collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Where did they go?  (Read 3214 times)

Offline Duckslayer89

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Where did they go?
« on: July 29, 2015, 11:58:12 PM »
So I went up to my spot in 249, it's amazing country lots of meadows and wallows. Good water sources and very remote. Usually there is tons of elk sign in September and I've pulled elk out. However I went up last week and there wasn't a single fresh print or fresh pile of sign, and no grass was matted down. Didn't smell any elk either. Could it still be too early for their summer/fall area in the high country? I'm stumped. I backpack in and an outfitter likes to drop his guys off near where I camp so I know it's a good area. Anyways what do you guys think? Here is a bull I killed in 249 archery, brought the rifle for the second pack out

Offline bowhunterforever

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: Where did they go?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 12:37:59 AM »
Nice bull :tup: Congrats
You sure you know how to skin griz pilgram

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 05:45:53 AM »
wolves may have bumped them . focus on those north slopes good luck.
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline cryder

• relic01
  • Longhunter
  • elk down
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 09:19:59 AM »
You see Lewis !! Its just another reason I don't game camera for finding elk or dear in the big mountain areas,dont matter what pictures you get , do you really think they are still standing there, just to many changing factors, unless your hunting right along as those pictures are taken, just a week and the whole planet has changed,let alone the freeekn wolves that I seemed to have missed  >:( :chuckle: :chuckle:,
loction location location ! perzackly !

Offline Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 01:18:24 AM »
Ya I was talking to my dad about the wolves. Hope one runs in front of me...for pictures of course...

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 08:51:42 AM »
Is there as much water there as in the past?  I know over here in Idaho I have seen the elk lower and more concentrated around water, the wallows and springs dried up early this year up higher and the elk noticed. 

Offline BUTTER

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 01:40:40 PM »
It's just going to be a different year its drier this season than it has been in the past in a long time don't sweat it though find water cover miles look at maps study how the creeks role you will find elk they are somewhere all you can do is try and don't give up and I wouldn't listen to people about cameras they are a good tool and FUN either way

Offline cryder

• relic01
  • Longhunter
  • elk down
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 07:01:45 AM »
Don't get me wrong here , I love using cameras but I don't use them in the big country ,all it amounts to is a new product on the hock shop shelves, and all the changeable factors it ends up not being any help , ive done it for years until my stuff started disappearing, then it just wasn't worth it anymore , keep doing this and you and I will be paddling the same boat. :bash: :bash: :bash:
loction location location ! perzackly !

Offline nw_bowhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 08:04:03 AM »
Nice elk... I'm sure with the extra hot temps, and dry conditions might have changed the movement. How was the feed where you were looking?

Offline Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2015, 11:25:06 PM »
Ya thanks for the advice guys! The springs were actually really low which was surprising and the wallows pretty dry too. There was a few trickling streams though.  Grass was green still in the timber. I don't think feed was scarse. We did see more sign down low by the river which makes sense.....sometimes I get to focused on one area I've had success in and won't change my ways! We probably need to stay on the move. That's one good thing about backpack hunting. Move camps easily.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal