collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: GMU 346  (Read 9897 times)

Offline suttonmoore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
GMU 346
« on: August 25, 2015, 04:58:39 PM »
By the grace of one of my good friends we are being given the use of a cabin just off of 410 about 2 miles East of Whiskey Jacks in Naches. Don't have much experience hunting Mule Deer but have taken a few drives over there and up into the Forest Service roads across the river and up towards Milk Creek. I have seen a ton of does wandering around and all along the river. I'm not asking anyone to divulge their sweet-spot but would anyone mind giving me a few tips on where I might have good luck this season?

Thanks.

Offline hughjorgan

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
Re: GMU 346
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 05:37:02 PM »
The Yakima area has the lowest success rate for mule deer for quite sometime. If it were me I would look else where if you are looking to harvest a legal buck.

Offline fastdam

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 07:18:29 PM »
I live outside yakima and hunt deer here. My advice is cover as much ground as possible.

Offline muleyslayer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • I'd rather be hunting.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 09:05:51 PM »
I live outside yakima and hunt deer here. My advice is cover as much ground as possible.
:yeah:
Ive taken my deer in yakima county the last 4 hunting seasons. The success rates are low but if your will to cover ground you eventually get into some bucks. Goodluck!

Offline suttonmoore

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 07:32:33 AM »
From some people that I spoke to in the area I was told to get up high around Edgar Rock and cover ground up there. Also Milk and Gold creek offers decent access up high enough. Anyone have thoughts about these places?

If I pass on the cabin I will likely have to day trip to Fort Lewis this year as my other plans fell apart about 2 weeks ago.

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 07:40:47 AM »
There are bucks, and there is a lot of them.  Boots on the ground will reward your efforts. I've hunted it for deer for 29 years and cant remember not getting a buck.  Get away from roads!  Those places have a ton of roads and the stupid deer get taken out early.   

I have noticed a lot of deer will bed up and let you walk right in by.

Good luck
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 07:52:20 AM »
I love it. The difference between data, and boots on the ground. :tup:

The Yakima area has the lowest success rate for mule deer for quite sometime. If it were me I would look else where if you are looking to harvest a legal buck.

There are bucks, and there is a lot of them.  Boots on the ground will reward your efforts. I've hunted it for deer for 29 years and cant remember not getting a buck.  Get away from roads!  Those places have a ton of roads and the stupid deer get taken out early
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline hughjorgan

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 10:04:46 PM »

There are bucks, and there is a lot of them.  Boots on the ground will reward your efforts. I've hunted it for deer for 29 years and cant remember not getting a buck.  Get away from roads!  Those places have a ton of roads and the stupid deer get taken out early

Data and boots on the ground, huh? Here is data for you, not that I don't spend plenty of time in the area this gentlemen is inquiring about, but here you go...

2014 modern firearm success rate in 346 was....  3.1%

Archery was a whopping 5.1%

http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/harvest/2014/reports/deer_gmu.php?District=8

2013 modern firearm success rate in 346 was....  3.5%

Archery was 3.6%

http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/harvest/2013/reports/deer_gmu.php?District=8

2012 modern firearm success rate in the 346 was...   3.3%

Archery was 2.4%

http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/harvest/2012/reports/deer_gmu.php?District=8

Now I am not going to keep posting the data but you will find this for harvest in a lot of the GMUs in the Yakima/Ellensburg area for the last 10 years due to a louse problem that killed off a lot of deer, which they haven't rebounded from.

And as far as the OP question about areas, if you choose to hunt this unit Gold Creek would be my number one choice, then Edgar rock. Good luck, it is a tough hunt for deer, the data is there to tell you that.

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 10:07:59 PM »
One of the cabin owners in that group feed the deer. Shouldn't have to go to far.

Offline mfswallace

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 11:50:03 PM »
Now I am not going to keep posting the data but you will find this for harvest in a lot of the GMUs in the Yakima/Ellensburg area for the last 10 years due to a louse(native) problem that killed off a lot of deer, which they haven't rebounded from.

Hugh,
I think you misspelled the problem...  :yike:

Offline Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 11:54:59 PM »
 :yeah:  :yeah:

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Explorer
  • R.I.P. Colockumelk 20130423. Semper Fi!
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 01:23:30 AM »
Now I am not going to keep posting the data but you will find this for harvest in a lot of the GMUs in the Yakima/Ellensburg area for the last 10 years due to a louse (native, non-native poachers) problem that killed off a lot of deer, which they haven't rebounded from.

Hugh,
I think you misspelled the problem...  :yike:

:tup: grammar error so I corrected it for you. :chuckle:
If you can read thank a teacher, If you can read in English thank a Marine! 
Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother!

"Around this camp, there's only one Chief; the rest are Indians!"

"Give me 15 more minutes, I was dreaming of Beavers!"

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 05:51:11 AM »

Data and boots on the ground, huh? Here is data for you, not that I don't spend plenty of time in the area this gentlemen is inquiring about, but here you go...

Archery was 3.6%

Archery was 2.4%

Now I am not going to keep posting the data but you will find this for harvest in a lot of the GMUs in the Yakima/Ellensburg area for the last 10 years due to a louse problem that killed off a lot of deer, which they haven't rebounded from.

And as far as the OP question about areas, if you choose to hunt this unit Gold Creek would be my number one choice, then Edgar rock. Good luck, it is a tough hunt for deer, the data is there to tell you that.

Data numbers are like the politicians, never trust them.  What is true is that very few people hunt this unit for deer, so thats part of the reason for low harvest rates.

Yes 346 lost a ton of deer years back, but they are coming back strong. 

Heres a good one for you, I took my buck last year with my bow during modern rifle season..  Get away from the roads is my best advice for the OP
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline hughjorgan

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 06:44:04 AM »

Archery was 3.6%

Archery was 2.4%

Data numbers are like the politicians, never trust them.  What is true is that very few people hunt this unit for deer, so thats part of the reason for low harvest rates.

Yes 346 lost a ton of deer years back, but they are coming back strong. 

Heres a good one for you, I took my buck last year with my bow during modern rifle season..  Get away from the roads is my best advice for the OP

You are correct there are not as many hunting deer in these areas any more but there was still some 600+ modern rifle hunters with less than 4% success rate. There are bucks but not a lot of them, contrary to your post saying there are.

How many years out of the last 10 have you harvested a legal buck?

Nice job on the bow kill, wasn't last year your first year bow hunting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 06:50:16 AM »
work hard and get into the crap !
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]