collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Chesapeake lab mix  (Read 10246 times)

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Chesapeake lab mix
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2016, 12:17:46 PM »
I don't have any issue with mixed breed dogs at all. If you get a dog and train him to do anything it's awesome!

Just never subscribe to the thought that mixing two dogs which have been bred for hundreds of years to get specific traits will benefit from your experiment is absurd. You will not get "the best of both worlds" in one generation breeding. If you understood genetics, bred about 6-10 generations you might be able to document a trait in your line of breedings.

By mixing two pure bred dogs, you've essentially ruined what could potentially been generations of thoughtful breeding and hard work by actual breeders who responsibly follow all possible precautions to make healthy dogs.

Actually thinking you are outsmarting everything that people bred into a line for a couple hundred years is actually just really arrogant. Doing multiple generations of breedings just trying to improve something small is barely doable . That is the realistic approach.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline whitey

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • thank a soldier
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 01:11:48 PM »
I raised and hunted Chessies for about 18 years. They are great dogs, and mix would be fine as well.
I do know one thing, they arent mean, but they are protective over your(Their) truck and property. They are second to none. Very good dogs.
But I went to labs. Either way you look at it you cant go wrong.

Offline bowtechian

• Scout
  • Groups: rmef,wwa,nra, & du
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2016, 01:58:08 PM »
I don't have any issue with mixed breed dogs at all. If you get a dog and train him to do anything it's awesome!

Just never subscribe to the thought that mixing two dogs which have been bred for hundreds of years to get specific traits will benefit from your experiment is absurd. You will not get "the best of both worlds" in one generation breeding. If you understood genetics, bred about 6-10 generations you might be able to document a trait in your line of breedings.

By mixing two pure bred dogs, you've essentially ruined what could potentially been generations of thoughtful breeding and hard work by actual breeders who responsibly follow all possible precautions to make healthy dogs.

Actually thinking you are outsmarting everything that people bred into a line for a couple hundred years is actually just really arrogant. Doing multiple generations of breedings just trying to improve something small is barely doable . That is the realistic approach.
You ASSume way too much I already have a Chesapeake/lab & was just trying to find another one & he is the best of both worlds! Sent him to Western wings who was highly impressed by his performance, drive & intelligence & said if he had papers that he would personally run him in field trails. My goal is to find another hunting mut like the one I have, that's all     

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

Offline jeepinhans

• Pilgrim
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2016, 02:11:35 PM »
Just saw an add on Craigslist for some of this mix in Stanwood.

Offline bowtechian

• Scout
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2016, 02:32:00 PM »
Just saw an add on Craigslist for some of this mix in Stanwood.
Sweet! Thank you

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2016, 03:00:56 PM »

You ASSume way too much I already have a Chesapeake/lab & was just trying to find another one & he is the best of both worlds! Sent him to Western wings who was highly impressed by his performance, drive & intelligence & said if he had papers that he would personally run him in field trails. My goal is to find another hunting mut like the one I have, that's all     

Just make sure that BOTH dogs have all the proper medical clearances. I'm not really a fan of any breeding that is done with undocumented dogs. This is a how genetic disorders are passed on. I agree %1000 with what HAPPY is saying about changing a breed even if that is not what your intentions were/are.

Another huge misconception is that you can take a pup and put it with a trained dog and it will pick up the same trained behavior. That is not how this works. Dogs are not people and they cannot effectively learn this way. The only way to truly train a dog is though repetition. Yes, there are instinctual traits and behaviors that you can build on, but having your dog watch an older do run multiple Marks or do a complicated Blind Retrieve will not "Teach" the dog how to do this. I'm sure you already understand this but on the off chance that you may have some confusion about that I wanted to add my  :twocents:. Happy is active in the training world as am I and I feel confident speaking for the both of us when I say that there is no substituted for responsible breeding and proper training.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do. It seems like you have used a trainer in the past and have some knowledge about the subject.   
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline bowtechian

• Scout
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2016, 03:28:58 PM »
Thanks for your input & yes there is no substitute for solid training in a dog. There might be a little monkey see monkey do but that's not training I'm not looking to breed dogs just take advantage of someone else's hunting mishap. I've given up on finding a dame & am onto just finding a pup     

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2016, 04:39:15 PM »
if it was an accidental breeding and you give it a great hunting home or a home in general that is awesome. Intentionally doing a breeding I'd have other words...
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline Colin

• Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2016, 04:40:27 PM »
Seems like a big gamble on genetics to go this route to me? Just from a logical view point let's say you do have a really standout dog. Given every dog owner ever who has invested time and money also thinks this. You can group me right into that catagory for sure as I think my pup is great too, but he's probably just average, but let's say your dog is a fantastic working dog. You attribute that to him being a great mix of lab and chessie. What would you benifit from breeding out 25% of your dog's genetics to have 75% chessie and 25% lab? More chessie? If more chessie and a little lab is what you are looking for then why not just get a well bred chessie? For that matter why not a well bred lab? You can have a stacked deck in the genetics department with either breed so why go mixing up two great breeds with a shot in the dark to get a pup like they one you have just to say he's half of each? Let alone a dog with a proven lineage of certain traits and health clearances. I guess at the end of the day they all sleep the same on couch and a dog is a dog but man I'd want to stack the deck in my favor that I was getting the next best thing in the retriever world rather than just looking for a lab mixed with a chessie.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2016, 02:38:14 PM »
if it was an accidental breeding and you give it a great hunting home or a home in general that is awesome. Intentionally doing a breeding I'd have other words...

Yup.
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

Offline Copperwood

• Hunter
  • Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/Copperwood.kennelsWA/
    • Copperwood Kennels
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2016, 08:16:37 PM »
I'm sure it's already been covered but there is a lot more that goes into breeding than finding a male and female. I have nothing against people training/hunting/breeding dogs that are not purebred but regardless there's precautions that have to be taken. Make sure all pedigrees are available so you're not inbreeding. Hips, elbows, eyes, EIC, CNM, are some of the genetic tests that would be good to put both dogs through.
Copperwood Kennels
Lone Duck Outfittes Prostaff
Hevi-Shot Prostaff

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2016, 08:12:47 AM »
I'm sure it's already been covered but there is a lot more that goes into breeding than finding a male and female. I have nothing against people training/hunting/breeding dogs that are not purebred but regardless there's precautions that have to be taken. Make sure all pedigrees are available so you're not inbreeding. Hips, elbows, eyes, EIC, CNM, are some of the genetic tests that would be good to put both dogs through.

Carful. Threads get locked around here when you start talking about responsible breeding practices.
CoryTDF

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2016, 09:45:51 PM »
Weim mixed with labs makes a real expensive silver pointing lab. They sell for around $5k
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal