collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hunting around Mnt Adams Wilderness  (Read 19558 times)

Offline huntinluva

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Hunting around Mnt Adams Wilderness
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2015, 12:44:46 PM »
3 new fires, that's not cool.

Offline elkoholic

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2015, 01:00:52 PM »
where are the three new fires that started last night?

The largest of the three new lightning fires is the 100-acre Riley Fire which is burning in the Mount Adams Wilderness one mile north of the Horseshoe Fire. On Thursday evening, two loads of retardant were dropped on its northwest side to prevent potential spread towards recreation areas. The 7 Lakes Fire is a small fire burning in the Lewis River drainage, two miles south of Takhlakh Lake. The Canyon Fire is a small fire burning on the south side of Council Bluff, 1.5 miles northwest of Council Lake.

A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be, time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, the animals, and fish that live there”.- Fred bear

Offline nastybynature

• Hunter
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2015, 01:05:42 PM »
Here is a good link for fire info. Now calling it the "Mt. Adams Complex"

http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/article/4360/25756/
"On every question of construction, carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text, or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed."
--Thomas Jefferson to William Johnson, 1823

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline HUNT-HARD

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2015, 01:28:44 PM »
Thank you Elkoholic!

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2015, 02:15:30 PM »
Thanks for the info.

The various fires, based on the descriptions.

Offline spin05

• Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2015, 02:22:24 AM »
Love the area but when we hunted it 2 years ago on the westside we went in at 2:30am in the dark. Hit the calls a few times thru 4 diffrent drainage and not a peep.  All the wallows from the year before were dry and didnt see any fresh sign. Sure looks awsome thou in there

Offline msg

• Hunter
    • NA
  • Groups: NA
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2015, 06:05:13 AM »
I had the Oct. 1 rifle tag several years ago. Most incredible elk hunt I have been on. Went over three different times before the season. Talked to a lot of bow hunters that all had the same story, hard to find until the rut starts. Then it gets pretty wild. Walked for three days before the season without much sign then got a tip from a PCT hiker. Night before opening day we were at the top of the Stagmen trail listening to six bulls going off in the timber below the intersection with the PCT.  Was back up there at daylight the next morning and the elk were all going nuts. One of the bulls sounded like a total terradactal. Did not ever see him. Saw two nice fives spinning in circles until a spike ran right between them. Blew it on a nice five, missed ahead shot as he was boiling downhill. Next afternoon after showers and laundry at Troutlake we walked up Riley creek from the highway. A mile or so up the hill my buddy said he thought he heard a bugle. A minute later a bull cut lose with a bugle that sounded like it was right on top of us. I about came out of my boots. He told me he was going to try to cow call, bugling in days prior brought no responses. I scooted up about thirty yards to be able to see better as it was still pretty thick. As soon as he cow called a bull came walking in, I thought it was a spike because of the thick brush, Above me about sixty yards I could see the branches on a large tree moving back and forth. It finally dawned on me that it was a big bull standing right behind the tree. The spike was still standing there at thirty yards looking right at me. He finally turned and I could see that he was a nice forked horn double. I shot him, with no regrets as I had to go back to work on Monday. My buddy said another bull came and went that I did not see and another was circling behind us when I shot. Muddy Meadows is another spot on the north side that has been good over the years. I believe we walked 10 plus miles a day up there so unless you spike camp be ready for that

Offline nastybynature

• Hunter
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2015, 07:41:10 AM »
I had the Oct. 1 rifle tag several years ago. Most incredible elk hunt I have been on. Went over three different times before the season. Talked to a lot of bow hunters that all had the same story, hard to find until the rut starts. Then it gets pretty wild. Walked for three days before the season without much sign then got a tip from a PCT hiker. Night before opening day we were at the top of the Stagmen trail listening to six bulls going off in the timber below the intersection with the PCT.  Was back up there at daylight the next morning and the elk were all going nuts. One of the bulls sounded like a total terradactal. Did not ever see him. Saw two nice fives spinning in circles until a spike ran right between them. Blew it on a nice five, missed ahead shot as he was boiling downhill. Next afternoon after showers and laundry at Troutlake we walked up Riley creek from the highway. A mile or so up the hill my buddy said he thought he heard a bugle. A minute later a bull cut lose with a bugle that sounded like it was right on top of us. I about came out of my boots. He told me he was going to try to cow call, bugling in days prior brought no responses. I scooted up about thirty yards to be able to see better as it was still pretty thick. As soon as he cow called a bull came walking in, I thought it was a spike because of the thick brush, Above me about sixty yards I could see the branches on a large tree moving back and forth. It finally dawned on me that it was a big bull standing right behind the tree. The spike was still standing there at thirty yards looking right at me. He finally turned and I could see that he was a nice forked horn double. I shot him, with no regrets as I had to go back to work on Monday. My buddy said another bull came and went that I did not see and another was circling behind us when I shot. Muddy Meadows is another spot on the north side that has been good over the years. I believe we walked 10 plus miles a day up there so unless you spike camp be ready for that

Good info to have. Thanks for sharing that!  :tup:
"On every question of construction, carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text, or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed."
--Thomas Jefferson to William Johnson, 1823

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline spin05

• Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2015, 04:46:03 AM »
just a FYI some of those trails are curretly closed for fire.......

Offline haus

• Too Tall
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2015, 11:12:51 AM »
Majority of the wilderness area is closed, looks like they plan on continuing the closer through to september 30th unless we get a significant change in weather.
RMEF

Offline KDB

• Hunter
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2015, 03:33:42 PM »
I believe the East side of the Mt. Adams Wilderness is in the Yakima Indian Reservation

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Explorer
  • R.I.P. Colockumelk 20130423. Semper Fi!
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2015, 09:40:12 PM »
 :yeah: it is
If you can read thank a teacher, If you can read in English thank a Marine! 
Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother!

"Around this camp, there's only one Chief; the rest are Indians!"

"Give me 15 more minutes, I was dreaming of Beavers!"

Offline mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2015, 12:24:17 PM »
FYI they closed the entire wilderness yesterday. http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/article/4484/28066/

Offline motg9_6

• These animals are gods gift first before government's possessions. If it is illegal for a man to fend for himself then he can not be a man in his own right!
  • Longhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2015, 12:40:35 PM »
 :yeah: till the 30 of October pending weather

Offline Little Fish

• Scout
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2015, 02:12:52 PM »
cool website

* Advertisement