collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Tree stand on DNR land  (Read 33783 times)

Offline Seabass

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Tree stand on DNR land
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2015, 04:24:11 PM »

The duck blind comparison is ABSOLUTELY ASININE!! For so many reasons I can't even begin to list. When you start buying duck blinds and hanging them 20 feet off the ground then w'ell talk. When you hunt an individual duck and can prove that.....we'll talk. When ducks start living solitary lives in heavy cover......we'll talk. When the state limits you to a single duck per season and you get 23 days to find that single duck.....we'll talk. When "hanging" a duck blind becomes dangerous.....we'll talk. I could go on and on and on with more reasons why big game hunting and waterfowl hunting have little in common beyond the description of hunting.

You must not duck hunt much. Many places duck blinds are built well and those who built them feel like they own them. Some have been used by the same families and parties for generations. Heck there are blinds made from big pontoon boats worth thousands of dollars anchored and left in the potholes all season long.

And why would bag limits and perceived level of danger have anything to do with using an abandoned blind or tree stand?

It seems crazy to me that people think they can leave a stand on public land and then pitch a fit if someone finds it and uses it. Even the law makes it clear. 

And for the record, I have on two occasions been in a duck blind more than 20 ft off the ground.
Do you bow hunt? Do you hunt from a tree stand?

Offline ghostshell

• Tracker
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2015, 06:08:28 PM »
have many times. i use a lone wolf. stash it next to tree under layers of foliage. no one will ever see it. climb and leave your bow hanger and pack hanger for a reference to climb to in the dark to keep your headlamp on minimal during darkness when you go to hunt. beats packin it day in day out. good luck!

Offline Turner89

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2015, 06:21:27 PM »
have many times. i use a lone wolf. stash it next to tree under layers of foliage. no one will ever see it. climb and leave your bow hanger and pack hanger for a reference to climb to in the dark to keep your headlamp on minimal during darkness when you go to hunt. beats packin it day in day out. good luck!
I do the same when using my climber. I usually leave it setup at the bottom of the tree. I also will sometimes leave my pack up in the tree, if im leaving at dark, and returning in the morning.
" if your a 20 year old and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. If your a 40 year old and not a conservative,  you don't have a brain"

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2015, 07:08:34 PM »
This is located on public lands NF. I would say first come ,first serve.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2015, 08:11:43 PM »
Now this one on NF, I would say you are asking for trouble crawling in here.  I would say excuse me sir I am moving my blind. You are welcome to sit right next to it, if you want. I will take a nap while you hunt.

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline sled

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2015, 08:17:01 PM »

someone in it :rolleyes:...better be prepared for me if I ever see someone in one my stand
First come first serve on dnr. Don't like it don't set up on public land. Pretty simple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thats bs bud.  You are a lazy ass if you take someone's stand.  Wow!  Your a member here?

Offline Brad Harshman

• Longhunter
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2015, 08:49:36 PM »
The duck blind comparison is ABSOLUTELY ASININE!! For so many reasons I can't even begin to list. When you start buying duck blinds and hanging them 20 feet off the ground then w'ell talk. When you hunt an individual duck and can prove that.....we'll talk. When ducks start living solitary lives in heavy cover......we'll talk. When the state limits you to a single duck per season and you get 23 days to find that single duck.....we'll talk. When "hanging" a duck blind becomes dangerous.....we'll talk. I could go on and on and on with more reasons why big game hunting and waterfowl hunting have little in common beyond the description of hunting.
Sure you can list a million reasons why waterfowl hunting is different than big game hunting.  But can you list how they're similar?  We're all hunters.  We all hunt wild animals, for the sake of this issue and particular arguement, we use public lands.  What does this mean - we rely on a resource that we don't have immediate control over.  Therefore we have to SHARE this finite resource. Is it right to stake a claim on something that isn't owned by you; like a duck blind, a 400 class bull elk, or a tree on DNR land? 
I'm not advocating people to sit in another hunters climbing tree stand, don't get wrong, what I'm saying is don't create a blind on public land with the intent to keep others from using it and the area around it.  Just because you lock your temporary tree stand to the base of a tree doesn't give you RIGHTS to hunting the land around it.  The tree stand is yours, bought and paid for, just like a game camera, but the public land or tree it is locked too isn't. 
It's unsportsmanlike to take or use others property.  It's equally unsportsmanlike to attempt to privatize public land by locking your private property to it. 

Sportsmanship is dieing; everyone needs to ask themselves - am I part of the solution or problem?

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2015, 08:52:23 PM »

And soon to be burned up.

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #68 on: September 04, 2015, 08:54:09 PM »
Sure you can list a million reasons why waterfowl hunting is different than big game hunting.  But can you list how they're similar?  We're all hunters.  We all hunt wild animals, for the sake of this issue and particular arguement, we use public lands.  What does this mean - we rely on a resource that we don't have immediate control over.  Therefore we have to SHARE this finite resource. Is it right to stake a claim on something that isn't owned by you; like a duck blind, a 400 class bull elk, or a tree on DNR land? 
I'm not advocating people to sit in another hunters climbing tree stand, don't get wrong, what I'm saying is don't create a blind on public land with the intent to keep others from using it and the area around it.  Just because you lock your temporary tree stand to the base of a tree doesn't give you RIGHTS to hunting the land around it.  The tree stand is yours, bought and paid for, just like a game camera, but the public land or tree it is locked too isn't. 
It's unsportsmanlike to take or use others property.  It's equally unsportsmanlike to attempt to privatize public land by locking your private property to it. 

Sportsmanship is dieing; everyone needs to ask themselves - am I part of the solution or problem?

:yeah:

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2015, 08:55:16 PM »

Yeah but I switched areas.

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2015, 08:56:40 PM »

Yeah the logging took alot of them out but there is a couple left.

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2015, 09:01:19 PM »
If you do put up a blind, ty hard not to do any resource damage and make sure it is temporary and th3 area is rehabbed after hunting season. I have seen and taken down several tree stands that interfere with the growth of the trees or are simply abandoned.

I found a brand new one the other day in the wilderness and noticed the person cut the top of a green tree to put a stand on top of it.  I reported it and he will be suprised when he gets a visit from wilderness ranger on the archery elk opener.

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2015, 09:07:21 PM »
I found several blinds in the Nile , some rather fancy ground blinds with locking doors and screwed in plywood walls.

And as a side note I could not wrap my head around some of the out houses I found. Some of them were better than a lot of farm pump houses.

Offline Gobble Doc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2015, 09:18:13 PM »
Enlightening thread.

Offline Maverick

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2015, 09:09:40 AM »
If someone sets a tree stand right next to me and hunts I'd be upset but nothing I can do. If I show up to hunt and someone is in my tree stand now we have a real problem. Its a code of ethics between bow hunters. Don't even try saying duck blinds are the same. Its a totally different hunt and totally different situation. If you don't understand the code of ethics between bow hunters you either don't bow hunt and if you do then you shouldn't. Just because something is legal doesn't mean you should do it.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]