collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Is it OK to keep magazines loaded all the time?  (Read 8785 times)

Offline magnumb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Is it OK to keep magazines loaded all the time?
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 09:55:26 PM »
From much reading over the years, the general consensus from multiple sources (specifically dedicated reloading, handgun, rifle magazine articles) have most always promoted keeping your mags loaded, unless of course you never plan to use certain one's.

In tests aimed at obtaining as definitive an answer as possible to this question, the results showed that the loading/unloading of mags taxes the springs substantially more than just keeping them loaded.  These sources all came to the same conclusion which initially was a toss-up for me in regards to how the results would play out.

I do know that upon purchasing new Glock mags or a new Glock with mags, that I immediately fully load each one of them when brand new and let them sit for several weeks.  I then test each mag out thoroughly for reliability and then fully load them again or discard (hasn't happened, as yet) and set them aside for........whenever.  Any Glock owner should tell you that all subsequent reloading of that new mag after using this method allows for easier loadings from that point forward.  Not super easy loadings in most cases, but certainly 'easier' than when brand new. 

Most all of my 35 Glock mags are fully loaded, but I have little doubt that most mags (read......springs) will outlast everyone of us no matter how we choose to deal with this concern.  But since the effort to keep them fully loaded is free and not very time consuming, I opt to believe these past sources as they get paid to do such tests.

YMMV........

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2015, 10:24:47 PM »
I have had some mags that have been loaded for 10+ years.  Been in the same ammo can.  I should check on those, but they were brand new, loaded, boxed and haven't been touched since.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline 6.8mmARHunter

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2015, 06:42:23 AM »
I have had some mags that have been loaded for 10+ years.  Been in the same ammo can.  I should check on those, but they were brand new, loaded, boxed and haven't been touched since.

That's the scenario I'm interested in. Magazines that are fully loaded and then stored for extended periods of time. Any chance you could unload one of those and see what you think regarding spring strength etc... ?

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2015, 07:01:59 AM »
It depends on how good the steel is.  There are many mechanical designs that rely on a compressed spring to stay compressed for years, even for decades.  If the proper steel is selected and it is properly heat treated the spring constant will not degrade significantly.

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2015, 07:05:04 AM »
It depends on how good the steel is.  There are many mechanical designs that rely on a compressed spring to stay compressed for years, even for decades.  If the proper steel is selected and it is properly heat treated the spring constant will not degrade significantly.

:yeah:

Springs degrade from cycles, frequency and amplitude.  Constant compression should not affect a correctly made spring, even if measured in years or decades.

Offline magnanimous_j

• Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2015, 09:44:20 AM »
Tag.

I load my spare high capacity mag to about 50% because I have the same concern,

From what I've read, that's the one thing you're not supposed to do. Since springs work by metal memory, having the spring sit have compressed will make it act unpredictably. You should keep it unloaded or fully loaded.

Just what I've read, so take that for what it's worth.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2015, 09:50:56 AM »
It's primarily a factor of the quality of the springs.

FWIW: https://www.gunsprings.com/faq#Faq5

5. How often should I change magazine spring?  Should I unload my magazines, rotate magazines, load with fewer than the maximum rounds?   

Magazine springs in semi-auto pistols are one of the most critical springs and are the subject of much debate and concern. Magazines which are kept fully loaded for long periods of time, such as in law enforcement and personal/home defense applications, will generally be subject to more fatigue than the weekend shooter's magazine springs in which the magazines are loaded up only when shooting.

Magazine design and capacity also affect the longevity of the spring. In many older pistol designs,  maximum capacity was not the always the goal such as with the 7 round 1911 Colt magazines will last for years fully loaded.  There was room for more spring material in these guns which reduces overall stress and increases the usable life of the spring.

More recently higher capacity magazine have become popular. These are designed to hold more rounds with less spring material often in the same space. This puts more stress on the spring and will cause it to fatigue at a faster rate. Unloading these magazines a round or two will help the life of the spring. Rotating fully loaded magazines will also help the problem somewhat but it is not always practical.

In applications where the magazine must be kept loaded at all times, a high quality magazine spring such as Wolff extra power magazine springs, will provide maximum life. Regular replacement of magazine springs will provide the best defense against failure from weak magazine springs. Regular shooting of the pistol is the best way to be sure the springs are still functioning reliably.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2015, 12:02:07 PM »
I also rotate my mags. I keep 5 loaded with PDXs for every day carry and home defense. All the others are loaded up with solids for punching paper.  When I go through my cleaning retinue, I also rotate the mags more out of habit than need.
If you shoot often, just rotate your carry mags.
I honestly have never had a mag spring go bad, besides,
most magazines the springs are pretty easy to replace.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Mongo Hunter

• Longhunter
  • Pew Pew lifestyle
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2015, 12:17:41 PM »
Imo. Leaving a mag loaded will not adversely affect a spring. All mine stay loaded. The cycling of a spring is what causes it to wear out or stretching or compressing beyond normal dimensions. Sitting loaded will not affect it any more than and probably actually less than loading and unloading frequently.
I learned about springs in engineering school.

+1

Springs wear our in compression cycles. leaving loaded or unloaded makes no difference. I leave all my mags loaded all the time.
Vegetarian: Old Indian word for Bad Hunter.

Offline XAFSSGT

• The Nice Guy from HR
  • Past Sponsor
  • Scout
  • Wannabe Bowhunter with an MBA
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2015, 12:24:54 PM »
This has to be one of the most highly debated topics in firearms.  The truth seems to be that nobody knows for sure.

I personally keep my magazines loaded and about twice a year, I unload them for about a week, and then reload them.

Does it do anything significant? Hell if I know, but it's not that difficult to do, and satisfies piece of mind.
-Darrell

“We need the iron qualities that go with true manhood. We need the positive virtues of resolution, of courage, of indomitable will, of power to do without shirking the rough work which must always be done.” ~Theodore Roosevelt

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2015, 12:35:46 PM »
This has to be one of the most highly debated topics in firearms.  The truth seems to be that nobody knows for sure.

I personally keep my magazines loaded and about twice a year, I unload them for about a week, and then reload them.

Does it do anything significant? Hell if I know, but it's not that difficult to do, and satisfies piece of mind.
If it gives you peace of mind that is enough for you to do it.
I honestly don't think that 95% of guys could ever wear out a magazine short of sitting and loading/unloading it all day every day. Hell I have mags from my grandpa that are 70+ years old and still function. My personal opinion is it really doesn't matter. Besides mags are pretty cheap also. Buy a new one if a guy gets worried about it.

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2015, 12:36:45 PM »
lets get a bad guy in front of me and we will see if it matters  :chuckle:
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline NW-GSP

• Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2015, 12:41:09 PM »
Springs are cheap. Replace them every few years. I was told this by the firearm armourer where I worked.

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2015, 12:42:32 PM »

:yeah:

Springs degrade from cycles, frequency and amplitude.  Constant compression should not affect a correctly made spring, even if measured in years or decades.

:tup:
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline jaymark6655

• Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2015, 12:45:14 PM »
Imo. Leaving a mag loaded will not adversely affect a spring. All mine stay loaded. The cycling of a spring is what causes it to wear out or stretching or compressing beyond normal dimensions. Sitting loaded will not affect it any more than and probably actually less than loading and unloading frequently.
I learned about springs in engineering school.
:yeah: X2
Mechanical Engineer, I use to swap my loaded and unload mags every month until I learned about springs.  Now I just load them all and let them sit, shot earlier this year no problems with mags that have been loaded for about 3 years.
"That's the reason we pay $25 for a recoil lug made by a professional instead of one for $0.50 made by Micheal J Fox using a dremel!"

"Women should be treated the same as a French Rifle, dropped at the first sign of trouble."

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal