collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: How much weight in your Elk Pack?  (Read 7446 times)

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
Re: How much weight in your Elk Pack?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 09:54:46 PM »
The banter cracks me up when folks on here that know each other from off the site give each other a hard time. Makes me feel at home
Oh I've never met rt... But have some mutual friends. I do like to harass the guys I know can take it on here.  :chuckle:
I do hope to meet rt sometime tho. He brings some excitement to this place!

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 10:18:59 PM »
Depends on what I have bags of available. The salt I buy is in 40# bags and the cob I buy is in 55# bags. Sometimes I dump it all, sometimes half.

Offline ELKBURGER

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2015, 05:51:07 AM »
The banter cracks me up when folks on here that know each other from off the site give each other a hard time. Makes me feel at home
Oh I've never met rt... But have some mutual friends. I do like to harass the guys I know can take it on here.  :chuckle:
Yeah Chris, you know how to give guys a hard time....remember the rash of chit you gave me last year about my pack...... Its a good thing I can take it :chuckle:

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2015, 07:04:50 AM »
Yeah Chris, you know how to give guys a hard time....remember the rash of chit you gave me last year about my pack...... Its a good thing I can take it :chuckle:
your elk pack has what? About 78 # before you add lunch?  :chuckle:  :sry:
I look at it as someone must like you to give you some chit. You can tell when it's friendly usually.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2015, 07:50:07 AM »
I have been training with my pack for awhile now. How much weight do train with?

Arre you talking about weight while daypack hunting or backpack into backcountry weight?

I train with a 30# bag of rocks or a 50# bag of salt in my pack. Walking, hiking, on the eliptical or doing step-ups.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Online Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2015, 07:54:42 AM »
This thread reminds me of when I was nine years old, getting ready for my first deer hunt.  I asked my father how many bullets he usually needs to bring. 

He told me, "usually zero"

Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2015, 08:35:22 AM »
Ill put a 50# bag of salt in my pack while mowing the lawn. For fitness hikes I put 30# in my pack.

Online Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2015, 08:37:38 AM »
Ill put a 50# bag of salt in my pack while mowing the lawn. For fitness hikes I put 30# in my pack.
Nice!  I bet your neighbors were wondering WTF

To break in my pack, I put 150# of lentils in my pack frame and hiked around the hills on my property.  My wife thought I was planting them and hollered at me to quit wasting feed :chuckle:

Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline nastybynature

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2015, 09:22:04 AM »
SO I have been loading up a 50# bag of mineral salts and hiking into where my cams are when I grab the pic/videos off them once every week or two. Usually leave half the bag there on the ground so do I pack out a little less. I also will often throw my 20lbs 1 year old girl into the top of my Mystery Ranch g-5000 when I take the salt in. It is kind of cool how she fits in there and boy she loves hiking with dad.

Couple weeks ago while out of town visiting family, I had her plus about 20lbs more in some food and drink for a total of just under 50# counting the weight of the pack itself. We hiked about a mile up a little creek called Quosatana Creek about 14 miles up the Rogue River to a little swimming hole with a rope swing to let the bigger kids swim for awhile. I am happy with the pack weight distribution so far and the only thing muscle wise that was sore was my quads and glutes. Now my feet in the flip flops with the ball bearing gravel/sand were not happy but that was skin abrasions and will not be an issue in my hunting boots.

I am hoping if I ever pack out any big game that I will be on an adrenaline high and deal with the extra/added weight.  ;) 8) :chuckle: :IBCOOL:
"On every question of construction, carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text, or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed."
--Thomas Jefferson to William Johnson, 1823

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline nastybynature

• Hunter
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2015, 09:37:56 AM »
This thread reminds me of when I was nine years old, getting ready for my first deer hunt.  I asked my father how many bullets he usually needs to bring. 

He told me, "usually zero"

Love this!!  :yeah:
"On every question of construction, carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text, or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed."
--Thomas Jefferson to William Johnson, 1823

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Offline wooltie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2015, 09:49:36 AM »
I think walking/hiking for a good two hours with around 100 lbs on your back is good training.  Not something to do every week per se, but every other week.  Rest of the time train 30-50 lbs.

Seems like over 70-80 lbs is a whole other experience, least for me.  And while I can go hours with 30-50 lb in my pack, doubling the weight requires a different pace.

Like training for half or full marathon--eventually you have to run for at least two hours, then three hours just to prepare your body for being in motion for that long (even at a slow, leisurely pace).  Point is to keep the body going.

My day pack weighs around 15-17 lbs I think.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 10:24:59 AM by wooltie »

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • High lead logger/ cutter
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2015, 10:04:07 AM »
My new pack set up, with all I need weighs maybe five-six pounds, with water.  Bikini frame,medium pod,gen 2hanging meat bag. Lord Bless the folks at Kifaru.
The way that you wander, is the way that you choose
The day that you tarry, is the day that you lose

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2015, 10:06:57 AM »
As for training,  I work hard all day physically,  so I'll be damned if I'm gonna walk around with salt and carp. My land backs up to state land, so I take a hike with rifle everyday.

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2015, 12:17:14 PM »
My new pack set up, with all I need weighs maybe five-six pounds, with water.  Bikini frame,medium pod,gen 2hanging meat bag. Lord Bless the folks at Kifaru.

How much water do you take?  I usually carry at least 4 pounds in water alone.  Probably carrying more weight than you give yourself credit for   :dunno:

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2015, 05:36:34 PM »
16oz water bottle. Don't drink tons during the day. Tank up in the a.m at dark, and when I get to camp. Don't drink much. Where I hunt, I ain't never far from a crick.  Water. Visine dropper of bleach kills the bad stuff.

So, no sir, I'm not. I just ain't gonna carry much of the stuff I'm constantly hopping over, wading through, know what I mean?
 I carry pb-j bagel, paperback, two bics, compass,map, ten foot of baling twine, one headlamp, one knife, diamond hone. Pretty light.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 05:42:29 PM by MountainWalk »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY