collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Let's Talk Boots!  (Read 31676 times)

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
Let's Talk Boots!
« on: July 07, 2015, 08:39:14 AM »
I'm sick of burning through boots in the $150-200 range   >:(

What's the best boot out there?  I'm thinking hard (pun intended) about the Kenetrek Hardscrabbles.  I want something bullet proof, water proof, mid height, steel shank, no insulation and less than $100...okay less than $600  :chuckle:

I was going to send some PMs but I though this would be a good topic for others to read too. 
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
Re: Let's Talk Boots!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 08:51:15 AM »
I've burned thru my share of $200-300 boots. So far my Lowas are one of my favorites. Excellent support while side billing, sliding down the steeper stuff and they're lighter than the Danners and Meindles I've had in the past. (With a size 13 that matters!)
They're not marketed as a hunting boot. But I can say they've held up well under heavy loads in steep terrain.. 
I think they were in the $225-250 range at REI about 3-4 years ago
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline Jonathan_S

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 08:53:06 AM »
Lowa is a brand that I haven't paid much attention to.  I'll check them out.

Anyone else?  What's been good, what's been bad?

Offline Netminder01

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 09:02:07 AM »
Tag.

Good timing on this thread - I just took my favorite boots into Dave Page (Fremont shoe-smith) and he recommended I trash the boots. Noooooooooooo!

This means I'm in the market for another pair. I've had Lowa and Danners in the past but many years ago. Looking forward to feedback on this thread.

Offline coop2424

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 09:05:02 AM »
I have Kenetrek's and just got a pair of Lowa's..  To me the lowas are better boots but I also have not ran them very long..  I have had to send one pair of my kenetreks back twice now to get repairs.. Their customer service is excellent but I hate to have to send them in not to mention one time they sent me new boots that I had to break in again.

The key is to find the one that fits your foot best..  Brands Zamberlan, lowa, shnee, meindl, hanwag, scarpa, danner us made.

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 09:25:26 AM »
I've had the Vasque summit GTX for a few years with no complaints.

Offline GoldTip

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 09:51:21 AM »
I have the Kenetrek Mtn Extreme's and have been very happy with them.  A bit stiff for everyday archery elk hunting, but all the support in the world that you need once you've got elk on your back.  Break in I've found is roughly 50miles or so, but they are pretty comfortable, just stiff from the word go.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 09:55:09 AM »
Here are a few reviews I have done and a few choices to look at.

http://ireviewgear.com/boots/schnee-schnees-beartooth-hunting-boot-review

http://ireviewgear.com/boots/lowa-ranger-ii-gtx-boot-review

http://ireviewgear.com/boots/zamberlan-164-elk-gt-boot-review

That said I have also had very good luck with Lowa Tibet GTX HI and the Lowa Camino. Kenetreks were ok as well until they failed me. Below is my experience with them.

Kenetrek
I had a pair of the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme noninsulated boots and had a serious problem with them leaking. I cleaned the boots and when I was taking out my insoles i notice a HUGE hole in the heal where my foot had rubbed a hole all the way to the plastic. This surprised me as they had really only been used on a few hunts and had maybe 100 miles or so. I sent the boots to the company and after a week called to make sure they received them. I was told they would call me back. After another week of not hearing anything I called again and was told I was not in the system. They then had to go find my boots. They told me they had called me and e-mailed me and that they were going to offer me a new pair at the discounted price of $300. This floored me! Why the hell would i spend another $300 on a pair of boots that i already spent $400 on and they failed me???!!! I said as much. I was told the tech would call me back and explain. After checking both my email and my voicemail i found that neither had messages from Kenetrek. I called back and told them i had not received anything from them. Obviously, I had not know about it or why would i call to inquire about the boots if i had gotten a message? The person on the phone said they had to review the boots and they would call me back. a short time later i got a call and was told that they would be sending me a new pair and that after review they could see that the boots where not overly worn and that it was not a normal wear issue.

It is great that they are going to send me a new pair of boots and i am thankful but i feel like i should not have had to fight so hard to make that happen. Had i not said anything they would have been fine with letting me spend another $300.

will say this of the boots though, they preform very well in rough terrain. No rolled ankle or sore feet from me. Not ever! The only issue i had was some heal slippage and a few blisters before i broke my feet in. I say feel because I don’t think you can go from shoes and sandals on flat ground to boots and hills without expecting your feet to have a toughing up period. The waterproofing ultimately failed me and a thunderstorm wetted the grass enough that my 8 mile hike was soon very unpleasant as my feet quickly became soaked. Yes, i was wearing a synthetic/wool blend lightweight sock so it was not a sock issue. I use Lorpen socks every time i put on my boots.

Kenetrek boots are comfortable and stable that i can say without a doubt. My boots held water out about as good as a pair of flip flops though. The customer service was shaky at first but in the end they made things right with me. If they fix the leakage issue i would say they are worth the money for sure
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 10:12:18 AM »
I've had the Vasque summit GTX for a few years with no complaints.

I have a pair of Vasque for about 12 years now, and while they don't get as much use these days, they have held up well with regular maintenance.  This is their current iteration.

http://www.amazon.com/Vasque-St-Elias-Backpacking-Beluga/dp/B00AJHDIB2/

They make a fine dry weather boot and do well with gaiters in the dew.  Great sole and ankle support.

For really wet and rainy, you cannot beat rubber.  I have the Lacrosse 18" uninsulated and carry an extra pair of socks.  They are sturdy but lacking in ankle support for side-hilling.  But for slogging through wet underbrush in the rain or through slush, no leather boot can keep your feet drier. Something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/LaCrosse-Alphaburly-18-Realtree-Hunting/dp/B00B28UEE6/

For late season in the snow, I have a pair of White pac boots that are sturdy, warm, and dry.  I have an extra liner to change out daily if needed.  They are heavy, so not a likely candidate for a lightweight backcountry boot.

http://www.whitesboots.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29863

All told, that is near $600 in boots.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 10:13:49 AM »

Love my Lowa Ranger GTXs
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 10:23:05 AM »
I got some lowa bighorn hunters this spring. I spent the bucks and did the lathrop and sons custom boot system. They recommended the best boot for my feet and type of hunting i do and altered them to fit me exactly. While not a cheap investment I am very pleased with the outcome. These boots are the best I have had so far. And lathrop has been awesome to work with. Another thing is all future footwear purchases from lathrop will be altered to my feet at no charge. Just pay retail.
I spent enough on boots in the last 5 years that either went to crap or didn't fit right that I feel if these work for a few years I'll be money ahead.  Plus my feet love them.  :chuckle:

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 10:27:18 AM »
I just spend the $200 a year on a new pair of Irish Setters and use the previous years pairs as back up and just keep cycling out the oldest pair when I buy a new pair.  Sometimes I can take a year off and use the two pair on hand.  It just depends on the previous year and how much wear and tear I put on them.  I think the cost ends up working out about the same as if I bought a more expensive pair and got three years out of them.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline b0bbyg

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 10:40:45 AM »

I have primarily used Lowas for the last 4-5 years.  First pair worked great for 2 years and still was very comfortable but had a minor leak starting. Took back to REI and asked if I could get partial trade or send in for leak fix. They just gave me a new pair and sent me on my way   :IBCOOL:
This will be year 3 on that pair I think.  At the time they were around $210
Lots of miles in varied terrain. Still happy with them.
In God we trust, all others bring cash.

Do not say, Why were the old days better than these? For it is not wise to ask such questions.
Ecclesiastes 7 10

Offline Jonathan_S

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 10:47:47 AM »
Here are a few reviews I have done and a few choices to look at.

http://ireviewgear.com/boots/schnee-schnees-beartooth-hunting-boot-review

http://ireviewgear.com/boots/lowa-ranger-ii-gtx-boot-review

http://ireviewgear.com/boots/zamberlan-164-elk-gt-boot-review

That said I have also had very good luck with Lowa Tibet GTX HI and the Lowa Camino. Kenetreks were ok as well until they failed me. Below is my experience with them.

Kenetrek
I had a pair of the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme noninsulated boots and had a serious problem with them leaking. I cleaned the boots and when I was taking out my insoles i notice a HUGE hole in the heal where my foot had rubbed a hole all the way to the plastic. This surprised me as they had really only been used on a few hunts and had maybe 100 miles or so. I sent the boots to the company and after a week called to make sure they received them. I was told they would call me back. After another week of not hearing anything I called again and was told I was not in the system. They then had to go find my boots. They told me they had called me and e-mailed me and that they were going to offer me a new pair at the discounted price of $300. This floored me! Why the hell would i spend another $300 on a pair of boots that i already spent $400 on and they failed me???!!! I said as much. I was told the tech would call me back and explain. After checking both my email and my voicemail i found that neither had messages from Kenetrek. I called back and told them i had not received anything from them. Obviously, I had not know about it or why would i call to inquire about the boots if i had gotten a message? The person on the phone said they had to review the boots and they would call me back. a short time later i got a call and was told that they would be sending me a new pair and that after review they could see that the boots where not overly worn and that it was not a normal wear issue.

It is great that they are going to send me a new pair of boots and i am thankful but i feel like i should not have had to fight so hard to make that happen. Had i not said anything they would have been fine with letting me spend another $300.

will say this of the boots though, they preform very well in rough terrain. No rolled ankle or sore feet from me. Not ever! The only issue i had was some heal slippage and a few blisters before i broke my feet in. I say feel because I don’t think you can go from shoes and sandals on flat ground to boots and hills without expecting your feet to have a toughing up period. The waterproofing ultimately failed me and a thunderstorm wetted the grass enough that my 8 mile hike was soon very unpleasant as my feet quickly became soaked. Yes, i was wearing a synthetic/wool blend lightweight sock so it was not a sock issue. I use Lorpen socks every time i put on my boots.

Kenetrek boots are comfortable and stable that i can say without a doubt. My boots held water out about as good as a pair of flip flops though. The customer service was shaky at first but in the end they made things right with me. If they fix the leakage issue i would say they are worth the money for sure

This is great info...thanks Cory!

I am really thinking more about the Lowas now...hmmm?

Online KNOPHISH

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 10:51:54 AM »
I just got some Lowa Hunters begining of last year & so far the best boot I've ever had. I laughed when I saw the prices of these top shelf boots & others like Kenetreks but I think they're worth it plus I got em on sale for about half off. They are tall, supportive, light weight, & very comfortable.
I have Man Chit to do

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10