collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Sidearm for Black Bear.  (Read 80464 times)

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: Sidearm for Black Bear.
« Reply #210 on: July 30, 2015, 05:44:21 PM »
.41 mag is a great round  :tup:

Fan of those myself. 

Offline jkthomps

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #211 on: July 30, 2015, 10:18:21 PM »
Okay, I have a question which might sound foolish, but I am curious. I was talking to a neighboring camper today and we were discussing this thread/post and he told me he takes a taser for black bear. I called BS after listening  to him and he went to his camp on got his taser out to show me. I still think he was pulling my leg but I started to think about it and wondered if a taser would work. Could one even get through the fur to make contact to cause a shock or would this just piss a bear off?  Anyone else hear of this? I told him I hope he can run fast if he ever had to use it on a bear... I am almost sure he was bsing me, but wth do I know lol

Online Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #212 on: July 30, 2015, 10:24:00 PM »
Okay, I have a question which might sound foolish, but I am curious. I was talking to a neighboring camper today and we were discussing this thread/post and he told me he takes a taser for black bear. I called BS after listening  to him and he went to his camp on got his taser out to show me. I still think he was pulling my leg but I started to think about it and wondered if a taser would work. Could one even get through the fur to make contact to cause a shock or would this just piss a bear off?  Anyone else hear of this? I told him I hope he can run fast if he ever had to use it on a bear... I am almost sure he was bsing me, but wth do I know lol
Bear spray is a far better option.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #213 on: July 30, 2015, 10:37:56 PM »
The taser with barbs that shoot out on wires could disable a bear provided the barbs don't get hung up on brush and penetrate the fur good enough to hit a muscle group and you get enough of a spread to disable a large muscle group and after the taser shuts off per regulation and the bear is still there and very scared and very upset then what?

The taser is not reliable, not even against humans let alone in the brush shooting a bear
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 10:44:49 PM by KFhunter »

Offline jkthomps

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #214 on: July 30, 2015, 10:45:04 PM »
The taser with barbs that shoot out on wires could disable a bear provided the barbs don't get hung up on brush and penetrate the fur good enough to hit a muscle group and you get enough of a spread to disable a large muscle group and after the taser shuts off per regulation and the bear is still there and very scared and very upset then what?

Nice find! Good information and agreed, good read.

Offline Turner89

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #215 on: July 30, 2015, 10:48:50 PM »
Bear spray is a far better option.
:yeah: im more worried about a cat though. All the time i've spent in the woods I only had 1 close call. A bear rushed me so fast that I had fell on my back expecting to get mauled. He was within arms reach when he ran back to his fawn. I had no weapon, and if I had, it wouldnt have mattered unless I already had it drawn prior........ maybe.
 I bought bear spray, and wore that for awhile. Eventually I went back to my careless ways, and only pack a gun when hunting. I just like to go as lite as possible in the woods.
" if your a 20 year old and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. If your a 40 year old and not a conservative,  you don't have a brain"

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #216 on: July 30, 2015, 10:49:37 PM »
BOTH barbs have to penetrate the bear, if one's stuck in a branch and the other in the bear nothing happens. 

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #217 on: July 31, 2015, 08:20:17 AM »
For those, like me, who often don't bother with links like the one I posted earlier, here is some of the data from 109 years of black bear fatalities on record.  92% of the bears that killed people were male.  Sows with cubs commonly threaten but seldom carry through the attack.  They want people to back off.  By far the most attacks on humans came in more remote areas with low human resident population, with most in Canada and Alaska.   The bear's condition, starving or fat, didn't seem to have correlation to attacks. 

Dr. Herrero said that the data was surprising, I think especially regarding kills by sows with cubs.  Few people have seen the sneaky predatory behavior of a black bear toward a human because it is very rare, though the most dangerous.

I've had a number of sows with cubs threaten me, etc. but only two silent stalkers.  One of them I killed, a youngish boar which fits the pattern.  The other shadowed me silently and furtively for several hundred yards as I walked back to my pick-up, getting closer to me all of the time. I got a few glimpses of it only because once I saw it I was wary of it and looking intently for it.  I didn't have a firearm yet to this day feel like that bear should have been killed.

Here is a more direct link to Dr. Herrero's 8 minute video.  The first 3 minutes has the most concentrated info on black bear attacks.  Predatory bears are the most dangerous. 

« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 09:22:12 AM by Okanagan »

Online Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #218 on: July 31, 2015, 08:26:06 AM »
BOTH barbs have to penetrate the bear, if one's stuck in a branch and the other in the bear nothing happens

I wouldn't say that.  At that range and with that increased pain/confusion - SOMETHING is going to happen  :chuckle:
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline magnumb

• Scout
« Reply #219 on: August 01, 2015, 06:05:34 PM »
BOTH barbs have to penetrate the bear, if one's stuck in a branch and the other in the bear nothing happens

I wouldn't say that.  At that range and with that increased pain/confusion - SOMETHING is going to happen  :chuckle:

:yeah:...........and as has been mentioned, even on humans, they are far less than 100% effective in totally controling the situation.  If a bear reacts quickly enough and bites at their wound as many do or rubs/rolls around quickly enough, he/she will dislodge what barbs might have gotten through it's thick fur.

Nooooooooooooooo.......there's a reason 'shock' wasn't asked to join in on the '3 S's'...... ;).  If it had, it would be 'Shock, S#@* and Sprint (as best one can with a pantload).

Use a 'big enough gun', as they say, and leave the trial and error of killing (or even deterring, in this case) something via electrocution to the States where most can't even put down a much more fragile human effectively nor humanely.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 07:56:00 AM by magnumb »

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #220 on: August 01, 2015, 06:17:32 PM »
I wouldn't want to wager my @ss on the barbs being able to punch through all that hair consistently enough to be a viable reliable option
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Offline NSAECHIN

• Tracker
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #221 on: August 04, 2015, 06:46:57 AM »
My sidearm is a Glock 20 10mm. 15+1 rounds loaded with DoubleTap 230gr hard cast ammunition. 

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #222 on: August 04, 2015, 07:22:24 AM »
My sidearm is a Glock 20 10mm. 15+1 rounds loaded with DoubleTap 230gr hard cast ammunition.

How many of those rounds have you put through that gun?  Any feed issues?
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline NSAECHIN

• Tracker
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #223 on: August 04, 2015, 02:03:44 PM »

How many of those rounds have you put through that gun?  Any feed issues?

25 rounds. no feed issues

Offline splitshot

• Sourdough
« Reply #224 on: August 04, 2015, 05:40:24 PM »
so my sps 101 .357 is not legal for bear cuz it has a short bbl?    if so anyone have a legal bear pistol for sale?   I do have a vaquero but it weighs 47 oz.   mike w

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal