collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: do you let the deer hang out after gutting and before skinning?  (Read 15985 times)

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
Re: do you let the deer hang out after gutting and before skinning?
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2015, 09:35:22 AM »
Do you know if some game processors will hang your meat for you? Until your ready to travel home if fr outta town or trying to fill another tag
Several years ago I killed a buck and took it to a butcher in Baker City Oregon to be cut and wrapped. A few days later I showed up to get it since my brother had since tagged one and they still hadn't gotten to it. I paid for storage and took it home and cut it up myself. They didn't mention storage as an option when we first stopped in but when they hadn't started on it a few days later they just charged a fee for storage.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Online birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2015, 10:18:21 AM »
What I'm surprised at is watching the Moose hunt on North Wood law. All the moose at the check station were whole with the hide on. Moose have to be harder to cool then elk and how did they get them out of the woods whole?

Of course if your in the woods in PA during deer season all the deer hanging have the hide on.

From Maine, family has drawn 3 over the years, father, grandfather, and mother. Nice they allow a "2nd" hunter..... early on that was how they "wanted" them brought to check stations... used to be refer trucks there, would take you game and deliver for a fee too.. come a long way was 1000 tags then now almost 4000 per year drawn.. and they can bring whole, quartered, hide off to check stations too...
http://www.maine.gov/ifw/hunting_trapping/registration_tagging/index.htm#taggingrequirements
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline jason stevens

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2015, 06:43:26 PM »
Gut it, skin it , put it in the cooler, home,butcher it, freeze it, all as soon as possable.we stopped hanging a long time ago. Personally I think its bettet but just my opinion.

Offline Hunta270

• Pilgrim
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2015, 12:02:05 AM »
I'm in Australia where the average temp is way higher than WA and unless we want a skin or cape for a mount we almost always hang with skin on. My mate hangs legs with skin in in his cool room for up to 12 WEEKS!!! No issues with taste or anything. These aren't whitetail or elk these are reds, fallow, Rusa, chital, hog and sambar deer... Not that I think I makes a difference... As for getting a ticket for wastage for not skinning??!! What a load of *censored*!! I would call all the dried out meat because of skinning wastage!!! The skin protects it from bacteria and from drying out. If you get it cold quickly the skin will have zero negative effects.

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2015, 07:50:51 AM »
 :yeah:gUT ASP,wipe,clean and dry cavity. Leave hide on and hang in 38 degree cold storage for 2-3 weeks to age. The only way to make an old deer taste it's best imo
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline cryder

• relic01
  • Longhunter
  • elk down
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2015, 10:05:55 AM »
Place up close to my cabin charges 6 dollars a day storage if you let them process it its 4 dollars a day , ill tell you one thing for sure this place is only two miles from the kill zone I like to call it , and what ever I get will be in there cooler with in the hour for 5 days and they will process it , total cost , 65 bucks !! Ill do that any time.OH YA ! ,if I get one of the six bears up there ill take it to the shop , hang it for 5 days and put a add on here for bear meat you pay the costs I don't want bear meat, but I will be making my own hide. Stat tuned !
loction location location ! perzackly !

Offline Brazz

• Pilgrim
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2015, 06:34:20 PM »
Gut it where it died, leave the hide on while getting to your truck and camp. Hang it, then skin it. After skinning it, I use two game bags to cover the exposed meat. I then use a tarp to loosely go around the hanging deer to keep any direct sun off the animal, but allow air flow to cool it down even faster. I've hung deer in camp for 9-10 days with no problems if it is cool enough. It is vital to care for your harvest correctly because if you don't when you go to eat it and it taste like crap you've wasted a lot of effort. One photo of deer hanging is just before I skinned it.

Offline Hunta270

• Pilgrim
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2015, 09:24:58 PM »
Gut it where it died, leave the hide on while getting to your truck and camp. Hang it, then skin it. After skinning it, I use two game bags to cover the exposed meat. I then use a tarp to loosely go around the hanging deer to keep any direct sun off the animal, but allow air flow to cool it down even faster. I've hung deer in camp for 9-10 days with no problems if it is cool enough. It is vital to care for your harvest correctly because if you don't when you go to eat it and it taste like crap you've wasted a lot of effort. One photo of deer hanging is just before I skinned it.

So essentially you skin the deer only to put another "skin" back on it??!! What's the point? It can cool down fine with skin on.. In what way does skin affect taste? Genuine question...

Offline dewandgin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2015, 09:38:30 PM »
I grew up hunting in Wyoming and never skinned a animal til we were ready to process it. Usually 5 to 14 days. Moved to Washington wetside and almost lost my first elk because it wouldn't cool quick enough with hide on. Since then I always skin as soon as it is convenient. Really the only difference in taste has been whether the animal was stressed or not.

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2015, 10:33:58 PM »
1.  Ever notice any of that premium dry aged beef hanging with the hide on?    Me neither.
2.  Ever notice it hanging in some uncontrolled area with uncontrolled temperatures?  Me neither.

I say cool it off ASAP (that means getting the hide off ASAP*), control temperature ASAP.  Forget about "aging" game meat.  But that's just me.

I cringe when I see elk hanging in elk camp with all of the flies laying eggs in the heat.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline fish vacuum

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2015, 02:16:26 AM »
Can an animal be "aged" by hanging? Yes
Can an animal be ruined by hanging if the conditions aren't right? Yes.
Skin and process ASAP.

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2015, 05:06:41 AM »

Nice buck Brazz.  Have a story or any other pics of it?

Offline police women of America

• Women's Board
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2015, 04:47:13 PM »
Thanks guys. This is some Great info  :tup:
And nice buck Brazz!
Hi, my name is Josie

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2015, 11:16:32 PM »
Yep Gut, get home to hang and skin asap, or if camping back to camp to hang and skin.
to skin your hand ouch :tung: :chuckle:
fixed it sorry to hang and skin
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 09:52:50 PM by csaaphill »
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline Brazz

• Pilgrim
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2015, 09:34:18 AM »
Thanks for the comments on the Bucks. The one with the two of use putting the drag on is actually a different deer than the first picture. It was my brothers first deer kill. Long story, The Brazz clan is known for being long winded. My brothers second year hunting, first year he missed a monster on the run. I've been hunting in the same location for 27 years so I take him to an old wooden tree stand, (more of a tree fort than tree stand) he can sit and watch the area. He can sit all day, as long as he has a couple diet cokes and some snacks. While he's sitting up there the plan was for me and my wife to skirt around the area then make are way back to him in about 4 hours. I start out maybe a 1/4 mile from him and 20 minutes after leaving him we hear a shot. So we keep to the plan, but circle back early (1 hour) to get in position to view the tree stand he was in. We see it but he's not in it, but I do see threw my binocs that there is a diet coke can sitting on the platform. We finally find him an hour or so later standing by his deer. I exclaim...OH MY God!, he says what's wrong? I tell him, I don't think you understand how big that WT is, it's the biggest bodied WT I'd  ever seen. We get it back to camp and a friend had shot a 4x4 Mule deer and it was already hanging. This WT body was bigger than the  Mule Deer. My brother said that he first saw a doe running by about 100 yards away. Following it was this buck about 30 yards behind. The doe never stopped, but the buck sensed something odd, stopped for about 2 seconds looked in his direction and he put the shot on target. He believed that when he saw the doe, he put his diet coke down on the platform...he says that's what the buck saw out of place? This buck was shot clean threw the heart, shredding it, but it still ran 150 yards until falling over. One last picture of his first deer.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 06:56:45 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]