collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: african cape buffalo rifle  (Read 24051 times)

Offline superdown

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: african cape buffalo rifle
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2015, 03:35:07 PM »
One is more tenacious to life and a helluva lot more likely to give you grief than the other.
That certainly is something to keep in mind :chuckle: I understand that's it not legal my curiosity is based on if it were legal why then it would be so underrated? 

Offline mountainman

• Frontiersman
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • High lead logger/ cutter
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2015, 04:16:07 PM »
Saw it. Key words in that write up.   He tracked it fir an hour.
The way that you wander, is the way that you choose
The day that you tarry, is the day that you lose

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2015, 04:39:18 PM »
FYI a 45-70 with 500 at 1800 god has 87% as much energy as a 375 with 300 grain bullet at 2500. This really isn't even a comparison. 375 have a much better bullet selection as well. Rifle prices are similar also.

Again.  Not downgrading the 45-70. It's great at what it does. It just isn't in the same class as the h&h or ruger

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2015, 04:46:15 PM »
Look at it this way 45-70 guys, what would you carry if you were by yourself?
One that I've shot hundreds of rounds through, know every little quirk of, and that I'm so comfortable with that it feels like an extension of my arm. A rifle that I'm confident enough to bet thousands of dollars and my life on, that the bullet goes where I want every time I pull the trigger.

Now, how is it easier to achieve that with a true African big bore over a 45-70? Besides just quoting pure horse power how is it that the a 45-70 with correct loads would be unable to deliver a critical hit to the CNS of a cape buffalo in a frontal charge? Will it not penetrate the skull or spine? Is it unable to penetrate shoulders on broadside shots to get to vitals if a  person fudged the shot to far forward? Enlighten us as to why it's such a bad idea.

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2015, 04:55:27 PM »

If it's illegal to use there why are you even debating it? It isn't an option. :dunno:

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

From a little digging on the internet all I can find for South Africa is that some provinces have a 375 caliber minimum but there's no energy minimum. That would lead me to believe a 45-70 is completely legal.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2015, 05:01:15 PM »
One that I've shot hundreds of rounds through, know every little quirk of, and that I'm so comfortable with that it feels like an extension of my arm. A rifle that I'm confident enough to bet thousands of dollars and my life on, that the bullet goes where I want every time I pull the trigger.

Now, how is it easier to achieve that with a true African big bore over a 45-70? Besides just quoting pure horse power how is it that the a 45-70 with correct loads would be unable to deliver a critical hit to the CNS of a cape buffalo in a frontal charge? Will it not penetrate the skull or spine? Is it unable to penetrate shoulders on broadside shots to get to vitals if a  person fudged the shot to far forward? Enlighten us as to why it's such a bad idea.
From the op it seems to me like he would buy a new gun for this hunt if he gets to go. The way I see it there's no reason to buy a 45-70 over a 375.

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2015, 05:05:34 PM »
Saw it. Key words in that write up.   He tracked it fir an hour.

At which point he had found it with rigor mortise already set in. You'd move slower tracking an elk that went out of site if it were an animal with a reputation for stomping people.

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • High lead logger/ cutter
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2015, 05:20:01 PM »
That's right. But I'd have begun with a rifle that would drop em right there!  :chuckle: :)

Look dude, we all know it can be done. Sure. But you don't split rounds with a hatchet. You can split wood with an axe, but a maul is even better.
The way that you wander, is the way that you choose
The day that you tarry, is the day that you lose

Offline 257 Wby Mag

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2015, 05:28:55 PM »
I'd be inclined to smoke one with my beloved 257 Roy, and 87 grains boolits, like the man himself did...
Tod Riechert fan club.

Offline 257 Wby Mag

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2015, 05:30:59 PM »
I'd gladly slum a 375 or 416 ruger over as 45/70, but I've never done much killin..
Tod Riechert fan club.

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2015, 05:49:42 PM »
Wow I didnt realize suggesting a 45/70 was going to start such a heated debate! I only brought it up because I think it's a cool round and the Marlins a cool gun and it's what I'd want to use. Im sure the .375 is more that capable it just dosnst float my boat. If it floats yours that's awesome! More power to you! As far as lethality within its limited range  capabilities I'm sure mbogo won't be able to tell the difference. As far as ph's go in pretty sure sam fadala is a licensed ph and uses a marlin 45/70 as his back up rifle.
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline superdown

• Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2015, 05:51:49 PM »
That's right. But I'd have begun with a rifle that would drop em right there!  :chuckle: :)

Look dude, we all know it can be done. Sure. But you don't split rounds with a hatchet. You can split wood with an axe, but a maul is even better.
Although i don't disagree with using more gun what i did notice in the article was the fact that bullets exited the which means there was more then enough power but the CNS was not hit so using a more powerful cartridge would be even more difficult to shoot accurately so what needs to be found is an example where the CNS was hit with the 45-70.Because to say  "But I'd have begun with a rifle that would drop em right there!" is entirely to broad of a statement when it is no guarantee just because the cartridge chosen is more powerful.   
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 06:01:31 PM by superdown »

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2015, 06:01:05 PM »
Stroke your ego and use a 45-70. But cheering louder for it don't make it anymore powerful than what it is.

Well said! :tup:

Big Magnums. No replacement for displacement.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 06:06:40 PM by Biggerhammer »

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2015, 06:08:01 PM »

From the op it seems to me like he would buy a new gun for this hunt if he gets to go. The way I see it there's no reason to buy a 45-70 over a 375.
And the way I see it is there is no reason to pick a 375 over a 45-70. It's all personal preference and to me the 45-70 is a better choice once back from Africa. Yes the 375 is more powerful but what does the extra umph gain you over the 375? A quick look at Midway shows a huge selection of .458 bullets over a more limited selection of 375 bullets. In my experience if you're hunting in the states and need a box of ammo the mom and pop type store in middle of nowhere Idaho is far more likely to have a box of 45-70's.
For the specific task of Cape buffalo a 375 of some variety could very well likely be the rite choice. I'm not really trying to say 45-70 is the perfect choice just trying to see why give up the availability of ammo and variety of reloading components for such African designed rounds? I'm happy to be wrong, I'd just like to know why I am.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal