collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Smokers for Dummies  (Read 12366 times)

Offline elkchaser

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Re: Smokers for Dummies
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2015, 06:25:53 PM »
I use a offset firebox smoker and use mostly wood, sometime lump charcoal. Here is a sweet one for sale. http://corvallis.craigslist.org/app/5126909345.html  Wish my wife would go for it

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2015, 06:30:56 PM »
Yea at 5k my wife wouldn't either. 😁

Offline Blacklab

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2015, 07:46:55 PM »
This was my last upgrade  ;)
Hey! I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though sometimes I wonder.

If you want to make God laugh tell him your plans.

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2015, 08:05:11 PM »
Get busy on the pizza oven :)

Offline Blacklab

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2015, 08:38:19 PM »
Get busy on the pizza oven :)

lmao!! I here ya  :brew: ;)

Hey! I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though sometimes I wonder.

If you want to make God laugh tell him your plans.

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2015, 07:36:45 PM »
Costco is demo'ing Traegers. Does anybody have the Junior Elite?

http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/detail/TFB29LZA#.VeEYMItidUQ

Costco is selling it for $350 (MSRP: $430) and it includes a few trinkets (rain cover, cook book, some spices, bag of pellets, etc). Main concern is whether I could fit a turkey in there. Seems like a few chickens or a few racks of ribs are no problem. Plus I think it might be a bit on the small side for cooking for the church group (12+ adults). The next markedly larger size available at Costco is $800  :bash:

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2015, 09:42:54 PM »
We had smoked corn and Chicken tonight! YUM!
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2015, 10:44:24 PM »
For what it is worth, I have a propane Smokevault that is awesome for chickens, turkeys, roasts, etc.  However, I cannot get the temp low enough to do salmon, and I wouldn't even think of trying to do cheese.  My Little Chief works gtreat for fish and would probably do cheese as well also.

Some way to regulate the temp w/o having to babysit would be the way to go.

Good luck.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2015, 10:56:41 PM »
Hey bean I don't think that small traeger will be enough for what you want.
I have a green mountain Daniel Boone that was around $500 that I love. It's cheaper than traeger and I think better built too.

Offline zike

• Scout
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2015, 11:23:31 PM »
I've used an old frig with an electric burner for years . Its great for salmon which is all I do, it holds a lot of fish. The best I can do is 180 when its warm, when its cold its like 150. I picked up a propane smoker at a yard sale last week for $5.00, I had to replace the brass fitting that attaches to the tank. But I though something was wrong with it,  I couldn't get it below 250. I guess thats a problem with propane, It might be OK when its cold.

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2015, 12:52:00 AM »
Thank you, gentlemen.  8)

I agree with Bullblaster. The price point @ $350 is attractive but if I'm going to constantly whine about how small it is, why bother?

I think I've seen Green Mountain at Sportsmans Warehouse. I haven't looked into them much and maybe its time I do. I don't think the hopper and auger are the most complex pieces of technology so I doubt any one company has a monopoly on quality. Besides, Black Friday is just three months away. Good things come to those who wait!  :IBCOOL:

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2015, 03:33:54 AM »
Ok stupid question day:

If you get one of the larger pellet smokers, I assume it uses markedly more pellets to maintain a temperature than a smaller smoker, right? Because the interior cooking chamber is larger?  :dunno:

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2015, 07:56:26 AM »
Ok stupid question day:

If you get one of the larger pellet smokers, I assume it uses markedly more pellets to maintain a temperature than a smaller smoker, right? Because the interior cooking chamber is larger?  :dunno:
Theoretically yes it will use more, the question is, how much and how to verify it.

Smoker size is a key factor in what one to choose too.  How much do you currently smoke, how much do you see yourself smoking most of the time, what other uses will it see? (Cooking pizzas is very common and very good!  So make sure you have a unit deep enough to handle your needs...  These are what we need to base our decision on in terms of size.  There are tricks many do to increase capacity of existing smokers though as well.

I am a GMG fan.  Not going to say I have not had my issues and struggles, but EVERY brand has it's little quirks.  I went GMG DB Wifi for a few reasons.  GMG goes high temp(500*), that is usable for grilling burgers, etc which is 80% of what I do.  I also liked that the GMG was a tall cooking area, make cooking turkey's ham's, tall items very easy.  The wifi for me just added ability to monitor it while inside watching football etc as well as do programmed cooks and temp changes..

What that tall chamber also does is it also allows to add a second shelf and double cooking capacity.  That lets you get away with a smaller overall smoker but still able to fit allot on it when the need arrises.  The current popular trick is to buy TWO front shelfs when you buy your GMG, one you mount in front like designed, the other you install inside the smoker which gives you a removable full size second shelf.  I easily fit 2 8-9# pork shoulders on my DB with lots of room around them for air movement.  I could probably get a 3rd on it, but they would be touching..  Second shelf doubles that ability..

Does that help at all?

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2015, 02:58:04 PM »
Yes thanks. I have a promotional offer for Traeger that may be too hard to resist. Even for wanting to only spend $150 on a basic used one when this search began  :bash:

Texas Pro: $640 + 75 shipping. http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/detail/BBQ075.04#.VfH4lOnn20s

Lil Texas Pro: $510 + 75 ship. http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/detail/BBQ07E.06#.VfH4oenn20s
This is bigger than the Jr. Elite I was considering above. If I go with the 'Lil it seems like i should get the  dual shelf accessory ($32) http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/detail/BAC214#.VfH5M-nn20s
That way when we occasionally cook for our church group we can do a rack of ribs or a brisket on the lower level and burgers, chickens, or buns or whatever on the top. But after adding that accessory... its only $100 more to go for the bigger  :rolleyes:

I just got off the phone with Traeger and they said that the larger one only uses a nominally greater amount of pellets. Not sure if they're being honest or just trying to upsell me. They also said that everyone who gets the smaller one wishes they had gone big, but that the Lil Tex will hold a 20-24 pond turkey no problem.

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2015, 03:00:26 PM »
You are the brains of the group buy operations. Is there a minimum bag number order you must order? Do you have to pay freight charges? PM me if that's more appropripriate. Thanks.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]