collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Another "hunting club"  (Read 12477 times)

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Another "hunting club"
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 10:47:03 AM »
I looked at the website.  $75 for a morning hunt & $65 for an afternoon hunt.  Basically a guide service without a guide.  Almost like doing the reservation QH but now you have to pay for them.  A crappy deal in the making right here.  Teaching all the land owners that they should be paid to allow someone on there field.

I have no problem with someone charging for use of their property - or any other asset.  Or, they can give it away for free.  They own it and pay tax on it every year so they get to do whatever they want.

If someone wants to hunt on private for "free" every year, they can go out and buy a chunk.

Offline johnsc6

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 05:14:52 PM »
You Fellas are clearly missing the (my) point. I also believe nobody has a"right" to anything, including others property, if land owners want to charge so be it. And yes I know some clubs put thousands of dollars into feed and habitat to improve hunting. These folks don't own any land, in fact the founder is from out of state and clearly stated that he had not even hunted since he moved here, leading me to believe hunting or the improvement of hunting is not what he is interested in. (ie money, control). As a landowner myself, and friend of several others I can tell you individuals that try to lock up the resource for themselves or thier "members" that drive the Demand, no the landowners (supply). I can afford to join a club if i wish, however the vast majority of the future of our sport cannot, our youth, after a few years in the blind I just wish the kids now could be afforded the same opportunities we all had.  Old fashioned and wishful thinking I guess. We don't have to agree as long as we stay on the same team.  :twocents:

Offline AWS

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2015, 10:56:14 AM »
There is so much public lands available in this state that can be accessed with a little effort that the loss of a few private areas that weren't available to everyone anyway wouldn't bother me.  I can hunt most of the season and see few other hunters.

Going out and starting a business is what this country is about.

And as with any other hunt club it opens a lot of private land to hunters that they wouldn't have access to anyway.  It may be cheaper for them to pay to hunt than drive around all the time knocking on doors to find just one place.  For a younger or less experienced hunter that is putting in 50-60 hours a week working and another 10 or more hours a week commuting having a place to hunt just a phone call away can sound pretty appealing.
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline JJD

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, DU
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 08:18:07 AM »
One or two properties does not a hunting club (or guide service) make.
I have been hunting water fowl for a lot of years.  Experience has taught me that geese land where they want and if you are not set up exactly there, you are most often wasting your time.  You pound'em couple of times in a spot at the start of the season and you likely wont see them there for a month or more.  Maybe in other parts of the state, feed is more limited and they are more concentrated due to fewer feeding opportunities.

To rent/lease a spot on a specific piece of property months in advance, sounds like a scam to me.  Unless they have multiple properties lined up, and offer at least a reasonable chance of success, how can you in good concious expect someone to pay for the opportunity to lay in the dirt?

Renting in advance, a property for a day that the geese are not landing in, uh, no thanks.

Ducks are a different deal, get into a decent area on water and you have a decent chance on any given day.  If the migration is on (hope we have a real one again someday) your chances increase greatly.

Spent most of my $$ on huntin, fishin & retrievin dogs, the rest I just pretty much wasted.

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 08:59:19 AM »
The spots this guy has listed may be more of snow goose areas and those are hit and miss.  Just because this guy locks of these lands doesn't mean they are good.  We would hunt them when the birds were there, if there.  Guys paying may be disappointed in some of these locations.  He may also be getting some of the old QH fields which weren't that good.  The improvement would be if they allowed them to set up where ever. VS a blind that stuck out that was hunted daily with minimal results.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline James

• Scout
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 09:06:55 AM »
I know Jonathan Kitchens pretty well; he is a stand up gentlemen. I can assure you he is a hunter and gun enthusiast to the core, much like most people on here.

I don’t really waterfowl hunt anymore and have never been into the hunting club thing, so I will probably not partake, but I can’t conceive of a day that he would try to screw people.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 12:38:04 PM by James »
You will never shoot a camp bull by spending all your time hunting in the woods.

Offline Tealer

• Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2015, 08:14:10 PM »

Hunt clubs across the nation improve hunting if they are managed will.  The spill over to adjoining public land, often not managed will, helps public hunting.  The price of hunting on public land, your tags, fees, licenses, application fees, cards and parking fees is what puts the sport out of reach for most.  The private guy bends over backwards to help his hunters, the states find new ways to make it more difficult for the hunter and the landowner.
HUH? these guys aren't doing anything to improve habitat, there making money off hunters that are to lazy to ask permission themselves. Buying a hunting slot from them doesn't change price of a small game license and duck stamp.

None of that is true. I help run a club that feeds 10k plus ducks. We shoot 500?  The rest got free meals. Many of the public hunt areas near by shoot very well due to the feed we plant. After rent on the fields the price to have it farmed the blind maint and decoys we lost a touch. With out clubs a lot of guys wouldn't have birds to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline johnsc6

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2015, 08:56:43 PM »

Hunt clubs across the nation improve hunting if they are managed will.  The spill over to adjoining public land, often not managed will, helps public hunting.  The price of hunting on public land, your tags, fees, licenses, application fees, cards and parking fees is what puts the sport out of reach for most.  The private guy bends over backwards to help his hunters, the states find new ways to make it more difficult for the hunter and the landowner.
HUH? these guys aren't doing anything to improve habitat, there making money off hunters that are to lazy to ask permission themselves. Buying a hunting slot from them doesn't change price of a small game license and duck stamp.

None of that is true. I help run a club that feeds 10k plus ducks. We shoot 500?  The rest got free meals. Many of the public hunt areas near by shoot very well due to the feed we plant. After rent on the fields the price to have it farmed the blind maint and decoys we lost a touch. With out clubs a lot of guys wouldn't have birds to shoot.

Quite a bit of it is true my friend .....Misunderstanding might be I am not refering all hunting clubs,many give back much more to the birds and sport than they take.Cudos. This one in particular is NOT imporving habitat, just locking up land for profit just rubs me wrong. Everyone has thier opinions,

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2015, 08:49:16 AM »

This specific club that is being thrown together isn't enhancing the local area.  Just secured land that he is charging an access fee to.

Tealer, your club and his are not the same.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline NW-GSP

• Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2015, 01:04:27 PM »

This specific club that is being thrown together isn't enhancing the local area.  Just secured land that he is charging an access fee to.

Tealer, your club and his are not the same.

I agree, paying just for land access vs a hunting club that maintains and rests Fields.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal