collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: White muzzleloader white lighting twist rate  (Read 2684 times)

Offline EGrady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
White muzzleloader white lighting twist rate
« on: August 24, 2015, 08:20:40 PM »
I have a white, white lightning , I am trying to find the twist rate. From what I can find it's 1-24, is this right? I am going to try larger .458 barnes bullets to get better accuracy. Has anyone else tried this? I was thinking 400 to 500 grain bullets .

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
Re: White muzzleloader white lighting twist rate
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 08:10:21 AM »
I have a white, white lightning , I am trying to find the twist rate. From what I can find it's 1-24, is this right? I am going to try larger .458 barnes bullets to get better accuracy. Has anyone else tried this? I was thinking 400 to 500 grain bullets .

The White-Lightning is a 504 - 1-24 twist.  It will shoot just about anything accurately if you get the right fit.  It is a 504 bore so sabots tend to go down fairly easily.  I have shot many different sabots from mine.  You will need a HPH-12 or a MMP Short Black to get the correct fit.  With the 458 bullets the MMP Orange seems to work very well.

I shoot .458x305 gr. Lehigh' from mine for elk.

Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline EGrady

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 02:56:00 PM »
I am having trouble getting a good group under 2.5 in at 100 yards,with it shooting 250 grain blood line and barnes bullets. I have a williams peep sight and the stock fiber front sight. I have tried 90 to 120 grains of pyrodex and 777. I thought about buying some no excuse bullets but want to stay with a solid copper or brass. I was hoping a heavy bullet would work better. Any information would be helpful.

Offline TopOfTheFoodChain

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 03:17:46 PM »
I use Dave's No Excuses 460 grain in my .451. It loves them. Tried the 385 grain version and went right back to the 460.

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 06:34:46 PM »
I am having trouble getting a good group under 2.5 in at 100 yards,with it shooting 250 grain blood line and barnes bullets. I have a williams peep sight and the stock fiber front sight. I have tried 90 to 120 grains of pyrodex and 777. I thought about buying some no excuse bullets but want to stay with a solid copper or brass. I was hoping a heavy bullet would work better. Any information would be helpful.

The real question is which sabot are you using? If you are using a Harvester or a black HPH-24 they are probably to small.
Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline EGrady

• Pilgrim
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 08:39:41 AM »
I have not bought extra sabots yet, just using what I have from other bullets. My wife has a knight disk extreme and it has a really tight bore. I have to match sabots with bullets just to load it. I have been using the sabot/bullet combo that tightly fits the bore in my white lightning. I know that I need to buy more sabots but have not ordered any yet. 

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal