collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Another Pack Inventory for Expert Review (getting ready for 2016!)  (Read 22747 times)

Offline Branden

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Another Pack Inventory for Expert Review (with pictures)
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2015, 06:12:32 PM »
Only thing I would add is a few more bullets and a Gatorade bottle to drink out of. Also I think your bag is fine. I use a bag rated at 40* for hunting in Washington even in regular modern season. If you get cold wear your thermals to bed.

Offline ridgefire

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2015, 09:26:09 PM »
I would suggest a 15* bag as well. Sucks being cold and not being able to warm up.

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2015, 02:53:37 PM »
Everyone's lists are going to vary slightly, only u know what you need vs comfort. I think it looks good over all, I would cut the sweater tho. And depending on your usage and length might lighten up on the para cord or replace some with 1.8 guy line. I like to pa k more food variety but my hunting partner can live on mh, and power bars for a week with no problem. I

Offline aorams

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2015, 03:23:02 PM »
Thanks everyone.

I'm going to add 4 more rounds and vary up my food a bit.  Otherwise, I'd like this list to carry me through any of our modern firearm seasons.  I'll probably replace my primaloft jacket with something like Kifaru's Lost Parka after the high hunt and look into a more insulating sleep system for later in the year.  My shelter has a stove jack.  Any of you have any luck packing one of the titanium stoves into the woods for extended stays?

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2015, 03:38:40 PM »
Not a bad list, nothing major I would change.

I also carry a cord around my neck with a lighter, button compass, extra truck key, whistle and small ferro rod.  That said, I almost never start a fire backpacking, it would be an emergency thing.  Takes time, makes a mess and I could care less.

I would also pack a few more rounds, you never know when you will run across a coyote or something else tasty.  Once, I had my scope off and missed so bad I needed to sight it in again.  I had the turret one complete revolution off.  I usually take two magazines with four rounds each.  That way, even if I lose one I'm still good to go.

Offline 7mag.

• Blacktail Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • YAR member
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2015, 06:07:20 PM »
Thanks everyone.

I'm going to add 4 more rounds and vary up my food a bit.  Otherwise, I'd like this list to carry me through any of our modern firearm seasons.  I'll probably replace my primaloft jacket with something like Kifaru's Lost Parka after the high hunt and look into a more insulating sleep system for later in the year.  My shelter has a stove jack.  Any of you have any luck packing one of the titanium stoves into the woods for extended stays?

I use the titanium Kifaru cylinder stove. Less than 2 pounds and works great, especially if you need to dry out wet gear.
Semper Fi. USMC

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2015, 07:21:03 PM »
Thanks everyone.

A titanium or stainless stove is awesome in the back country.  Some days its the best 2 lbs I've carried in. It can make a real difference when I'm alone (most of the time) or on nights after a wet/cold day.

Offline spin05

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2015, 04:18:59 AM »
looks pretty good.  Curious if you have wieghed it all yet????

Offline aorams

• Hunter
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2015, 08:33:20 AM »

53lbs all included with 3L water and food for 5 days

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2015, 09:26:27 AM »

53lbs all included with 3L water and food for 5 days

Sounds very reasonable to me.

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2015, 09:50:03 AM »
That's very good! Any ideas on your total pack weight? For me I don't count my weapon, boots, or clothes I wear in, as these are non negotiable items. Just estimating but your actual pack weight is prolly well under 40 even with optics. Nice!

Offline aorams

• Hunter
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2015, 11:49:57 AM »
That's very good! Any ideas on your total pack weight? For me I don't count my weapon, boots, or clothes I wear in, as these are non negotiable items. Just estimating but your actual pack weight is prolly well under 40 even with optics. Nice!

Thanks!!  My gun is 7.5 and 3 L of water is about 6.6lbs. My food comes in at about 1.25lbs per day so minus that stuff it's close to 34 lbs if my math is right.  What I can say for sure is that this process has extended our backcountry trips since the first time we did it and because my dad has a similar set up to mine he's still backpack hunting on foot at 65 years old!  Being able to hunt with my dad like this has been worth every penny/ounce.

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2015, 12:13:32 PM »
Yikes! 53 pounds is a lot of weight. I would start with looking into a smaller water bladder. 3L is a ton of water and not light at all. I doubt that you will drink all that before you can fill back up. The inline system you have is great though and makes your refill times that much faster. I also think a small bottle of some type would be good. I like to have a bottle back at camp to mix my Sqwencher packets into.

Take all the unnecessary packaging off of all items. Also, unless you think your going to need to provide pills for the whole mountain I would cut your medicine supply significantly. I think you can drop some weight for sure. 

Other than that though it looks pretty darn good.
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline aorams

• Hunter
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2015, 12:57:22 PM »
Yikes! 53 pounds is a lot of weight. I would start with looking into a smaller water bladder. 3L is a ton of water and not light at all. I doubt that you will drink all that before you can fill back up. The inline system you have is great though and makes your refill times that much faster. I also think a small bottle of some type would be good. I like to have a bottle back at camp to mix my Sqwencher packets into.

Take all the unnecessary packaging off of all items. Also, unless you think your going to need to provide pills for the whole mountain I would cut your medicine supply significantly. I think you can drop some weight for sure. 

Other than that though it looks pretty darn good.

How much weight would be a reasonable goal?  I could save 4.4 lbs by reducing to 1L of water and save another couple of oz. by reducing the amount of aspirin, ibuprofen and benadryl...  Anything else glaring I should consider?

Offline Branden

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2015, 01:02:40 PM »
If 53 pounds is skin out then you aren't doing bad at all. I think most guys carry more then that with a spotter etc.

I have done a 10 day hunt with 54#. But I don't bring a stove fuel etc and eat cold food.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal