collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What tumbler and media do you use?  (Read 8544 times)

Offline 257wbymagkiller

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Longhunter
Re: What tumbler and media do you use?
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2015, 08:14:40 PM »
Thats a good idea to. Cabelas has the STW tumbler?

Offline 1J04

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2015, 02:16:36 PM »
Thumlers Tumbler/Stainless Steel Media.  Buy once and cry once.  You will have no regrets.

Offline yorketransport

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2015, 08:25:42 PM »
A friend of mine made his own tumbler for the stainless media out of a 1 gallon plastic bottle and a rock tumbler. He throws everything into the bottle, adds the media and water, then leaves it on the rock tumbler. It's one of the tumbler that rolls the container, not the vibrating kind. It cost him about $20 at a garage sale.

I just use a mix of corn cob and walnut in my Lyman tumbler. The brass doesn't need to be super shiny, just clean enough that it isn't going to damage my dies when I'm loading it.

Andrew

Offline 257wbymagkiller

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2015, 08:32:55 PM »
Thats not a bad idea there hahaha :yeah:

Offline 2labs

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2015, 08:38:31 PM »
I don't reload large quantitys so I chuck up my lee shell holder in my cordless and some 000 steel wool and in about 10 seconds have nice looking shiny brass.
Also cleans primer pockets pretty well.
Dino was robbed
Habitual Rock Poacher
Do these "attack" pants make my ass look big?

Offline TVHunts

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+56)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA-RSO,RMEF,DU, Marysville Rifle Club
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2015, 07:26:29 PM »
I've only got a Lyman Turbo and walnut media but it works great with a few tricks (mineral spirits and NuFinish). I do admit though I am jealous of the SS cleaning the primer pockets for you.

3x fired brass after after being tumbled for 2 hours:

That brass looks nice.  How much mineral spirits and unfinished do you use?

I have been using a combo of corn cob and Zilla fine crushed walnut shells.  You can get 5 qts of the Zilla at Petco for around 8.00. After an overnight tumble it looks real nice but,  I have never used anything that will clean the primer pockets like I have seen SS do. 
MAGA

Hey Slobbering JOE,

STOP the freaking INVASION

Offline HawkCreek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2015, 09:44:39 PM »
I've only got a Lyman Turbo and walnut media but it works great with a few tricks (mineral spirits and NuFinish). I do admit though I am jealous of the SS cleaning the primer pockets for you.

3x fired brass after after being tumbled for 2 hours:

That brass looks nice.  How much mineral spirits and unfinished do you use?

I have been using a combo of corn cob and Zilla fine crushed walnut shells.  You can get 5 qts of the Zilla at Petco for around 8.00. After an overnight tumble it looks real nice but,  I have never used anything that will clean the primer pockets like I have seen SS do.

Only about a cap full of NuFinish and the same for mineral spirits. The real trick is to have plenty of brass in there. I usually have my Lyman 1200 over half full of brass before I add the treated media and begin tumbling.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2016, 07:36:16 PM »
Old thread alert.
I pulled the trigger on a stainless media tumbler
Anyone have pointers on how to dry the brass? The fiancé said I could use her hair dryer, have a portable heater on it now.

Sucks to be seating primers and find the brass still wet.  :chuckle:
Any sure way to tell if it's dry inside also?

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2016, 07:44:37 PM »
Shake the water out, then put em on tinfoil in the oven at about 200 for about 15 minutes, then let cool in the oven.

I used to do that when I would liquid clean brass before I got a tumbler. Never found wet brass.

Offline DRobnsn

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2016, 09:02:15 PM »
Currently I'm using a Frankfort vibratory tumbler walnut media and some cheap polish from sportsmans. I'm going to try a concrete mixer with stainless media and dish soap in the next couple months though. I figure I'll just build a screen to filter out the media and water when complete and stick the mixer next to my shop Woodstove with the fan blowing in it and run it until they are dry.

Offline The Gobble-stopper

• Scout
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2016, 12:07:43 AM »
I am currently using one of the first  vibrating machines made. I have always used a combo of corncob and walnut with the preloaded polish. I recently decided, after some 30 years to change out the media. Well I did not make it to a gun shop. But did stop by a pet store looking for something else. When I spotted a bad of corncob media, that is for pet bedding. I thought what the heck . I bought it, through some shells in it a ran it for about an hour. Without adding any polish. I was surprised to find out the shells came out every bit as clean. And I didn't have to wipe any polish off when I was done... I wish I would have taken pics before I started, because most of the shells I found in an old gravel pit, and they were pretty spotted. Also I must say I would be leary about using the stainless steel shot. I am an avid rock polishing fan. And the first thing I learned was, use harder grit then the stones you were polishing, to make sure you grind them down good. Well in the shell polishing, I do not believe you want to grind the shells. (stainless is much harder than brass). You only want to remove the soft dirt, oils etc, from the shell. That's why we use corn or walnut. Does that make sense. I could possibly see using stainless would wear the outside and possibly the inside of the shells. Causing possibly pressure issues etc. And shorting the longevity of the life of the shell. Right now I reload my shells more then 30 times with no problems.

Offline RadSav

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2016, 02:48:03 AM »
Stainless shot is a burnishing media and not an aggressive media.  I wouldn't worry about it.  But it is too heavy for most counter top vibratory tumblers.  I've never tried brass in our magnetic tumblers, but I have been thinking about trying it.

I still use walnut most of the time.  Never with polishing compound!  I don't want grit on anything after tumbling.  If I need aggressive removal of gunk on the shells or in the primer pockets I use an ultrasonic cleaner for that.  Their cheap at Harbor Freight, though I do have a large RCBS model.  Though it gets the most use as a cleaner for plastic mold inserts.
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2016, 09:17:18 AM »
Stainless shot is a burnishing media and not an aggressive media.  I wouldn't worry about it.  But it is too heavy for most counter top vibratory tumblers.  I've never tried brass in our magnetic tumblers, but I have been thinking about trying it.

I still use walnut most of the time.  Never with polishing compound!  I don't want grit on anything after tumbling.  If I need aggressive removal of gunk on the shells or in the primer pockets I use an ultrasonic cleaner for that.  Their cheap at Harbor Freight, though I do have a large RCBS model.  Though it gets the most use as a cleaner for plastic mold inserts.

What do you use for your cleaning liquid?  I just bought one of the 2.5 quart sonic cleaners, mostly for my outboard carbs after dunking them.   :o

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2016, 09:34:16 AM »
I use a sonic cleaner. It's quiet, quicker than tumbling and no media stuck in flash pockets. Only down side is I have to let them dry before loading. Normal I clean right before I aneal (every 5th loading)so I have to dry them anyway. Jme
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2016, 05:42:54 PM »

What do you use for your cleaning liquid?  I just bought one of the 2.5 quart sonic cleaners, mostly for my outboard carbs after dunking them.   :o
i use lemi shine and a drop of dawn. Works great
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10