collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Eastern Oregon Archery Elk  (Read 3506 times)

Offline flcracker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: DU, TU
Eastern Oregon Archery Elk
« on: June 29, 2015, 04:31:17 PM »
I have finally decided to hunt eastern Oregon this year with an OTC archery tag. I have been looking at all of the hunt stats for the past few years vs. public land and hunt days and have narrowed it down to a few GMUs. I will be able to make a few trips before season starts and plan on hunting the first week of Sept. I was just curious if anyone has any suggestions/info on GMUs, such as type of terrain, amount of roads and such. Also wouldn't mind seeing some general season archery elk from OR and hearing about your experiences. Thanks
Ain't nothing better than riding a fine horse through new country.
-Augustus McCrae

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
Re: Eastern Oregon Archery Elk
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 04:40:42 PM »
My dad and I hunted two years ago and had a great time. We got packed in 8 miles and were in elk every day. Didn't seal the deal but still a great hunt. Pm me with any questions
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 05:36:56 PM »
The first week might be a little tricky as I don't know what the bugling will be like.  We usually do the last 8-10 days of their season.  I have been hunting down there for 7 years in a row now.  We have always talked about packing in one of the wilderness areas but seem to do pretty good just hunting from camp.  Starkey and Desolation Units would be the two I would look at for OTC action.  You shouldn't have any problem finding elk.

Offline flcracker

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 08:28:52 PM »
Thanks for the info, Starkey was one of the units I was thinking about as well as Pine Creek. I will be able to hunt there the first week then WA for westside archery season and back the last weekend of the OR season if I haven't filled the tag already. I've heard the elk tend to be more vocal down there, is that what you guys have experienced?
-Augustus McCrae

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 07:15:53 AM »
Thanks for the info, Starkey was one of the units I was thinking about as well as Pine Creek. I will be able to hunt there the first week then WA for westside archery season and back the last weekend of the OR season if I haven't filled the tag already. I've heard the elk tend to be more vocal down there, is that what you guys have experienced?

We were in pine creek the second to last week of the season. Lots of bugles, especially at night but they were call wary as most herd Bulls were cowed up. I was able to call in some satellite Bulls but also had some come in completely silent.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Odell

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 06:06:51 PM »
Pm at you
what in the wild wild world of sports???

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 06:55:04 PM »
Both  units have a good population of elk. IMO your plan of going the first week is spot on. My experience in the areas is that other than opening weekend you will have little to no pressure in many areas. Finding bulls still on summer patterns, or even batched up is not uncommon, they may be in the open somewhat patternable. They will still be pretty lazy, but any weather switches will create some activity in my experience. And some bulls will be starting to get the itch.

The last ten day although generally no shortage of bugles or elk sign, finding unpressured elk is very tough. My expereince was Somewhat easier in Pine creek. The wilderness has some nooks and crannies that they hole up in. Dont worry so much about going deep in the trail sense as this will often lead to outfitted areas with pressure. Be prepared to switch up tactics a bit and if you do get a good response get in very tight before attempting to setup as any hint of foul play is likely to send him runnning.

I have personally had best success eastside during the first week, killing a couple bulls in consecutive years partners and I opening week. Small 6 points after passing some bulls opening weekend. Depending on the year I actually prefer to spend the last week on the westside.

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 07:16:11 AM »
If you're going to check out Pine Creek you should give Lookout Mountain a once over also. They have some fairly similar terrain. Find areas with good water and away from roads, it's normally pretty warm the first week of September.

Offline flcracker

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 04:24:27 PM »
Thanks for the info, I got back last night from a short scouting trip this weekend and have decided what unit/area to hunt. I am headed back the second week of August to really put some boots to the ground and see what I can find
-Augustus McCrae

Offline Axle

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 08:35:40 PM »
I hunted the Desolation unit for several years and had a blast! Watched the elk numbers quickly dwindle due to too many cougars too. Haven't been there in a few but would love to go back.
I have buddies that faithfully hunt the Starkey unit. It gets quite a bit of pressure but if you get away from roads and trails, you will do fine.
And the weather can go from 100 degrees one day to 20 degrees the next. But what would life be without a little challenge thrown in?.....
I am the man what runs with the football: Jerry Clower

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU