collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Under Armour  (Read 8035 times)

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
Under Armour
« on: August 27, 2015, 12:53:32 PM »
So last year I bought some Kuiu gear.  It was my first time buying quality camo and it's some really good stuff.  But.....I will never be able to afford the whole matching layering system.  So I'm thinking about dumping my 2 pieces of Kuiu gear and going all out Under Armour.  I have a few things from UA and they seem to be quality without the absolute crazy price, just fairly pricey. 

Anybody use UA?  Heat gear or Cold gear?  Good?  Bad?  Looking for some input  :tup:

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
Re: Under Armour
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 12:59:03 PM »
Why not keep the kuiu and add some other stuff to it? The buying and selling of hunting apparel I see is mind boggling. I buy something and use it till it wear it out.

Offline Dhoey07

• Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 01:03:59 PM »
Why not keep the kuiu and add some other stuff to it? The buying and selling of hunting apparel I see is mind boggling. I buy something and use it till it wear it out.

Sorry for boggling your mind but to answer your question, Price

Offline BIGDOG253

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Go COUGS!
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 01:07:48 PM »
:yeah: I bought a lot of Kuiu gear for outer layers and use different brands like UA and FL for a base layer. I don't think the price difference between Kuiu and the new UA stuff is that much anyway.

Offline northwesthunter84

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 01:08:19 PM »
I ran the base layers for many years, they work but are synthetic so can get pretty funky fast especially if its warmer.  That is why I switched to merino wool.  I looked at the sets (ridge reaper) and such.  They are much heavier and are more comparable to big box store camo in the manner.  I had a couple of buddies that had the outer layers and they held up well but the material did suck up some water which made them a little uncomfortable as I was told. The new stuff looks nice but the price is really up there, so I go back to you get what you pay for sometimes.  As a side note I noticed that Cabelas has started a layering system similar to Sitka, Kuiu and Core 4.  The prices are a little lower but not by much.  That's why I went with Kuiu, the difference in price comparing the materials.  Sitka was not even an option, plus I was kind of tired of the underperforming Gore-Tex (great waterproofness, terrible breathability).

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 01:15:22 PM »

Sorry for boggling your mind but to answer your question, Price
How does price make you sell your clothing? You will take a beating selling it.
Why not add some base layers of another brand. Usually Costco has paradox merino in the fall for reasonable price. Or the poly stuff from Costco is pretty good and won't break the bank. I also have some poly camo t shirts I got from Walmart for $7 that I wear when the weather is hot. You don't need to have all matching.  :twocents: I understand that the top shelf geAr is expensive but you already have and paid for the kuiu. I would keep it.

Offline Dhoey07

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 01:30:48 PM »
Maybe I'll just win their Ultimate Western Hunting Package and won't have to worry about it  :chuckle:

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 01:45:06 PM »
I run a lot of UA gear and really like it all. I have heat gear and cold gear base layers as well as a cold gear mid layer. I also run a few different pair of gloves and pair of pants. The main reason I like them is the fit, which is one of the main complaints I hear from people who dislike it. I am 6'1" and about 180 lbs and I like more form fitting clothes because bulky stuff drives me nuts. I agree with the fact that they can get a bit skunky because of the material but I have multiple pieces and switch them out so rarely run into any issue.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline BIGDOG253

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
  • Go COUGS!
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 02:47:46 PM »
I ran the base layers for many years, they work but are synthetic so can get pretty funky fast especially if its warmer.  That is why I switched to merino wool. 
What do you mean by funky? I was wearing the 1/4 zip when I was out scouting on a hot day and noticed an odd smell towards the end of the day and it was only coming from the shirt. It was not a pleasant smell either.

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 03:28:36 PM »
Personally, I think UA is way over priced for what it is.  Its just Nylon or Polypro, just like all your Russel Gear, Sportsmans warehouse brand, Cabelas, etc.  Heck, Costco always has a different assortment of Merino wool tops in solid colors that will way out perform anything poly.  Of course if your concerned about matching, then that may not work.  just my  :twocents:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline turkeyfeather

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NWTF
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 04:01:57 PM »
I prefer UA. I have tried cheaper or off brand stuff. It is not the same in my opinion. You do pay a little more for the UA name but I do think your getting a better product as well.
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is who you actually are while your reputation is merely who others think you are.

Offline Eli346

• Eli
  • Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 04:08:45 PM »
I've been using XSystems for years from DeerGear.com and it's cheap, works very well, and doesn't get 'funky' at all. I've just used the light base layers as I run hot and don't need a lot of insulated clothes on me but they've worked great for years. They have a silver product in them that combats any odors and that lasts a long time. I can use 2 sets on a 10 day hunt and that costs less than one set of anything else I've seen out there that works.

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 04:09:40 PM »
I prefer UA. I have tried cheaper or off brand stuff. It is not the same in my opinion. You do pay a little more for the UA name but I do think your getting a better product as well.
I've only tried a few items and must have had some bad luck I guess.  Only UA I have used that held up was their compression stuff.  Still have a couple heat gear tops from high school :chuckle:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline SemperFidelis97

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 04:16:15 PM »
I run a lot of UA gear and really like it all. I have heat gear and cold gear base layers as well as a cold gear mid layer. I also run a few different pair of gloves and pair of pants. The main reason I like them is the fit, which is one of the main complaints I hear from people who dislike it. I am 6'1" and about 180 lbs and I like more form fitting clothes because bulky stuff drives me nuts. I agree with the fact that they can get a bit skunky because of the material but I have multiple pieces and switch them out so rarely run into any issue.

Agreed with the fit part where I hunt deer I do a ton of walking, and glassing.  I need something that will keep the wind, and cold off, but also not feel like I am wearing a snow suit.  During my elk hunting if the elk are talking I sometimes really have to push some brush to get to them, and the last thing I want is a bunch of loose material to catch everything, or get in the way when I need to draw my bow.  I just picked up some Sitka stuff the other day I will see how it holds up this season.

Offline notsosneaky

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 04:42:43 PM »
Love my Sitka gear, but it's taken a few years to get all the parts I want/need. For the money you can't beat kuiu, it really is high quality at a reasonable price.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal