collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New Hunter Question  (Read 4860 times)

Offline ztirffritz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
    • https://www.facebook.com/fhieber
New Hunter Question
« on: July 30, 2015, 10:47:22 PM »
Ok, I'll sound like an idiot asking this, but how does the hunting license work in Wa. The last time I had a hunting license was 1988 in PA.  I bought my license for WA for small game so I could use my air gun.  They sent me a Discover Pass and a receipt printed on plastic 'paper'. I'm assuming that's the license.  In PA I had to wear it on my body displayed on my back. The WA license looks like it goes in the parking pass. Is that how it works?  Or do I just need to carry it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: New Hunter Question
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 10:55:19 PM »
Yes, the hunting license is what looks like a receipt. They didn't use to be like that, and I don't like it. But that's it and you just need to carry it in your wallet, your pocket, your pack, etc. The pass you got free with your hunting license is not a Discover pass. It's a parking pass for WDFW lands. You'll still need to purchase the Discover pass if you're going to use State Parks or DNR lands (Washington Department of Natural Resources).

Also, check into the rules on air guns. For most hunting, they're not legal.

Offline AWS

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 11:01:44 PM »
You just need to carry your license ON your person, as in your pocket or wallet so you can produce it if asked by a warden.  Have your ID with you also.  Your Discover pass needs to be displayed in the vehicle, be sure you have a Discover Pass and not just a parking pass they look alike The Discover Pass you pay for the parking pass is free but is of limited use..

Double check on hunting GAME animals with an airgun, I believe it was illegal in the past but I haven't kept up and there had been talk of making them legal.
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 11:03:35 PM »
check out the rules on air guns too

http://wdfw.wa.gov/help/questions/92/Is+it+legal+to+use+pellet+guns,+air+guns,+or+sling+shots+to+harvest+game+birds%3F

What can you shoot with airguns?  Non-game animals that aren't otherwise protected in some way, but then you wouldn't need a license either.

You can shoot collared doves, that's about as sporting as it gets.

interesting aside
Background summary:
Eurasian collared doves are an exotic species whose numbers and distribution are believed to
be increasing in Washington. They have already been added to the list of predatory birds
which allows them to be hunted year round, but they appear to continue to be expanding.
There has been some interest in being able to use Eurasian collared doves for falconry and
dog training but current rules do not allow their use for these purposes. Changes proposed to
these three rules would add this species to the lists of other species that can be used for these
purposes.
Eurasian collared doves are considered an undesirable species and removal and use of these
birds for falconry and dog training may help limit competition with native species and other
potential impacts. Release of this species for these purposes would be allowed, but this is not
likely to cause further or more rapid expansion of their current range as most of the birds would
be killed.
Policy issue(s) you are bringing to the Commission for consideration:
The use of Eurasian collared doves for falconry and dog training.
Public involvement process used and what you learned:
The Department conducted an extensive public involvement process to develop the 2015-2017
hunting season recommendations. This summer, two online issue scoping surveys were made
available to the public. The first survey laid out major issues of concern. The second survey
was a follow-up based on the public response received from the first survey. The department
also held six public meetings, three on each side of the state. Both the surveys and the
meetings were publicized via news release, WDFW’s website and an email to hunters from the
last five years. Also, a request for comment was sent to over 9000 individuals and
organizations through the rulemaking process. Additionally, these individuals and organizations
were informed of the opportunity to provide verbal testimony at the March 20-21, 2015
Commission Meeting in Moses Lake.

Offline ztirffritz

• Pilgrim
New Hunter Question
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 11:50:09 PM »
I already looked through the hunting regs for airguns.  It is illegal to hunt game animals with an airgun but unclassified animals can be taken. Things like squirrels, rats, skunks, marmots and a few other critters.  You still need a license though. It's a shame.  It's a .25 cal airgun. It hits pretty hard and is wicked accurate. In other states people are hunting deer, elk, boar, and bear. The biggest thing I can hunt is a coyote. It's really nice to be able to shoot a couple hundred rounds for about $15 too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 11:58:24 PM by ztirffritz »

Offline ztirffritz

• Pilgrim
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 11:54:58 PM »
The list is on this PDF:
Pages 151-152 (or pages 154-155 of the PDF file)
http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01676/wdfw01676.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Bofire

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 08:09:27 AM »
Be careful what kind of squirrel you are shooting.
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline ztirffritz

• Pilgrim
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 08:23:33 AM »
Yes, the Western Brown Squirrel is protected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 08:39:12 AM »
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 12:17:38 PM »
Glad to hear you're doing your homework, you almost need a lawyer in your back pocket to hunt Washington. 

Offline PLAINSHUNTER

• Pilgrim
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 07:19:46 AM »
Glad to hear you're doing your homework, you almost need a lawyer in your back pocket to hunt Washington.

:yeah:

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 07:32:24 AM »
I scratched my head too when I came out here from PA .. If you buy all your fishing license and hunting license and all your tags you will need to buy 2 wallets to hold all the crap  :yike: Think they would copy how they do it back east by making it all fit on one piece of paper !!! Just to simple I guess !

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2015, 08:04:41 AM »
I scratched my head too when I came out here from PA .. If you buy all your fishing license and hunting license and all your tags you will need to buy 2 wallets to hold all the crap  :yike: Think they would copy how they do it back east by making it all fit on one piece of paper !!! Just to simple I guess !
You need one transport tag per big game animal. If you want to hunt lots of big game animals you need lots of transport tags. I'm not sure how it could be done otherwise.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2015, 08:13:04 AM »
You need one transport tag per big game animal. If you want to hunt lots of big game animals you need lots of transport tags. I'm not sure how it could be done otherwise.
I think the difference might be the size of the tags.  Some of the other states, the tags might be 1.5x2 inches, so you can throw half a dozen tags in the same space of one WDFW tag.  They print both sides somehow, but WDFW uses thermal printing so kind of limited there.  Example: if you could print the catch card for fishing on the back of the license, that would be a decent space saver.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2015, 08:15:10 AM »

I think he is referring to the foot and a half long "license" that seems to get longer by about two inches each time you get another item like an additional catch card.  My biggest beef with this system is that I cannot buy my fishing licenses and then my hunting license and keep the first receipt in my boat while taking my hunting license to the field. 

As long as the activity I am currently doing is listed on the license in my possession, I should be fine, but nooooo, that would be too easy, and apparently somehow confusing for a warden checking me....  :bash:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]