collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Never hunted elk! Help please  (Read 6378 times)

Offline Muleyman27

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: Never hunted elk! Help please
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2015, 08:18:05 PM »
Honestly, without having time to scout due to work. And due to the fact that you will be after post rut elk, after they have been pressured by two prior general seasons, and countless special permits, my best advice would be to study this forum. You can't compare the knowledge in one 'new guy' thread, to  a hundered past threads.  Use the search function to pull up old threads on the unit/ units you will hunt. Learn how weather and hunting pressure effect elk behavior. Learn the mirgriation route to the refuge. Learn the thermals of your area throughout the day. Pay attention to other hunters and use them to your advantage to push elk your way. Don't hunt alone. Elk are hard work to pack and modern hunters have been known to "steal" others hunters game. Learn the escape routes, feeding and beding areas. Elk need water and food. Know where the old burns are in your unit and the ones to the west. Study maps, google earth, know where fs roads and private property are. Know if there are active burns, and how they effect behavior and cover scent.  If we have a mild winter be prepared to go higher in elevation including changeing units to locate elk. Dont let the rain stop you from hunting. It makes the woods quiet. Know when to find shelter if a  lightening or snow storm catch you off gaurd.  KNOW the rez boundaries. Most of all, have fun and hunt hard. You will never have a chance to have a 'do over' for a missed season. Good luck.

yes I have deffinetly been checking past posts on the cowiche unit writing down road names, patterns the elk take when snow or mild weather hits where they might go ect. lots of info to take in!! and there are deffinetly a lot of posts on watching out for other hunters!! unfortuanetly I don't have a hunting partner. I usually hunt with my dad but not this time. I am planning on going on a scouting trip within a couple weeks to try and find somewhere I can hunt and what to expect. I plan on going by the local wdfw office to ask some questions on which areas are closed or open. online it said they had a map there I could get too.

Offline White Pass Outfitters

• High mtn hunter
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Scout
    • Kent Dinelt
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 09:04:50 AM »
Give me a call I enjoy helping out new Elk hunters
White Pass Outfitters
KD
KD

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2015, 02:07:27 PM »
Think of it like this.  You have to put in years of time understanding elk before you'll be in a position to expect to harvest one.  That is unless you have no job and plenty of gas money!

I think you left out this scenario!!  Never hunted them before drives into the woods get's out slams truck door. Wanders off couple of 100 yards , plunks down on a log 30 minutes later has a elk on the lawn. Now the question is "What do I do with this"   :chuckle:

Then they will say there is nothing to Elk hunting.

Hey That's The Pat McManus Time Tested Way to get Elk   Don't Let that get out  :chuckle:

Even though it works, I took the point at "What do I do with this"   
I have met a lot of elk hunters, first timers and several year veterans.
Idiots that followed the advice of veterans and walked miles in behind a gate, went where nobody else wanted to go, and killed an animal...

And really had no idea what to do next.
Sure, they had watched the Youtube videos, read all the advice, even been carrying a 50# backpack all summer to get in shape...
A dead elk that is laying on its stomach in a small depression, because that is how it died, is an astronomical task for a first timer.
Someone really should be there to film it when reality sets in...
All those daydreams are turned into a circus act of desperation...
When I usually am dumb enough to quit laughing and offer to help.
Killing an elk is not the hard part..  :twocents:
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 02:22:04 PM »
No book or video will give you all what you need to learn. It takes time in the woods, and even then you will never have them figured out!! 

Failure is part of the learning curve. 

I would also say a elk on thd ground is nothing like a deer when you are alone. 

Best of luck..
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline nastybynature

• Hunter
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 03:39:24 PM »
Think of it like this.  You have to put in years of time understanding elk before you'll be in a position to expect to harvest one.  That is unless you have no job and plenty of gas money!

I think you left out this scenario!!  Never hunted them before drives into the woods get's out slams truck door. Wanders off couple of 100 yards , plunks down on a log 30 minutes later has a elk on the lawn. Now the question is "What do I do with this"   :chuckle:

Then they will say there is nothing to Elk hunting.

Hey That's The Pat McManus Time Tested Way to get Elk   Don't Let that get out  :chuckle:

Even though it works, I took the point at "What do I do with this"   
I have met a lot of elk hunters, first timers and several year veterans.
Idiots that followed the advice of veterans and walked miles in behind a gate, went where nobody else wanted to go, and killed an animal...

And really had no idea what to do next.
Sure, they had watched the Youtube videos, read all the advice, even been carrying a 50# backpack all summer to get in shape...
A dead elk that is laying on its stomach in a small depression, because that is how it died, is an astronomical task for a first timer.
Someone really should be there to film it when reality sets in...
All those daydreams are turned into a circus act of desperation...
When I usually am dumb enough to quit laughing and offer to help.
Killing an elk is not the hard part..  :twocents:

This is the part that actually scares the heck out of me. My 9 year old and me having to deal with the harvesting alone.

I watched lots of youtube videos about quartering and getting the back strap and tenderloins and have butchered my share of fish, rabbits, chickens from being on grandpa's farm when i was a kid. But that is not a half ton elk....  :yike:

I know I am going to have to leave the proof of sex and also bring out the antlers/head/skullcap. I have plans on getting an outdoor edge pro razor knife and a Mora carbon blade. I always carry my kershaw blur as well. Have heard mixed stories about needing a saw or not and the conclusion i came to was only need a saw for the skull cap. Any help advice here is appreciated!!
"On every question of construction, carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text, or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed."
--Thomas Jefferson to William Johnson, 1823

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2015, 03:45:31 PM »
It took me 10 years to get my elk. That's even when you could shoot any bull, any place.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]