collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Is a 3x restriction good?  (Read 21885 times)

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
Re: Is a 3x restriction good?
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2015, 02:48:39 PM »
I like how Oregon does it, draw only for modern firearm and otc fir archery.
Ya was going to say that too. Oregon limits the amount of hunters per unit then lets it be anybuck.
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2015, 03:08:21 PM »

You will here guys saying that we are allowing giant two points to breed the does because of this.  That is somewhat true but this has always happened.  Even back before the three point restriction I saw big two's rutting some times.  Guys fear that they are passing that genetic gene down. But just being a two does not mean they always were.  It is not as much about genetics as it is about age and summer forage. Most times giant two' are just regressed, older bucks and still carry great genetics (but not always).
[/quote]no offense but most of this completely false. Deer do not always add points as they age nor do they necessarily loose points as they age. If genetically a buck is a two point he will just continue two be a bigger and bigger two point. And a typical 4 point as he ages past prine will loose tine length and girth but mature 4 point will not regress back to a two point. Like blrman said I see a lot of big twos that guys think are mature but really aren't they're just healthy with good feed and genes
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 03:16:26 PM by jdb »
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline Smokepole

• Kevin Miller
  • Sourdough
« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2015, 05:20:46 AM »
I grew up hunting the Gardner Unit 231, which was the state's test area for three point or better hunting.  Prior to that time, buck hunting was a little grim until the fall migration.  Most of the local area bucks were little shavers.  It took a few years, and we began seeing more and more bucks.  Later, we began harvesting bigger bucks -- and more of them.

It was an unpopular rule change at the time.  But I think the quality of our hunts improved in time. 

I hear of a lot of immature bucks getting harvested illegally.  That is a problem to say the least.  Maybe the best way to manage would be to shoot spikes and save the forked horns for seed.  But you gotta get all hunters to slow down and be more careful.   :twocents:

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2015, 06:24:03 AM »
Im all for draw only statewide for mule deer! we are one of the most populated states out west with mule deer, yet almost 0 mangement. There are many states out west with a fraction of our population and 10X the habitat for deer and they are draw only! makes no sense that we continue to have the seasons we do here for them.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2015, 09:14:37 AM »
Im all for draw only statewide for mule deer! we are one of the most populated states out west with mule deer, yet almost 0 mangement. There are many states out west with a fraction of our population and 10X the habitat for deer and they are draw only! makes no sense that we continue to have the seasons we do here for them.

:yeah: 100% agree
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Duckslayer89

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2015, 10:48:59 AM »
I completely agree as well. Since I've been hunting near Winthrop since I was 12 I've seen the quality tank. At least it seems that way for me.  Mule deer draw only and wolf general season that's managment...

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2015, 11:00:10 AM »
I agree with draw only for mule deer, but I also think it would put a lot more pressure on blacktails and whitetails, so hunting for those species would also need to be restricted in some way.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2015, 11:10:15 AM »
I agree with draw only for mule deer, but I also think it would put a lot more pressure on blacktails and whitetails, so hunting for those species would also need to be restricted in some way.
If you put in for the mulie permit then you can't get a blacktail/whitetail tag? That might help.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2015, 11:49:21 AM »
Those are all young deer. Expected to be two points.   Those pics just show good fawn survival last year. Is the restriction a good thing?  Now that is still a good question though.  :dunno:   I think that allowing them to mature an extra year or so gives them a little bit more life experience and instincts to avoid hunters better, hence living longer and larger. 

You will here guys saying that we are allowing giant two points to breed the does because of this.  That is somewhat true but this has always happened.  Even back before the three point restriction I saw big two's rutting some times.  Guys fear that they are passing that genetic gene down. But just being a two does not mean they always were.  It is not as much about genetics as it is about age and summer forage. Most times giant two' are just regressed, older bucks and still carry great genetics (but not always).

Go tell that to the game farms that pay close to a half million $$$$$ for the genes of a quality buck.  Genes do matter.

http://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/big-game-hunting/how-much-is-a-deer-worth/
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2015, 11:53:15 AM »
If you put in for the mulie permit then you can't get a blacktail/whitetail tag? That might help.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Good idea.

Offline BGLEMIN

• Hunter
« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2015, 04:57:12 PM »
I think another good method to improve quality and potentially increase herd numbers would be a unit rotation system.

Assume that 3-5 units all border each other, and these units also provide summer range as well as winter range for the same herd. Then let's assume that there are another 3-5 units that border the other block of units. Then like in grazing pastures we use a rest-rotation system.

So, the first cluster of 3-5 units would be on a limited draw with an antler point restriction for 5 years. Only mature 4pt on one side or better bucks being harvested. Meanwhile, in the other block of units, the limited quota would be restricted to does and bucks with no more than 2pt on one side. Again for 5 years.

At the end of the 5 year period, the unit blocks would switch. The units with a 4pt on one side restriction would become doe and 2pt or less restriction.

Thoughts??

"In wildness is the preservation of the world."
Henry David Thoreau

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2015, 05:29:37 PM »
I think you should have to choose your unit for deer. And they should alternate closing units on a five year cycle. especially in the 300 series units. For instance close half down, let them rejuvenate for 5 years and then reopen and close the other half. And make everyone choose their unit.
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2015, 09:49:23 PM »
I think another good method to improve quality and potentially increase herd numbers would be a unit rotation system.

Assume that 3-5 units all border each other, and these units also provide summer range as well as winter range for the same herd. Then let's assume that there are another 3-5 units that border the other block of units. Then like in grazing pastures we use a rest-rotation system.

So, the first cluster of 3-5 units would be on a limited draw with an antler point restriction for 5 years. Only mature 4pt on one side or better bucks being harvested. Meanwhile, in the other block of units, the limited quota would be restricted to does and bucks with no more than 2pt on one side. Again for 5 years.

At the end of the 5 year period, the unit blocks would switch. The units with a 4pt on one side restriction would become doe and 2pt or less restriction.

Thoughts??

There'd be a lot of cheating going on.  Too much temptation.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2015, 09:53:08 PM »
they still could give out alot of tags in some of the more rugged units...but being able to control how many can hunt and get a better idea of whats being taken per unit and be able to manage each unit better.

Offline pnw_hunter17

• Pilgrim
« Reply #89 on: August 28, 2015, 07:31:37 PM »

since there is 2x talk, this is my grandpas muley from last year, eye guards made it legal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal