collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: How much to tip on tuna charter?  (Read 6158 times)

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: How much to tip on tuna charter?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 01:41:53 PM »
interesting discussion. I've never been on a charter but would be prepared to tip if I recieve adequate service. You don't get a trophy just for showing up: my $0.02.

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2015, 01:43:54 PM »
Bait or trolling trip?

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2015, 01:50:26 PM »
I did a tuna trip last year. Tipped 10% and paid them to loin the fish for us. They got about an extra $80-100 for the trip over the booking fee. x that for 6 fishermen on the boat. Some may have done more or less I don't know

Offline wildweeds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2015, 05:23:56 PM »
Went on a trip eons ago out of westport with Deep sea charters I think,Was on an 85 footer called the "Deluxe" there were 22 fishers on the boat and 3 deckhands,skipper Cliff,Cliffs dad Leonard was one of the deckhands at 80+ years old,an engineer/cook and Cliffs wife.We paid for a 2 day trip,when we arrived we had a decision to make the fish were not in close but if we were willing to fish just one day we could really get into them by running all night.The vote was for going for the big catch 120 miles out.Most of the party were experianced salmon fishermen we shattered the skippers daily catch record with 397 tuna in the hold,those deckhands really got a workout,we tipped 100 each in our 18 person party and paid for quite a few loin jobs.The trip fee for that charter was 450.We might have been tightwads on the tipping I guess but in 1995 100 bucks was worth quite a bit considering I made 13 dollars and hour.We helped the hands scrub and clean on the boat on the way in,it was a fish with bait trip.I'd go with that guy again in a second however I heard he headed back to southern  california.

Offline Fungunnin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 06:36:40 AM »
I currently am a part time deck hand on a friend's charter. Our agreement is I work for tips and fish. The Captain and I allow the boat to catch our limits and then we keep the two smallest limits. This won't be the case with Tuna since there is no limit. The clients will get everything.
On good weekends the captain will kick me some money on top of tips too.
I feel tips totally depend on the level of service given. If the crew goes over the top to make your tip enjoyable then tip them at least 10%.
Tipping the captain is not as expected as tipping the deckhands. I know several boats where the captain gives 100% of the tips to the deckhand. The job doesn't pay well and would be tough to live off of, but damn it is fun!

Offline Tealer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 04:32:32 PM »
I work as a deckhand for a charter boat in Astoria. Unlike fungunnin I get a daily rate, though I bring all the leaders, and supply some tackle. I more or less make my living in tips. I don't expect them but I try to work hard for them and try to provide an enjoyable trip. That said most days the average tip on a salmon trip is 10 to 15 per guy, 12 guys. I haven't done the tuna trips so I can't help you there.

On thing to remember on a charter boat, we all have good days and bad days. I know it stinks when you pay for a trip and the fishing isn't great but that's not always in control of the capt or deckhand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw