collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14x50mm CDS  (Read 5788 times)

Offline sagewalker

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14x50mm CDS
« on: July 31, 2015, 10:15:26 AM »
Does anyone have any experience with this scope? Pros & Cons or options for different scopes. Input would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
“Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.”

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14x50mm CDS
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 10:53:10 AM »
I just picked one up for my 338 RUM.  I had a 3x9x40 on there and I could use the same rings.  It mounts very nicely and lower than your standard 50mm.  That was the selling point for me.  I wanted a large objective but didn't want to change the height of my scope to get it.  It always felt awkward shooting a rifle with the high rings.

Mine has the B&C reticle. They eye relief is very generous, almost to much, but with a large magnum, it is a necessity.  Very clear glass, great warranty from Leupold.  I picked mine up used, it had a small piece of lint in the glass.  I sent it in and they serviced it free of charge.

I haven't sent any rounds through it yet, but I bought it after using one on my buddies rifle.  Its like a spotting scope, should be great for long distance shots.

The CDS always intrigued me, but I wanted to be able to throw this on another rifle if this one goes down and not have it set up for one caliber.  And I am like to try new bullets from time to time just for the heck of it.  Buy with confidence!

Offline headshot5

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 11:31:17 AM »
They are a good scope.  For a 4.5-14X I think I would prefer and adjustable objective.  Not sure if they have changed it or not, but originally the CDS 4.5-14X didn't have AO.   

I run them in 3.5-10X with the CDS turret.   So far I have just used the MOA turret the comes with the scope.  If you do get one, just know that the turret that comes with the scope does not have a zero stop.  When you order your 1 free custom turret it will have a zero stop, but it also limits you to one rotation of the dial.   Most people can reach 700 or so yards (depending on your gun), with one turn.  Overall they are a pretty awesome scope.   :tup:

Offline sagewalker

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 12:05:54 PM »
would you need the B&C Reticle with the CDS?  :dunno: Seems like a guy would just want one or the other!

Offline sagewalker

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 08:53:17 AM »
I just picked one up for my 338 RUM.  I had a 3x9x40 on there and I could use the same rings.  It mounts very nicely and lower than your standard 50mm.  That was the selling point for me.  I wanted a large objective but didn't want to change the height of my scope to get it.  It always felt awkward shooting a rifle with the high rings.

Mine has the B&C reticle. They eye relief is very generous, almost to much, but with a large magnum, it is a necessity.  Very clear glass, great warranty from Leupold.  I picked mine up used, it had a small piece of lint in the glass.  I sent it in and they serviced it free of charge.

I haven't sent any rounds through it yet, but I bought it after using one on my buddies rifle.  Its like a spotting scope, should be great for long distance shots.

The CDS always intrigued me, but I wanted to be able to throw this on another rifle if this one goes down and not have it set up for one caliber.  And I am like to try new bullets from time to time just for the heck of it.  Buy with confidence!

would you need the B&C Reticle with the CDS?   Seems like a guy would just want one or the other!

Offline headshot5

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 09:11:15 AM »
I could see it being useful on a gun that closely matches the BC reticle.   You could sight it in at 200 yards (how the reticle is setup), and get a turret set for 200 yards and out.   Then with it zeroed you could have the option of holding over or dialing depending on the amount of time you had.  :dunno:

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 09:23:24 AM »

would you need the B&C Reticle with the CDS?   Seems like a guy would just want one or the other!

I am not sure if that is offered.  I know the B&C reticle is a one size fits all reticle for long range shooting.  The CDS allows you to adjust your cross hairs for a specific distance based on your loads so I don't see why you would want to use anything but the main crosshair.  They seem pretty awesome, but I don't like that many moving parts on my rifle.  Aim, rest, shoot, repeat if necessary.

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 09:26:12 AM »
I could see it being useful on a gun that closely matches the BC reticle.   You could sight it in at 200 yards (how the reticle is setup), and get a turret set for 200 yards and out.   Then with it zeroed you could have the option of holding over or dialing depending on the amount of time you had.  :dunno:

Good point.  I don't know if it is even offer though.  Maybe

Offline sagewalker

• Hunter
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 09:37:47 AM »
Seems a little much for me, probably would just end up getting the CDS with a Fine duplex reticle. Make it simple and easy. I appreciate everyones input so far, this is awesome info.

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 09:46:39 AM »
The Leupold VX3 4.5X14X50 is my favorite scope of all time.   :twocents:
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline sagewalker

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 09:58:20 AM »
The Leupold VX3 4.5X14X50 is my favorite scope of all time.   :twocents:

Any experience with the low profile series?

Offline higunner

• Hunter
  • Groups: rmef
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 09:08:29 PM »
I have that scope on two rifle and love it.

Offline haugenna

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 09:19:45 PM »
would you need the B&C Reticle with the CDS?  :dunno: Seems like a guy would just want one or the other!

I would go with the varmint reticle over the b&c. The varmint had a finer crosshair and it has windage marks. The finer reticle is a better option for long range targets. Not very good for dark timber or low light situations though.

Offline yorketransport

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 09:38:38 PM »
I think you'd be very happy with that scope. The only thing I would change would be to get the LR model so that you have the side parallax adjustment. At 14x you'd really benefit from it. I'm a huge fan of the VX-3L line. The 3.5-10x50 variant is one of my favorite hunting scopes and the 14x version is an excellent long range plinking scope out past 1500 yards. I like to run the "L" series on my specialty pistols to keep the scope low to the bore.

As far as the CDS system, I like it if you accept it's limitations. I never actually get the custom turret made for them. If you just run it with the MOA dial you'll get a low profile adjustable turret at a good price. If you're going to shoot inside of about 700 yards (which is typical of 95% of hunting) the CDS system is a great idea. Not that the custom dial wouldn't work past that, its just that you're limited to 1 revolution of the turret I believe. This will limit your range depending on the caliber you're shooting.

Andrew

Online HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 06:09:01 AM »
I talked to Leupold a couple weeks ago about the VX3 3.5-10x40 CDS I bought for my Tikka t3 lite 7 mag. They told me that the CDS could be either 1 turn with the stop. or 2 turn without a stop. Not sure if its specific to that model though. It would be worth giving them a call.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]