collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: what heavy 30 cal bullet would you take to the woods for bull moose in WA  (Read 16249 times)

Offline white121

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: Renton fish and game club
pending the fires stop and the rain starts i will be entering the woods to fill my any moose tag oct 1.my 308 has been giving me problems that i was going to use so I recently decided to get a 300 RUM sendero that i will bring to battle with me and i am getting ready to do load development for. I usually go straight for the nosler accubond as i have had lots of success. but that might not happen cause 1 i cant find the 200 accubond or 210 long range accubonds anywhere. 2 i dont plan on taking that far of a shot, mabey 400 yards max so i don't need the super high bc bullets.

just trying to pick some brains on good heavy bullets

Thanks, Shaun White

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68

Offline white121

• Tracker
Thanks for the input bobcat!

I know any bullet can fail but it seems that i hear about barnes not expanding and pin holing a animal more often than others.

maybe we have some other barnes guys here that can chime in one way or another

Shaun White

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • High lead logger/ cutter
200 or 220 Nosler partition.  Can't say anything about your RUM though.  Do know my 30'06 likes them. Only time it let me down was on the biggest Mt lion I've ever seen, last week of season for cat. I'm certain I killed it. Smelt it, couldn't find it. 

I've only seen one moose shot, and it was pathetically easy,  and he died without any complaints.  Everyone I know who has shot a moose has told me it was inside of 100 yards.
The way that you wander, is the way that you choose
The day that you tarry, is the day that you lose

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
You won't have a problem with a Barnes bullet not expanding, not at the velocities of your 300 Ultra. If you're worried about it, drop down to a 165 grain. Talk about shock when you hit your moose. Probably knock him right off his feet instantly.

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • High lead logger/ cutter
What's up with the 308? I'd take that instead.
The way that you wander, is the way that you choose
The day that you tarry, is the day that you lose

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
the barnes out of a RUM under 400 yards probably should be moving more than fast enough to open up.
I kind of like the 220 grain round noses.

Offline white121

• Tracker
yeah i figured it should be a close shot but if i do have to take a longer shot 300-400 yards i wanted some power behind it

nosler partitions came to mind for this job

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
You won't have a problem with a Barnes bullet not expanding, not at the velocities of your 300 Ultra. If you're worried about it, drop down to a 165 grain. Talk about shock when you hit your moose. Probably knock him right off his feet instantly.

Is this a bullet you reload personally or  have experience on a moose with?

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
Lots of good bullets but I'd choose a 165 or 168 grain Barnes.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68

Is this a bullet you reload personally or  have experience on a moose with?

Not that particular bullet but I've shot elk with 140 grain Barnes out of my 270 and I've seen elk shot with 168 grain Barnes out of a 300 Win Mag.

180 grain Accubonds would be another great choice, and they're available as well at Midway:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/113331/nosler-accubond-bullets-30-caliber-308-diameter-180-grain-bonded-spitzer-boat-tail-box-of-50?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Offline white121

• Tracker
mountain walk

as a former competitive ftr shooter i am used to pulling .25 moa groups all day with my 308's and i built a bat actioned 308 with a mike rock sporter barrel that just wont shoot the way i know it should (3 inch groups at 100 yards) so i got fustrated and gave up on it for a while and purchased the RUM.

I still might end up taking the 308 as my groups are getting better and better as i have more time to do load development. I have always wanted a 300 cannon for longrange fun anyways.

Offline USMC86

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Shaun,

Like you, I've used the Accubond with great success.  Also have had good luck with the Partitions.  I've done most of my recent hunting with the Barnes though and agree with some of the earlier positive commentary.  You won't have any problem with expansion- even at longer range- especially if you go with the tipped version.  The only problem- if it could be considered a problem- is the loss of some petals if you shoot one at really close range.  I've had that happen on one elk that I shot at close range.  Shot a kudu this spring in Namibia with a Barnes at a little over 200 yards and he just tipped over.

By they way, I'll be moose hunting in 49 degrees north this fall and Barnes will be in my gun!

Offline white121

• Tracker
i have 150, 165, and 180 accubonds just seems like theres plenty of speed so why not hit harder!

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
Midway has 200 accubond and 220 partition in stock

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal