collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hiking out at night.  (Read 35321 times)

Offline Hectocotylus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
Hiking out at night.
« on: August 17, 2015, 11:04:15 PM »
This is my first year big game hunting, any tips to make a possible later night walk out more fun or safer? Did one evening hunt already and navigation sure goes to crap when it gets dark can't imagine being on a not well defined trail in those circumstances. Head lamps are obvious but they don't fix all the problems. Looking for perspectives or stories about the bear that ate you when it got dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
Re: Hiking out at night.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 11:12:02 PM »
Have some flagging or a marker along the trail if you're concerned with the navigation.  For safety, attach the headlamp lower like your belt or just carry in your hand.  It will throw the shadows better, like the difference in tracking in the morning/evening vs tracking at noon.

Offline HUNTaHOLIC5

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 11:36:03 PM »
Be sure to look out ahead of you aways and not just right in front of your feet. It's not a fun moment to realize you just about stepped off a cliff  :yike:. Some of my most memorable and fun times are packing out animals in the dark.

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 12:12:48 AM »
I wind up out after dark all the time. I'll have 3-4 flashlights. 2 is NOT enough. Extra batteries for your GPS, and. Game plan with your family.

Offline Firedogg

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 12:27:22 AM »
Always be ready to spend the night.  And like has already been said, batteries and extra lights. Came out of the woods one night in the dark and as I got to the road my one light died. When it's dark out there, it's really dark. On a moonless night you might as well be using a white cane to find your way.
There is no greater respect to have for wildlife than to harvest an animal fairly and use it's flesh to feed your family.  ~me

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 12:38:34 AM »
In the deep timber you need a light, but i would just go on a walkabout some time and not use one. Ive done a bit of hiking at night and prefer not to use one... If its really that dark then i do recomend the waste level or lower, i think it helps preserve the night sight.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 02:34:50 AM »
Head lamp and a flashlight if navigating a small trail or going cross country.  I now carry a small LED with a beam you can see from space.  Gives me about 16 hours per set of batteries.  Flashlight low and headlamp high.  Helps you see those killer spider webs before they bust you in the freak.

As far as creatures in the dark?  I only get nervous when I'm getting close to the truck.  That's where I'm most likely to run into those creepy two legged night dwellers.  I don't care much for them!  Had a few cougars track me through the woods, but that's about it.  I never worry about bear down here.
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 02:51:26 AM »
I have been in some country that once it gets dark you better be to a trail or know exactly where you are to get out. Areas with lots of drop offs,slides and cliffs its not smart to be finding your way out in that stuff best to sleep there. I carry my head lamp plus a small flashlight and have my iphone in case

Offline IBspoiled

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 03:19:52 AM »
Make sure you are hiking with someone who is slower than you and if you hear a bear run fast :chuckle:

Offline IBspoiled

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 03:37:13 AM »
All joking aside bears are no joke at nite, I went for a day hike and ended up walking the last 4 miles of gravel road in the pitch black. I heard what I thought was something run away in the brush, no biggy  then I heard it again and realized it was coming at me. so i picked up the pace. every time i moved it ran for me untill it reached the side of the road next to me. I yelled profanity really loud and kicked gravel at it in the dark and it ran off.  :o

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 04:55:24 AM »
I'm out a lot at night.  I've got some serious stories.  Lol.  It's when the hair on the back of your neck goes up and you have no idea why. 

Offline JJB11B

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 05:15:49 AM »
Not gonna lie here, I am a little uneasy in the dark when I am not armed to the teeth
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."
Shane Falco

Offline rasbo

• Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 05:21:16 AM »
I used them tacks to mark my way in and out that glow when light hits them,caution don't put them side by side with a 3 inch gap,holy moly batman,I about freaked when them two beady eyes were staring at me,,lol when not using them keep the light from messing with your eyes and use the gps

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 05:59:01 AM »
Scariest thing out there are those dam night hawks that buzz right past your head!!!
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 06:17:22 AM »
Not gonna lie here, I am a little uneasy in the dark when I am not armed to the teeth

I didn't start carrying a flashlight until I got married.  I absolutely love walking in the dark.  Cool, peaceful, seems quieter and I seem to be able to walk further and faster if on trail.  If course with getting older comes loss of low light vision.  So I can't do it like I did when I was young. 

I miss those days!  I'd walk right up on deer, elk and bear.  They wouldn't know what I was until I was practically on top of them.  One bear I jumped in the same spot, same ditch same time three nights in a row.  Like having a 300# grouse come out from under your feet.  Great fun if you just relax and enjoy it. 

The cats do freak me out a little.  As do those darn owls that nock your hat off.  They can hit you rather hard sometimes!  Glad they never sunk any talons into my scalp.  The worst was almost stepping on a skunk on a really dark evening.  I never did see him, but he sure gave my pant leg a dosing :o
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU