collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: knife sharpening in pierce county ??  (Read 6046 times)

Offline papisjeep

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Hunter
knife sharpening in pierce county ??
« on: July 29, 2015, 04:33:45 PM »
looking for a place to have a couple knives sharpened locally
(as I'm not the best at it)

Offline wildweeds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: knife sharpening in pierce county ??
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 04:50:22 PM »
I suggest the purchase of a Worksharp Knife sharpener, the guesswork and skill is all taken care of,if you can push a button and drag a knife slowly through a guide you'll sharpen em like a pro.Even the hard to sharpen knives sharpen very quickly and easily.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 05:03:13 PM »
Any butcher in a store, like Safeway will do it. My Dad used them all the time... :tup:
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline cookingdaily

• Hunter
  • USMC 90-94
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 05:32:19 PM »
If you use an electric sharpener you run the risk of putting a bow in the back of the blade, find a knife store they should be able to do it
There are 2 things no one can take from me!
My Word and My Handshake both of which are True!
Had to steal this, I live this motto daily

Offline biggfish

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 08:10:35 PM »
Are you in a rush to get it done? I'm good with a stone but I'm going to be out of town till the 10th.
Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

Offline papisjeep

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 08:22:24 PM »
Are you in a rush to get it done? I'm good with a stone but I'm going to be out of town till the 10th.
no rush, thanks if i don't find something before then that is very kind of you to offer the service
how much do you charge ?

Offline biggfish

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 08:25:06 PM »
Five dollars
Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

Offline 257wbymagkiller

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 08:35:33 PM »
Fox knives in puyallup across the street from cascade

Offline papisjeep

• Hunter
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 08:37:04 PM »
awesome let me know when you come back into town

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 09:03:24 PM »
I suggest the purchase of a Worksharp Knife sharpener, the guesswork and skill is all taken care of,if you can push a button and drag a knife slowly through a guide you'll sharpen em like a pro.Even the hard to sharpen knives sharpen very quickly and easily.

\ :yeah:   :yeah:   :yeah:

I picked up an old filet knife that I found out by my chicken coop today, in five minutes it was sharp enough to filet the salmon I got today.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 10:07:12 AM »
If you use an electric sharpener you run the risk of putting a bow in the back of the blade, find a knife store they should be able to do it

I can see this happening if you're using something course-ish that's doing a bit of cutting but I have the Ken Onion edition Work Sharp sharpeners and all I ever use are the finest grit belts with VERY light pressure and I've noticed zero difference in the contour of the blade. 

The only thing I notice is how freaking sharp I can get a blade and how easy it is to do so.  Now, we never have anything that isn't razor sharp and if it is, I can have it back to razor sharp in just a few seconds.  My Work Sharp has been worth every penny!

Offline wildweeds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 12:25:47 PM »
I used mine to sharpen my buddys cheapie boat danielson bait/utility knives that were so dull you could ride all the way to hell on them and never even feel it,they were laser sharp with a round of the red belt and then a round with that grey belt.

I can see this happening if you're using something course-ish that's doing a bit of cutting but I have the Ken Onion edition Work Sharp sharpeners and all I ever use are the finest grit belts with VERY light pressure and I've noticed zero difference in the contour of the blade. 

The only thing I notice is how freaking sharp I can get a blade and how easy it is to do so.  Now, we never have anything that isn't razor sharp and if it is, I can have it back to razor sharp in just a few seconds.  My Work Sharp has been worth every penny!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 12:50:08 PM »

If it's high speed I think that's an issue. The WorkSharp isn't fast enough to do that as far as I know.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 06:08:17 PM »
I used mine to sharpen my buddys cheapie boat danielson bait/utility knives that were so dull you could ride all the way to hell on them and never even feel it,they were laser sharp with a round of the red belt and then a round with that grey belt.[quote ]

Unless I'm working on a knife that's in really bad shape all I use is the white one then hone it with that narrow, super fine, blue-ish colored belt.  The blades I've done seem to hold their edge quite a bit longer when I finish off with that narrow ultra fine blue-ish belt.

I'm sure, for someone that knows how and has all the right stones, they can probably do a better job than I can with my Work Sharp but I'm certainly NOT that person and I wanted something I can easily use to get knives very sharp so the Work Sharp works well for me.

I even use mine, with the course belts, on my lawn mower blades and they come out sharp as he11 and I hone the heck out of them after they're sharp and they've yet to get dull or chip.

Offline slm9s

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 12:28:43 PM »
Read the reviews on the "work sharp" electric sharpener.  LOTS of people say its the best at a good price.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal