collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Expensive Hydration Bladders - I don't think so  (Read 11917 times)

Offline Jekemi

• JEKEMI2005
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Deer beside me
    • jekemi2005
Expensive Hydration Bladders - I don't think so
« on: January 08, 2009, 10:56:55 AM »
Tucked at the bottom of my day pack is a plain old blue rubber water bladder you get at Walgreens for under $5 bucks. It holds a quart of watter and has a large "gas cap" for easy filling and drinking. When it's empty it doesn't weigh much and collapses nearly flat. Not as cool as the little plastic drinking tube extending out of the pack but it doesn't cost $80 bucks for the pack either. Plus, you can fill it with ice, snow, or hot water for easing sore muscles or joints. You can even fill it up with hot water and put it at the bottom of your sleeping bag.
Warning! Do not elect politicians who don't support the 2nd Amendment as the Constitutional framers intended - There are no Collective Rights in the Bill of Rights. America is about Individual Freedoms, not collectivism!

Offline HawkenBob

• Longhunter
Re: Expensive Hydration Bladders - I don't think so
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 12:27:17 PM »
Plus, you can do enema's too! :chuckle: Kidding, sorry...

A good bladder with hose to go in any pack is only 20 to 30 bucks. MSR's is awesome for about 33 bucks.
It's not just the cool hose that makes it. Its the fact that you dont have to remove the pack. You hydrate better when the water is easier to get too.

When doing hard long hikes the tubes make the difference. Most pack are "hydration" ready now a days.

But a great tip for lower cost if stopping and taking off your pack dosent matter to ya.
I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me to.

Offline HawkenBob

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 12:30:13 PM »
The MSR can do all too with its BIG cap. And its enama ready with a hose already! :chuckle:

Check em out...http://www.msrgear.com/hydration/systems.asp
I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me to.

Offline uncoolperson

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 12:39:21 PM »
anyone else use the bags from boxes of wine for extended trips?

Offline Alpine Mojo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 04:21:38 PM »
I just wash and reuse empty water bottles.  The 1 liter Aquafina bottles fit perfectly in the side pockets of my pack, one on each side and I'm carrying a full days worth.  Hydration bladders and feeding tubes just seem like a trendy accessory to me.
Friend: "Are you free tonight?"
Me:  (Gazing into the distance as a bald eagle screeches)  "I'm always free"

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 04:33:17 PM »
anyone else use the bags from boxes of wine for extended trips?
yeah but im usally shatfaced by the time I get there.I used to use bottle,to much noise.the bladder with the tube on my shoulder has been well tested by me and I love it.thats a good idea on the wine bag

Offline Jekemi

• JEKEMI2005
  • Longhunter
  • Deer beside me
    • jekemi2005
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 06:36:25 PM »
Well you guys go right ahead and spend $30 for a plastic bag with a plastic hose coming out of it. Me, I'll stick to my trusty water bottle and ice bag. Fight high prices, use what you have.

What did hunters ever do 50 years ago; you wonder how they ever took any game without camo, $200 dollar techno boots, and $30 dollar plastic bags.
Warning! Do not elect politicians who don't support the 2nd Amendment as the Constitutional framers intended - There are no Collective Rights in the Bill of Rights. America is about Individual Freedoms, not collectivism!

Offline rasbo

• Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 07:03:03 PM »
Well you guys go right ahead and spend $30 for a plastic bag with a plastic hose coming out of it. Me, I'll stick to my trusty water bottle and ice bag. Fight high prices, use what you have.

What did hunters ever do 50 years ago; you wonder how they ever took any game without camo, $200 dollar techno boots, and $30 dollar plastic bags.
If they would have had it they would have used it.I was hunting with my dad since far back as  i can remember,it was tuff.about 5 yrs before he died I bought him some goretex bibs and coat.After a few hours in the rain he stopped and said,I dont care how much this cost,this is better than sliced bread.we never used tents,it was the bed of the truck,and if it was raining it was under the truck with a tarp.I love the elements but,I like to make things comfy as possible also.I broke my neck a while back,my pack didnt have a waist belt,the neck problems made it painfull with out the waist belt.So I bought a pack that would relieve that pain in my shoulders.It came with the bladder.Im sure happy with it.

Offline gasman

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 07:55:27 PM »
I have used a "Platapus" blatter for 4 years now. I have used the water bottle and it makes to much noise as it gets empty and takes up much needed space. The cheap water blatters always tend to taste bad and its very difficult to get rid of the bad taste of rubber in most of them.

The "Platapus" i use has a opening like a "Zip Loc" bag that i can put ice in it and it does not leak andare very easy to clean.
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 09:45:13 PM »

They used to hunt from the truck, wearing cotton flannel shirts, lay the rifle across the hood as they smoked a cigarette and pick which buck to shoot, from the many.

I added a water tube to a one liter bottle on the side of my pack for years, so I could get a sip ever now and then without taking the pack off.... finally caved and bought a camelpack to add to my hunt pack. Technology and new stuff are not my enemy. Work is my enemy.
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline Wolf Track

• Tracker
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 05:16:06 AM »
I'm continually amazed on how much "importance" people are taught to put on certain "things"

I've been teaching survival classes now for a couple years and practicing it for about 10

I've been in the Olympics, Cascades, Rockies, Mojave Desert...

While water is very important, it’s not one of those issues sitting at the fore front of my mind any more as it used to

I use a couple plastic pop or water bottles and collect it when I can

It would probably surprise most on how much water a guy can do with out when they retrain themselves

I've been with people that think they need to take a sip or drind every couple minutes to stay "properly" hydrated

I suppose in the most perfect sense, in the most perfect world, this is true

I also fight wildland fires and there are times it gets very hot and dry with no water in sight except that which you brought yourself

I've seen some of those kids on my crew literally drink close to three gallons a day and still show signs of dehydration

Trick is to drink as much as you can in the evening, giving your bodies cells plenty of time to re-hydrate, then some in the morning before you head out

The natives of this continent used to suck on a rock to keep their thirst down until they could get to water, this works very well as it keeps the ol’ saliva glands working

It may surprise some of you how long you can go with out water or less of during the day and still function quite fine

A good soldier is a poor scout. - Cheyenne

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 11:10:31 AM »
I know for a fact, I hunt better and longer when I constantly drink from my camelbak.  Turkey season is a prime example, I can hunt way longer and feel better by staying hydrated.  As a kid I used to hunt all day without water and I'd get back to the truck and drink and drink from a gallon jug of warm water.  This is soooo much better now.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline BLUEBULLS

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 11:38:15 AM »
It's hard to believe that anyone would not consider using a hydration bladder. you can get a pretty good 2 liter for $10. It definitley helps if you're on a intense hike or just want a drink without digging for a bottle that's sloshing around loudly in your pack. I always thought it was just another new money maker gadget until I used one, now I don't like going without one. the bottom line for me is, I hunt harder and longer when I'm hydrated and if water is tough to get at, I will not drink as much. sure you can go for fairly long periods without water but when it's simple to pack a couple liters, why not have it?

One of the best inventions ever, for hunting in my mind. :twocents:

Offline Jekemi

• JEKEMI2005
  • Longhunter
  • Deer beside me
    • jekemi2005
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 12:26:11 PM »
OK, you talked me into a hydration bladder. Someone mentioned you can get one for $10. What's the brand?

The Old Guys: My grandfather had a small hunting cabin in Stony Creek NY, above Saratoga. He built an amazing stone fireplace on the side of it. He and his hunting buddies would go up there for a week, drink, tell lies, and eat bad food. They would hike miles in the snow with rubber goulashes, heavy army-green wool pants, and red flannel jackets. How they ever stayed warm I'll never know. No binoculars, heavy wicker rucksacks, iron sights. My Grandfather had a custom-made Savage lever action rifle, not sure of the caliber. He got deer every year, many of them were on the wall in their house or in his workshop. I'd love to talk to him today about those hunting trips.

Offline BLUEBULLS

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 01:49:37 PM »
I'm not sure the brand of the $10 bladder but if you do a google search you'll find a lot in the $10-15 range. you can make about any pack work with them.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]