collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: .54 Bullet Selection for 150 Yard Elk: Help Needed  (Read 9494 times)

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
.54 Bullet Selection for 150 Yard Elk: Help Needed
« on: July 08, 2015, 10:17:09 AM »
So I'm doing a lot of elk hunting with my Cabelas Sporterized Hawken .54 this year.  I've placed a musket cap nipple on it, a Lyman hooded front sight and a lyman peep site on the tang.  I'm really hoping to be proficient for MOE (minute of elk) at 150 yards come October.

I am trying to figure out what bullet I should be using for this venture.  In the past I've only ever hunted deer at <100 yards and just used powerbelts.  In my longer range life, what should I use?  Are the copper solids from Barnes the best bet?  There are also some copper jacketed powerbelts on sale that seem like they may work.  Do I want a lighter bullet with a smaller diameter (like a .45 sabot) to keep BC down for longer shots?  Will that still work sufficiently for elk?

One final note... I had too much oil in my barrel the last time I used it and I had to pull my bullet.  That worked out fine because I was starting my sight in process with round balls and it was easy to screw my bullet puller into the ball.  If i were using copper solids... is this still possible?  Has anyone ever had that problem with bullets without removable breech plugs?  Should I be concerned about that moving forward?

-Stang

Some Options:

Swift A-Frame: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/321659/swift-a-frame-bullets-54-caliber-sabot-with-45-caliber-265-grain-bonded-hollow-point-pack-of-10?cm_vc=subv321659

TC Mag Express: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/121790/thompson-center-mag-express-sabot-54-caliber-with-250-grain-hornady-xtp-bullet-pack-of-30?cm_vc=subv121790

Barnes Expander: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/960871/barnes-expander-muzzleloading-bullets-54-caliber-sabot-with-50-caliber-275-grain-hollow-point-flat-base-lead-free-box-of-24?cm_vc=subv960871

Hornady SST and add my own sabot?: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/146381/hornady-sst-ml-muzzleloading-bullets-no-sabot-45-caliber-452-diameter-250-grain-box-of-50?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Powerbelt Copper Plated: http://www.cabelas.com/product/PowerBelt8482-Copper-Plated-and-Pure-Lead-Hollow-Point-Bullets/740350.uts

Offline whacker1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
Re: .54 Bullet Selection for 150 Yard Elk: Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 10:30:11 AM »
I had really good luck with the Barnes Expander, but I think the rate of twist on your Hawken is slower than my inline, so I am not sure that your's will shoot them quite like mine.

I am shooting an older Remington 700 ML in .54, which I think is 1 in 26 or 1 in 28 twist.  I think your hawken is likely to be somethling like 1 in 48 twist.  i am calling this all from memory, so Highly probable that i missed the mark by a little

Offline oneshot12

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: WSMA ,NMLRA, NRA
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 12:54:02 PM »
here are a few that work in my 54

1. if you can find some - look for some Speer .452-250/300 grain bullets and regular 45-50 sabot... which by the way I have a bunch of...

2. Is look for a box of Speer .50x300 Deep Curls and get the 50-54 sabot - that would crunch the heck out of both deer and elk.. the 50 Speer might be excellent for a 54 because it is such a short bullet.  - I also have some of those sabots that I could send you for experimenting purposes.

you might give them a try 

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 01:11:28 PM »
Maxi-ball
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline Sabotloader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 01:25:46 PM »
So I'm doing a lot of elk hunting with my Cabelas Sporterized Hawken .54 this year.  I've placed a musket cap nipple on it, a Lyman hooded front sight and a lyman peep site on the tang.  I'm really hoping to be proficient for MOE (minute of elk) at 150 yards come October.

I am trying to figure out what bullet I should be using for this venture.  In the past I've only ever hunted deer at <100 yards and just used powerbelts.  In my longer range life, what should I use?  Are the copper solids from Barnes the best bet?  There are also some copper jacketed powerbelts on sale that seem like they may work.  Do I want a lighter bullet with a smaller diameter (like a .45 sabot) to keep BC down for longer shots?  Will that still work sufficiently for elk?

One final note... I had too much oil in my barrel the last time I used it and I had to pull my bullet.  That worked out fine because I was starting my sight in process with round balls and it was easy to screw my bullet puller into the ball.  If i were using copper solids... is this still possible?  Has anyone ever had that problem with bullets without removable breech plugs?  Should I be concerned about that moving forward?

-Stang

Some Options:

Swift A-Frame: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/321659/swift-a-frame-bullets-54-caliber-sabot-with-45-caliber-265-grain-bonded-hollow-point-pack-of-10?cm_vc=subv321659

TC Mag Express: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/121790/thompson-center-mag-express-sabot-54-caliber-with-250-grain-hornady-xtp-bullet-pack-of-30?cm_vc=subv121790

Barnes Expander: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/960871/barnes-expander-muzzleloading-bullets-54-caliber-sabot-with-50-caliber-275-grain-hollow-point-flat-base-lead-free-box-of-24?cm_vc=subv960871

Hornady SST and add my own sabot?: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/146381/hornady-sst-ml-muzzleloading-bullets-no-sabot-45-caliber-452-diameter-250-grain-box-of-50?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Powerbelt Copper Plated: http://www.cabelas.com/product/PowerBelt8482-Copper-Plated-and-Pure-Lead-Hollow-Point-Bullets/740350.uts

The big thing is "what is the twist rate of your bore" in that 54.  That will make a lot of difference in what you might be able to use.

Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 02:10:28 PM »
I believe it is a 1-48" twist.

Offline oneshot12

• Longhunter
  • Groups: WSMA ,NMLRA, NRA
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 02:23:39 PM »
 can let you know  that a 535 patched round ball with 90 grns of 3 f and #11  cci mag cap  in my  1in 66 twist  54 cal hawken   will knock an elk down at 152 yards  with no problem   the 1in 48 will shoot the round ball pretty darn good  friend of mine has a Lyman 54 cal  hawken 1in 48  he dont have any problem shooting the round ball that far and making a clean kill   that is if you worried about the ball doing the number on them critters  :twocents:

Offline Curly

• Legend
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 02:27:53 PM »
I think if powerbelts were working for you on deer, then that is where I'd start looking for an elk bullet.  Copper plated powerbelt should be pretty decent on elk.  Just need to see how the accuracy is and I'd guess you should be able to get decent accuracy.  :dunno:
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 02:39:38 PM »
I think the No Excuses 535 grain .54 bullet would be worth looking into. I haven't tried them myself, but they have a good reputation.

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 02:46:55 PM »
Anyone ever tried Parker bullets?

Offline whacker1

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 02:50:41 PM »
When I was shooting a side lock - hawken replica.  I used the Hornady Great plains and the Thompson Center Maxi Ball's and those work well, but kicked like a mule.

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 03:55:49 PM »
I believe it is a 1-48" twist.

With a 1/48 twist bullet length is going to be important.  The 1/48 is a compromise twist rate to allow shooting of round balls and lead conicals - normally the shorter the conical the better.  If you going after elk with a Power Belt you might want to look on the heavy side of the scale.  A power Belt into an elk can sometimes blow the lighter PB's into small pieces.

The Power Belts with the copper coating - it is a very thing copper plating on the bullet is is really not like the normal copper lead bullet.

Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline Soady

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2015, 11:51:01 PM »
Stang,

You are on the right path by choosing your pick with the Hornady .250 grn at .452 IMO. My preference in this choice is it has the better ballistic coefficient of any of your suggestions, it is indeed a short frame bullet, .250 grains will be fine for deer and elk, bonded lead core, controlled expansion, long range performance. :dunno: those numbers tick the mark in my book, for starters. Match the bullets with a quality sabot, a reasonable powder charge that you can comfortably shoot and hit with and you will do fine.

I shoot the 300 grn. Hornady .452 XTP backed with 85 grns FFF T7 and musket cap primer in a Knight Bighorn confidently out to 100 yards but have been thinking of dropping to the 250 SST to increase range potential. Yet the dark side of me says in the wet side brush does the range potential difference out weight the knock down power of a heavier bullet in dense steep brush?  Your choice depending on where you hunt will determine that. As for a bullet extraction with a standard ball screw extractor up against a copper bullet IDK never had that problem, usually just remove the breach plug or shoot a critter which ever comes first depending on circumstances. Your mileage may vary if you choose solid copper bullets though!

Too much oil or over season oiling just pop three caps on an empty barrel to blast out any remaining oil residue, dry swab, charge, load patch-sabot bullet combination, fire, ENJOY!
Whatever........

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 07:42:28 AM »
Thanks for the info.

Does anyone see anything wrong with using a .45-.54 sabot and then enjoying the full range of jacketed bullets.  Parker Productions makes some pretty cool bullets that go by this philosophy... same with Hornady as Soady mentioned.  I'm thinking of going more that route.  I'd really like to get out and touch something at 150 and I'm thinking a 250 or 300 grain .45 cal jacketed bullet with ~100 grains of powder might be the ticket.

http://parker-productions-llc.myshopify.com/pages/shooting-products

or

http://www.hornady.com/store/45-Cal-.452-300-gr-SST-ML/

with Cheap .45-.54 sabots:
https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/5482

My last question for the masses, is that I've always used Pyrodex FFG equivalent, but am thinking of going to FFFG.  Since I'm using a sidelock, I think it might help improve ignition.  Do I have to worry about going up to 100 grains in FFFG?  I'm not worried about my shoulder.  I do currently have inconsistent/unreliable ignition with the FFG and thats even with musket caps. 

Offline TheHunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2015, 08:11:49 AM »
I had really good luck with the Barnes Expander, but I think the rate of twist on your Hawken is slower than my inline, so I am not sure that your's will shoot them quite like mine.

I am shooting an older Remington 700 ML in .54, which I think is 1 in 26 or 1 in 28 twist.  I think your hawken is likely to be somethling like 1 in 48 twist.  i am calling this all from memory, so Highly probable that i missed the mark by a little

I have the same Remington 700 ML in .54.  I have used the powerbelts that work well.  I will look into these other bullets.
275 down 2

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal