collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Blacktail raffle winner!!Where would YOU go?  (Read 38327 times)

Offline crowinghen

• Women's Board
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
Re: Blacktail raffle winner!!Where would YOU go?
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2015, 09:27:22 PM »
Well , after spending every spare moment we had in Kapowsin scouting for the last few months Hancock has just closed their lands . Disappointing to say the least .

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2015, 09:30:07 PM »
Closed for what??

Offline crowinghen

• Women's Board
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2015, 09:33:00 PM »
Due to the heavy rains.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2015, 11:14:14 PM »
Sorry to hear for you, sounds like more timber co. BS.   :dunno:

Offline Crunchy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2015, 11:28:36 PM »
Ive never heard that one before.  Fire yes, heavy rain, never?  I checked their website and you are correct.  Odd one.  Doesn't seem like its rained much more than it usually does this time of year.

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #80 on: October 31, 2015, 11:36:42 PM »
If you're looking for a big Blacktail, Naselle is the place to hunt.  Everybody goes there for elk, but there are some truly large Blacktails in the area. It's kind of a local secret. The Bear River, Williams Creek, and Willapa Hills units are all good ones. The only problem these days is access. There are still a few open to public areas, but more and more it's pay to hunt.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2015, 05:09:35 AM »
The deer numbers are way low in all the those areas above. Just trolling?  Goose chase?  She has the raffle tag why jab her Sitka?

I'd go to klickitat anyways.  Hancock isn't very hepful.

Offline pope

• Longhunter
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2015, 06:21:24 AM »
Due to heavy rains? I can think of another explanation. No friggin way I'm buying that pass next year.

Offline kodiak 907

• Sourdough
  • Groups: U.S. Navy/Combat Recon, NRA, DU
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2015, 09:41:42 AM »
I'd be in the klick. Every day looking for a monster.
Spider 2 Y banana

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2015, 11:35:05 AM »
The deer numbers are way low in all the those areas above. Just trolling?  Goose chase?  She has the raffle tag why jab her Sitka?

I'd go to klickitat anyways.  Hancock isn't very hepful.

As Tom Petty sang....... "You believe what you want to believe." 

The Willapa Hills are home to some very nice bucks. Still.

Now, you want to do some comparisons?

Using the Washington game department 2014 harvest reports, I'm going to figure the success rate for 4 and 5 point bucks per hunter in the modern firearm season, since she is after a trophy.

The Kapowsin Tree Farm is in the Mashel Unit (654) and seems to get a lot of votes for a big buck hunt. So we'll use that for the control hunt.

Unit name and number ----- 4 pt bucks ----- 5 pt+ bucks ----- Hunters ----- Hunter success rate on 4 and 5+ pt bucks

Mashel 654 ------------------- 26 ------------------ 4 ------------- 1,181 --------------------  2.5%
Willapa Hills 506 ------------- 15 ------------------ 6 -------------  940  ---------------------  2.2%
Bear River 681 ---------------  7  ------------------ 6 -------------  182  ---------------------  7.1%
Williams Cr. 673 -------------  7  ------------------ 1 -------------  555  ---------------------  1.4%
North River  658 ------------- 10 ------------------ 4 -------------  425  ---------------------  3.3%
W Klickitat  578 -------------  71 ----------------- 26 ------------ 1,524 ---------------------  6.4%
Lincoln 501 ------------------ 18 ------------------ 10 ------------  999  ---------------------  2.8%
Skookumchuck 667 --------  24 ------------------ 11 ------------ 1,543 --------------------  2.2%
Deschutes 666 -------------- 11 ------------------ 10 ------------  589  ---------------------  3.6%
Copalis 642 ------------------  7  ------------------  3  ------------ 248 ----------------------  4.0%

Now as far as sheer deer numbers go W Klickitat is king and Mashel and Skookumchuck look pretty good. But when you get down to hunter success rate on big bucks, Only W Klickitat stands out. And that is a 3 pt or better unit with a few benchlegs I'd guess. The king of hunter success on big bucks is little old Bear River at almost 3 times the success rate as Mashel. And as for Williams creek, it is showing the lowest success rate on big old bucks, but the overall success rate is 26.7% with a lot of young bucks as it has been heavily logged the last few years. As those young bucks get older, some brutes will be coming out of there, I have no doubt. For comparison, the overall success rate in Mashel is 14% and W Klickitat is 13.7% And Willapa Hills over all success rate is 24.5%. Willapa Hills and Williams Creek should be getting better as the new logging improves habitat.

Bear River besides being the best % chance for a trophy buck also sports a pretty good 22.5% overall success rate.

As for Copalis, I'm gonna guess some of those big ol' Ocean Shores bucks helps the big buck rate there.  :rolleyes:

A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2015, 08:45:35 PM »
Great breakdown Sitka :tup: but I think I understand what DIY is implying. Here's my experience.... I haven't hunted the mashel at all. But sounds like the tag holder has it well scouted. I have spent extensive time in the skook, west klick and  most of the coastal units mentioned. The biggest buck I have ever seen I would call a "true" blacktail was in skook in Vail. And several bucks that would be book class. The next whopper, was in willipa hills. Another absolute pig of a deer, during rifle elk.season.  But overall I see far fewer deer on the coastal units. So even tho there are some stunners there I think the "fun" factor may be less because it's less likely to be sifting through alot of bucks waiting for a stunner. Also IMO the numbers are going to be somewhat skewed due to genetic makeup, I have seen a lot of four and five ( likely mainframe 4 with guards) point bucks in west klick that were not what I would consider a shooter on this tag and to a lesser extent in skookumchuck. But a 5 (4 point mainframe)point buck in a coastal unit is often a stunner. Granted a lot of my personal observation have been during archery elk seasons on the coast so not sure what impact that may have.

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2015, 10:07:36 PM »
As for genetics, how can you beat Lincoln? Home of Lester Miller's world record typical Columbian Blacktail. I have to say, I have seen more truly large bucks in that unit than any other I have hunted.  All of them were in the late blackpowder season and I never managed to connect on one, but they are there. I suspect most of them stay pretty well hidden until that late season. I think they are still looking for stray does and that brings them out. Could have gotten a couple of them with modern equipment.

Second most large bucks I've seen is in Willapa Hills. I blew a chance at a beautiful wide heavy racked 3x3 with eye guards, and the rest were in elk season. Same with Quinault Ridge. Most would never hunt deer there by choice except a few locals because there aren't a lot of deer there, but if you see a buck, chances are he's massive. We used to see mashers every year when we were elk hunting.

Offline Turner89

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2015, 08:56:39 PM »
Do you have any updates for us? :)
" if your a 20 year old and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. If your a 40 year old and not a conservative,  you don't have a brain"

Offline JBar

• The Family "Guide"
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #88 on: November 04, 2015, 09:03:28 AM »
Well , after spending every spare moment we had in Kapowsin scouting for the last few months Hancock has just closed their lands . Disappointing to say the least .

It's back open, get out there and tag a big one!
Shut up and Hunt!

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2015, 09:08:18 AM »

It's back open, get out there and tag a big one!

She posted in another thread yesterday that they did hunt there and saw 24 does and zero bucks.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]