collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Puyallup Pinks  (Read 23228 times)

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Puyallup Pinks
« on: July 30, 2015, 10:32:42 PM »
Here's an article about fishing the Puyallup for Pinks...just about covers it all.

http://www.northwestfishingreports.com/ReadArticle.aspx?id=655

G-C-R
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline shadowless_nite

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Re: Puyallup Pinks
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 04:48:54 PM »
My friend was telling me I should try this, though I've never actually fished for salmon except for maybe a handful of times when I was handed a rod an said ok go for it.  I know nothing  of tactic or technique but this seemed pretty straight forward just like that article. I think I might have to give it a try. Is there a preferable time to go up to the Puyallup river and do this? Would this be possible now or soon? I was told around october??? :dunno:

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 10:44:05 PM »
It should be good by the middle of August...I'll post reports/updates as I plan on fishing a couple times a week from now until Sept....Oct is way too late.

G-C-R
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline Firedogg

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 12:27:48 PM »
Pinks?  Pinks?  We don't need no stinkin pinks.  lol
There is no greater respect to have for wildlife than to harvest an animal fairly and use it's flesh to feed your family.  ~me

Offline elk247

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 12:37:20 PM »
 :yeah: cool picture.

Online Bullkllr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 06:06:01 PM »
My friend was telling me I should try this, though I've never actually fished for salmon except for maybe a handful of times when I was handed a rod an said ok go for it.  I know nothing  of tactic or technique but this seemed pretty straight forward just like that article. I think I might have to give it a try. Is there a preferable time to go up to the Puyallup river and do this? Would this be possible now or soon? I was told around october??? :dunno:

Pinks will be done before October. Best time for brighter fish is mid August to early Sept. There are some fish in now, I'm sure, but lower stretch doesn't open till 8/10. Be sure to check the regs as there are some day closures and other interesting regs.

It really can be a total zoo, or if you are willing to explore you can get away from the melees.

It is a rather sad indictment for our fisheries if you can't find something better to fish for closer to Vancouver than pinks on the Puyallup.
"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline Jonnyjammer

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 07:20:16 PM »
Pinks?  Pinks?  We don't need no stinkin pinks.  lol
Nice picture,what river is that in?Pretty clear water.

Offline Firedogg

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 07:30:32 PM »
  That picture was from the Voights Creek Hatchery collection pond.
There is no greater respect to have for wildlife than to harvest an animal fairly and use it's flesh to feed your family.  ~me

Offline shadowless_nite

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 09:59:10 PM »

Pinks will be done before October. Best time for brighter fish is mid August to early Sept. There are some fish in now, I'm sure, but lower stretch doesn't open till 8/10. Be sure to check the regs as there are some day closures and other interesting regs.

It really can be a total zoo, or if you are willing to explore you can get away from the melees.

It is a rather sad indictment for our fisheries if you can't find something better to fish for closer to Vancouver than pinks on the Puyallup.

That's what I was figuring that it was way late. There are more to fish around here on the big river. But everyone always makes it seems like pinks are such fun and easier to target than the rest so I figured I'd maybe try and check it out. I guess I'll have to debate between preseason camping/scouting for elk or taking a weekend to try and fish for pinks

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 10:05:17 AM »
There are about 1 million better fisheries that are closer to Vancouver than the Puyallup.  North, south, east, and west all have way better options.

Offline The Gobble-stopper

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 11:26:25 AM »
Yes there may be fisheries towards the Vancouver area, but the Puyallup has like a half million pinks coming up in a very short time. Its a great place to teach woman, children, and the newbies how to catch fish... Along with a lot of chatter from the gobs of people. The rivers towards Vancouver have fish, yes! But when you can hook a fish about every cast, even though there are a lot of people, why not?  I know we all want to keep our secret spots. But I do not believe the Puyallup is any secret when it comes to pinks. You can get in and out in less then an hour with your limit. And leave a spot for someone else to step in. And believe me when they are running, there is no shortage of fish.

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 12:18:11 PM »
It's certainly no secret and anyone who wants to floss up a million pinks should go for it.  I was just saying that there are many better options if you value the experience over just snagging a ton of fish.

Offline Hunterman

• Y.A.R. PRO FISHING TEAM MEMBER #1 MASTER BAITER
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 12:34:09 PM »
It's certainly no secret and anyone who wants to floss up a million pinks should go for it.  I was just saying that there are many better options if you value the experience over just snagging a ton of fish.

So if I understand you post correctly,, people who fish the Puyallup are snagging and not fishing?

Hunterman(Tony)
SOMR PEOPLE HAVE TO WAIT THEIR WHOLE LIFE TO MEET THEIR HUNTING BUDDY. I RAISED MINE.

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 12:44:38 PM »

So if I understand you post correctly,, people who fish the Puyallup are snagging and not fishing?

Hunterman(Tony)

Mostly, yes.  Do you think the fish see the corky in the water with zero inches of visibility?

Offline Hunterman

• Y.A.R. PRO FISHING TEAM MEMBER #1 MASTER BAITER
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 12:53:33 PM »
Hmmm,,ok

Hunterman(Tony)
SOMR PEOPLE HAVE TO WAIT THEIR WHOLE LIFE TO MEET THEIR HUNTING BUDDY. I RAISED MINE.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]