GPS even without an active service subscription. If you can avoid paying for months when you hardly use the service (but sometimes want a GPS), an upgrade may actually make financial sense.

Offline kselkhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Anyone have one? DeLorme InReach™ SE Satellite Communicator
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2017, 09:22:56 AM »
I just hope Garmin doesn't change the service plans.  I like being able to enable the service for the hunting months, and disable the rest of the year.  Even with the GPS via app capability in the old Explorer, I still carry my old Garmin Etrex as backup.  As I've had to do more solo backcountry hunts the past few years due to friends' work schedules changing, the breadcrumbs and ability to check in makes the family more comfortable when I'm on the weeklong backcountry trips. And the optional SAR insurance that you can purchase as an add-on to the service is worth it for the low price.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Yesterday at 09:12:44 PM]