collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Broadhead question  (Read 5579 times)

Offline Vo2max

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Location: Mentally: in the woods. Physically: dreaming of the woods
Broadhead question
« on: July 01, 2015, 08:45:55 PM »
Ok, I've shot many BH's on the market and finally, last season,
Found the Muzzy MX-3's and the Slick Trick Standards (both in 100g) to fly very well. My quandary is the Standard heads are so small... Am I losing anything by not shooting the magnum. My FOC is already 12.6% so a heavier head may bring that up a bit but will having a larger cutting surface help me at all? Opinions abound on this but just wondering. Thanks!

Erik
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 09:24:12 PM by Vo2max »

Offline DVET253

• Undergraduate in Trajectory
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: RMEF (Life Member) Vortex Nation
Re: Broadhead question
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 05:52:37 AM »
Erik,

I use the Slick Trick's and from what I've read on their site (prior to the recent acquisition by The Outdoor Group following Gary Cooper's death in Spetember '13) they design their heads around specific species, razor trick = hogs, grizz trick = bear, standards and magnums = elk and deer respectively (the older packaging had a picture of the intended species at the bottom). The Standard's (1") are intended for Elk, and the Magnums (1-1/8") are intended for Deer. The reasoning, as was stated by Slick Trick was this: Elk being naturally larger, a smaller cutting diameter would penetrate further into the body cavity and potentially creating more damage to the vital areas (veins, lungs, heart etc.) due to the reduced drag of the smaller blades. Deer being obviously smaller, don't necessarily need the reduced drag from the smaller cutting head as much, more cutting surface to cut more on impact leading to greater damage to vital areas, and hopefully quicker recovery.

Now, will both or any of their heads for that matter, work fine on both Deer and Elk, yes. The decision lies with you and how well each style tunes and shoots with your setup, how much FOC you'd like to achieve etc. I like that fact that the replacement blades are interchangeable between the ferules, the 100gr magnum and the 125gr magnum use the same blade, the 100gr standard and the 125gr standard are the same blade as well. I typically buy a few packs of each (100gr standard and magnum) and then just buy the respective replacement blades to "freshen up" the BH each season as needed.

-Jeff
2018 Hoyt RX-1 Ultra (subalpine) 70Lbs
Trophy Taker Smackdown Pro
Spot Hogg Fast Eddie XL 3-pin custom
Easton FMJ .300's with 100gr FP and Slick Tricks
Vortex Optics

Offline Fireant11

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 09:40:10 AM »
Great explanation Jeff!  Thanks!  :tup:

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 04:10:49 PM »
Easy answer is "No!". 

Might give you a little better blood trail due to the slightly larger hole in hide, but .047-.093" per side won't make a hill of beans difference.  12-15% increase in diameter does not equate to a 12-15% increase in killing efficiency.  But, the increased quality of the blades in a Slick Trick compared to the blades of in the Muzzy MX-3 should greatly increase killing efficiency.

With your bow/arrow set-up penetration is a moot point too.
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline Vo2max

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 09:10:19 PM »
Thanks for the insight gents! I think I'm going to stick with slick tricks 100% in my quiver... They shoot so well with my set up... Again, due to RadSav's input/expertise.

Can't wait to hit the elk woods.

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 10:10:38 PM »
Next year I expect those to be Savora broadheads :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline scoutdog346

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 10:31:49 PM »
What radsav said and i shoot what ever i group the best with.  The best shooting broadheads ive ever shot were called sonics in 7/8. I cant find them anymore and i wont buy them on the net becouse about 15% have dull blades and i try to take them back and i dont get a responce as they say they r discontinued. The only thing i dont like about them is half the time the blades would fall out of their slots when they hit a deer or elk but the still kill.  They really flew like field points and i would rather his a elk in the lungs with a field point then  Nickelodeon and got shot  help with her Magnum 1.5. 
  Remember...! test ur broadheads@ 20yds 1st then go out to 60 or 70.  Every broadhead i have shot will shoot straight out of my bow at 20yds but it blows my mind what broadheads do at 70 to 90 yards.  I can only shoot a few brands straight at 70 to 90yds with out moving my rest. Sonic 7/8, slick trick 1", those really cheap ones by Eastman that r like $12 per 3 pack, ultimate steel 1" and for some reson the 4 blade muzzy work well with out moving my rest. Only the sonics make a 7" group @ 70yds.  All the other ones group 1" over i.e. slick tricks make a 10" group at 90yds on a good day. 

Offline MLBowhunting

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 10:34:49 PM »
Try a VanDyke.   :tup:
Copper John Pro Staff
R.A.D Broadheads
R.A.D Peeps
Hot Shot Pro Staff

Offline scoutdog346

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 10:42:47 PM »
What radsav said and i shoot what ever i group the best with.  The best shooting broadheads ive ever shot were called sonics in 7/8. I cant find them anymore and i wont buy them on the net becouse about 15% have dull blades and i try to take them back and i dont get a responce as they say they r discontinued. The only thing i dont like about them is half the time the blades would fall out of their slots when they hit a deer or elk but the still kill.  They really flew like field points and i would rather his a elk in the lungs with a field point then  Nickelodeon and got shot  help with her Magnum 1.5. 
  Remember...! test ur broadheads@ 20yds 1st then go out to 60 or 70.  Every broadhead i have shot will shoot straight out of my bow at 20yds but it blows my mind what broadheads do at 70 to 90 yards.  I can only shoot a few brands straight at 70 to 90yds with out moving my rest. Sonic 7/8, slick trick 1", those really cheap ones by Eastman that r like $12 per 3 pack, ultimate steel 1" and for some reson the 4 blade muzzy work well with out moving my rest. Only the sonics make a 7" group @ 70yds.  All the other ones group 1" over i.e. slick tricks make a 10" group at 90yds on a good day.
Sorry i ment to say i would rather hit a elk with a field point in the lungs then gut shot one with a Magnum 1.5.

Offline 3dvapor

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 11:00:02 PM »
Give the grave diggers a try its a hybrid mechanical.  They fly great and wound channel is great.  Its a cut on contact with back up mechanicals.

Offline Vo2max

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 09:01:28 PM »

Noted! :)

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 08:25:23 AM »

I will shoot savoras as soon as I can find them!  Can we order online anywhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2015, 02:48:26 PM »
I believe over half of the proshops in Washington have them now. I know Archery World -Vancouver and xXx Archery - St.Helens, OR will ship if you call. Probably most pro-shops will.  Carpsniper has offered H-W members a fairly good deal http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,169423.0.html.  Jason Phelps  http://phelpsgamecalls.com/products is stocking almost the entire line and you can add a few elk calls at the same time!  And that is just touching the PNW.  Last I checked there were more than 30 listings with a simple Google/Bing search.

If your local pro shop has run out, didn't stock the item you wanted or has been on the fence about another broadhead we can always drop ship direct to the consumer.  That goes for all the new peep colors too!

http://radicalarchery.com/
http://savoraarchery.com/

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2015, 02:53:17 PM »
I will reach out to Jason or xXx.  I haven't seen them at the nock point yet but haven't been there in a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2015, 03:02:11 PM »
I have not shipped directly to The Nock Point or seen them at any of the buying shows in a few years.  Figure they must be getting RAD products through one of our great industry distributors.  So I don't have a good idea on what they have.  They are an approved customer in good standing so we can easily have product to them in 24 hours if they wished to order direct.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal